VIC Tapes

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

paytonbyrd
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC Tapes

Post by paytonbyrd »

I'm sure this is covered somewhere else, but I could use a quick, succinct answer for this: What is the best way to convert VIC-20 tapes into files that can be used from VICE? Also, are there any programs that takes a VIC-20 tape and converts it to a D64 image?

Thanks!
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

For first question, I use MTAP to dump cassette to .tap files (which can be opened in VICE.

You can download MTAP from here:

http://markus.brenner.de/

Many commerical games have already been dumped.

Is there something that you are looking for?
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

My own solution was WAV2PRG. For most programs it works fine.

Could run into trouble if the program has some form of copy protection.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

I've tried a number of solutions to no degree of success. I finally just plugged a 1541 drive into my Vic 20 and saved the file to there, then transferred it to a disk image via my X1541 cable.

If you want my opinion, leave tape files on tapes. Just not worth the hassle, considering the cheap and abundant 1541's out there. If eslapion and 6502dude could do it, it's because they are better men than I. :?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I use MTAP with a 1531 and the X1531 cable connected to my 486, and with that about 99% success rate. If it doesn't transfer, then almost certainly the tape's duff...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
paytonbyrd
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paytonbyrd »

Is there a version of the X1531 cable for C64/VIC-20 tape drives? The info on Joe Forster's site (and everything else on Google's front page) is for the C16 & plus/4 tape drive.

Is there anyone willing to make one of this cables for me?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Considering it cost me all of 2 GBP to buy a 1531, then it wasn't much of an expense for me :)

Plus I was pretty confident it wasn't knackered from overuse, something I would be worried about with a C2N...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

There used to be adapters from mini-DIN to card edge (or ther other way around), so I suppose it is a matter of soldering. Would you need a male card edge on the "X1530" cable to connect a tape recorder? Some permanently broken C64 or VIC-20 motherboard might be a donor, if you can't find a clean source or etc your own card edge connector.

Or as Mayhem wrote, get a 1531.

In the mean time, WAV-PRG and Audiotap is a quite useful bundle, in particular as it is open source and internally has support for a few more options than the interface gives way for. I was in contact with the developer a few years ago about that, but we didn't find a solution to my particular issues, whichever they were at that time. As for Andreas Matthies Tape64, I found it required a patch to load PAL VIC-20 programs. NTSC should work out of the box, as the timing constants are much closer to a C64.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
paytonbyrd
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paytonbyrd »

1531 are anything but plentiful here in the US, and shipping from Europe wouldn't be too pleasant from a cost or time perspective. The only dead system I have is a 128, and I'm not chopping anything off of a 128 board. I guess I'll have to rig up a regular tape recorder through audio input and use wav2prg.