Alarmex hardware/software package

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

CSX321
Vic 20 Newbie

Alarmex hardware/software package

Post by CSX321 »

Hi, new Denial member here. I still have my VIC 20 packed in a box in the attic. One of these days I need to dig it out and see if it still works!

As a high school student in about 1982, I created a "toy burglar alarm"-type system for the VIC 20/C64. It consisted of a BASIC program on tape (VIC 20 version on one side, C64 version on the other), some copper contacts connected to a joystick plug with some wire, and instructions. I called it "Alarmex" and sold a couple thousand of them using "Brass Key Software" as a company name. I eventually made a downpayment on a car from the proceeds.

I was feeling nostalgic today, so I thought I'd check with you all here and see if anyone had ever heard of it?

David Reynolds
Southern Illinois, USA
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Never heard of it or have seen it in any advertisements.

I'm pretty impressed. It's a simple idea and obviously sold well. I would expect a lot of people would have "over engineered" this project with all sorts of ICs, made it operate on the user port, etc.

But in your case, the K.I.S.S. philosophy was the charm. Good one!
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Welcome to the forum CSX321. I happen to have a copy of the alarmex manual, joystick device and the tape software like you say. I bought it on ebay approximately a year ago. Its a nifty little system. With enough wire and contacts a person could wire their whole house and have the vic20 (or c64) guard it.

The tape and instructions say JD reynolds Brass key software 1983.

Did you create any other products or software?

The box that mine came in is a red square box with white polka dots and hand written in felt pen is "Vic-20 House alarm" on the sides and top of the box. Is this the original box? Can you tell us how this product came to be?

What got you started on the vic?

Im glad you showed up and asked about this. It is very cool to meet the creator of a product for the computers we enjoy so much. Thanks
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

Yes! welcome to the forum!! don't be a stranger, as we all like to hear stories from "The Good Ole Days"

and if you'd care to share your stories in Real Life(tm), then you should attend one of tha many fine commodore expos. (I suggest C4 in ohio next spring)
CSX321
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by CSX321 »

Yes, that's it! Wow! I'm amazed I found someone so quickly who has a copy. No, the polka dot box isn't original. :lol: It originally came in a plastic bag with a card stapled over the top, kind of like a bag you might buy a cable or something in. That was the only product I ever sold for the Commodore computers. I was a sophomore in high school when I first wrote the program.

My interest in computers started in the late 70s when I saw an episode of The Bionic Woman where she had to break into some kind of bunker and defeat the computer intelligence in control of security. That led me to think that it would be great to have a computer to keep my little sister out of my room. I used to drool over the Radio Shack catalogs that showed the Model 1, but it was way too expensive. A couple of years later we bought a VIC 20, literally with the change we had saved in a huge jar.

I eventually also got a C64 and finally wrote the alarm system for my room (although I never really used it; my sister wasn't so much of a pest by then). I don't remember why I tried to sell it, but I learned a lot about the manufacturing business. I had to find sources for Atari joystick connectors in bulk that I could afford, large quantities of plastic bags, and a recording studio that could replicate the tapes cheaply. My dad was a great help in this. My girlfriend (who is now my wife of 22 years!) helped me and my family assemble them in our kitchen. They were all sold wholesale to a place in Barrington, Illinois, whose name I can't now remember. I think it was *something* Enterprises.

Finding this forum inspired me to root around in the attic tonight. I found two of the Alarmex cables and tapes loose in the box with the VIC. Somewhere I think I have a couple of the original packages in the bags, but I didn't see them in a quick look around. If I find them, I'll post a picture of what the original package looked like.

Having the VIC out, or course I had to try to fire it up! :) I had to make a cable to plug it into a little TV, and the sound isn't very good from the modulator. But it works, and I can't believe that it still loads stuff off these 25-year-old tapes! I loaded up the Alarmex program and ran it. Wow, memories! I also found one of the best programs I ever wrote for my VIC, one that solves some geometry problems. It uses just about every byte of the 3.5K. My oldest daughter was impressed with that one. My son wanted to play Sargon II chess.
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

awesome. you should archive the programs so we that never saw them can check them out. I would love to have a complete set if you still have any.

I am sure the company you are thinking of is Protecto Enterprises.... they used to have 4 to 6 page ads in computes gazzette !
CSX321
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by CSX321 »

dragos wrote:I am sure the company you are thinking of is Protecto Enterprises.... they used to have 4 to 6 page ads in computes gazzette !
Protecto! Of course, how could I have forgotten that?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

How is it, can the data direction of the joystick port be reversed so you can send signals on the joystick pins? Another feature about using the joystick is that you could've ported the software to tons of home computers using one and the same interface, in particular if it had its own power source and so on. But as a high school student, perhaps you didn't have the resources to write burglar alarm software for 10+ different computers...
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Carlsson, I don't think he was sending "data" to the joystick port - he just had wired up momentary contact switches or something. The way a regular joystick works inside.

So I am assuming you could only alarm five doors/windows. Each one corresponding to a joystick contact? (N, S, E, W, and fire?)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Yes, I gather it only works as input, but it would be even more versatile - i.e. turn on lights at a given time of day - if you can make the joystick port work as an output as well. Think of it as a poor man's VIC-REL.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
CSX321
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by CSX321 »

ral-clan wrote:Carlsson, I don't think he was sending "data" to the joystick port - he just had wired up momentary contact switches or something. The way a regular joystick works inside.

So I am assuming you could only alarm five doors/windows. Each one corresponding to a joystick contact? (N, S, E, W, and fire?)
Exactly. Or wire some in series in 5 "zones."
KilrPilr
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by KilrPilr »

Here is a scan of the manual to help you guys better understand how the system works. Unfortunately, as the system stands, you couldnt monitor individual windows or doors as they would all be hooked up in series. If any one of them had the contacts broken it would break the circuit and make the vic20 alert you. A genious idea for the time for sure. Image
CSX321
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by CSX321 »

:lol: Thanks for posting that! I had some art skillz as a 16-year-old, eh?
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I had a similar idea for my Commodore, though it involved monitoring up to 9 separate zones, based on the 8 directions of the joystick plus one fire button. I got to the point where I could plug in my joystick and my program would detect each direction as a zone; when it came to actually creating the necessary switches to protect things like doors and windows, I came up a bit short and lost interest in the idea.