Looking for ink for my VIC-1525 printer ribbon

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Looking for ink for my VIC-1525 printer ribbon

Post by eslapion »

Hello,
I know it is still possible to buy ribbons for the VIC-1525 but I already have one. I was wondering if it is possible to simply put new ink in it.

However, I want to put the right type of ink that will not dry and ruin the ribbon.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i could not find the actual type of ink mentioned, but maybe some of these links will be of help:

http://ed-thelen.org/1401Project/Tricks ... bbons.html

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... /Christmas

http://freenet.vcu.edu/sigs/genealogy/ribs.txt

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum ... -2010.html

http://www.nsnet.org/ccw/
COLCHESTER RE-INKING

A new and innovative idea: RE-INKING of old and used-up fabric printer ribbons instead of discarding them in the landfill areas. Ink is directly applied to the original ribbon. It is of a vegetable base and contains no solids, therefore environmentally friendly.

By the introduction of this system, inventories can be cut, and savings of up to 40% realized on ribbon budgets. Ribbons can be re-inked up to 50 times.

This is one of the very few recycling programs which actually see a great reduction in dollars spent.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Thanks for your help!

Starting from your first link which mentions the MacInker, which was called like that before the Macintosh computer even existed, I found Computer Friends which make and sell the device.

They sell ink for Dot Matrix printers I could directly use to reink my ribbon.

But they also sell a dedicated machine specifically designed to reInk VIC-1525 ribbons!!! I supposed they don't sell these everyday!
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

hmm, can you point me to where you can buy a 1525 ribbon??

oldsoftware does not have them any more....
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I've been looking for replacement ribbons for this printer (1525) for years too.

One company had one ribbon in the states, but didn't sell it to me as it was already all dried up in the package.

Unfortunately, because of the specific loop size of the ribbon in the 1525, you cannot just pull the replacement ribbon out of any old dot matrix cartridge. Some people have had luck cutting and splicing the ribbon, but it's not perfect.

I was told that the ink used to recharge ink stamp pads (sold in bottle form at STAPLES) is okay to use for printer ribbons.

I haven't done anything to test it though, but do think it is oil and not water based, which would be the same as printer ribbon ink.

I did pick up a bottle (only about $6CAD) but haven't needed to use it yet because I have spare ribbons for my MPS801 (which you still CAN buy ribbons for).

Also, you can buy new printer ribbon cartridges, and just "steal" the ribbon out of them to drop into your MPS-801 cartridge casing.

But it would be nice to get the 1525 working again as it matches the VIC-20 casing, so please let us know if you find a stash of ribbons for it!

It is compatible with a Sankyo or Siekoshika printer and the Gorilla Banana I think, also a Radio Shack printer model.

I also tried the WD-40 method and it worked for a while. I think re-inking is a better solution though.

Someone warned that WD-40 might harden after time, but I don't think it is a hardening or gumming oil - as it really is a synthetic lubricant.
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

ral-clan wrote:I have spare ribbons for my MPS801 (which you still CAN buy ribbons for).
Do you know where one can buy them, because I have been looking? I have found MPS802 and MPS803 cartridges but not MPS801.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I bought them online from some place near Toronto, but as I remember, a bunch of online dealers had them in stock. They were made by Ko-Rec-Type.

The MPS-801 is really a re-badge of another (non Commodore) printer. If you can find what other models it was sold as, search for ribbons for those printers.

I bought about three or four ribbons. I assume that they will probably be dry right out of the unopened package, as they've been on the shelves for 20 years. My intention is to keep re-inking them, and when the ribbons wear out, drop in replacement ribbons from modern printer ink cartridges.

Note: Keep your old MPS801 plastic cartridge shells. You can open up the cartridge of an MPS801, remove the old ribbon, and drop in a ribbon from many other types of ribbon printers (some of which are still available at any office supply store). I was able to drop in a fresh ribbon from some Panasonic model printer.

There is a little ink sponge (either a felt wheel or a little plastic cartridge filled with a sponge) inside the two types of MPS801 printer cartridges I've seen. I suspect that this sponge can be recharged with stamp-pad ink (again, available in bottles from business supply centres).

By the way, here's a link to my old thread on this topic from about a year ago:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... ht=vic1525
Wonder-Boy
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wonder-Boy »

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will keep this in mind.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

dragos wrote:hmm, can you point me to where you can buy a 1525 ribbon??

oldsoftware does not have them any more....
Knowing that all these printers use the same type of ribbons may point you in the right direction...

Alps ASP 1000, C. Itoh Prowriter JR., Commodore VIC 1525, Gorilla Banana, Radio Shack DMP 100, LP 7, Riteman C+, Seikosha 250X, Axiom GP1000
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

This person is selling boxes of MPS801 ribbons:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Commodore-MPS-801-Bl ... dZViewItem
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

So... nobody found an alternative source for VIC-1525 printer ribbons?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I didn't. If someone found a batch, I'm sure if they bought them all there would be people on this board (me) who would gladly buy a half dozen or so.
yoyodyne
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by yoyodyne »

eslapion wrote:
Knowing that all these printers use the same type of ribbons may point you in the right direction...

Radio Shack DMP 100, LP 7
OK, I pulled my 1993 Radio Shack catalog off the shelf
(good thing I don't throw anything away :wink: )
and found a 're-inking fabric' for these printers:

Part number 26-1424.

That might help your search.
If you document it, its not a bug, its a feature.
~
You can have peace, or you can have freedom. Just don't count on having them both at once.
~
There was a time, before we were born. If someone asks, this is where I'll be.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Quite interesting that I can still walk into a store such as Staples and purchase, brand new, a ribbon for my old mechanical typewriter; but just try to find a ribbon for a "Newer" Commodore printer!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Actually a lot of later Commodore dot matrix pin printer ribbons are still being manufactured (or are at least still available from old stock). VICuser recently showed me a printer he was using (MPS-something or other) and said he could still get ribbons for it locally.

It was a Commodore rebranded Epson printer I think. Popular with C64 and early Amiga users.
Last edited by ral-clan on Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.