Games we want to see

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Navvarr
Vic 20 Drifter

Re: Games we want to see

Post by Navvarr »

We've got an amazing version of Jetpac for the 8k Vic- how about a full version for a 16k Vic. That would be amazing- surely not beyond the possibility from some talented Vic 20 programmer.

Oh and what about a version of Lunar Jetman- can but dream eh.
Hanzi
Vic 20 Newbie

Re:

Post by Hanzi »

eslapion wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:52 pm Does anyone think Gyruss could be made for the VIC one day?
I think it could be done, it´s one of my favs on C64.
If frogger7 could be done, Gyruss should be possible. :-)
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

would it be possible to port star wars to the vic? the arcade game, not the film, obviously.

I see it this way: 32K ram expansion, PETSCII graphics for the ships. the computer would rapidly flash border colors for the death star explosion.

i'd be willing to make it, but i'd need another programmer (i can make the designs) and about 4 months
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
i'd rather be a rock star than a pop start 8)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

It could, but it wouldn't look great as the CPU isn't powerful enough.

Take a look at the C64 version and think blockier with colour clash. I imagine the frame-rate would be similar as the Vic doesn't have sprites (which I assume they used to draw a few things) but has a lower resolution and slightly faster CPU.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Well, Battlezone proved that vector-graphics are possible on the VIC and the frame-rate isn't too bad. You would only have to draw half as many pixels as on the C64 as well :-)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

@beamrider: See also the thread "Games using polygons", and to quote my response from there:
Mike wrote:A few pro and cons of VIC-20 compared to C64 for these kind of games:

[+] a PAL VIC-20 is slightly faster than NTSC C64 and VIC-20, with PAL C64 the slowest of the lot. Small advantage in math (translate/rotate/project),

[+] VIC-20 has a smaller bitmap (160x192 vs. 320x200). It's cleared faster, and in general there's less work to do for the graphics routines,

[+] the VIC-20 bitmap can be arranged for a much more nicely addressing scheme. The C64 bitmap addressing scheme is just a PITA for line routines, etc.

[-] the VIC chip can't hold two bitmaps (i.e. two times 160x192, with one as shadow buffer) and switch between them with a simple change of a register for flicker free redraw. You need a fast copy routine for transferring the shadow buffer into the visible screen buffer.

[-] less memory available on the VIC-20 in general. The C64 can use a full 64K RAM, VIC-20 is limited to 40K RAM in total (if we exclude non-standard usage of the I/O area as RAM, and also disregard any banked RAM expansion). Can be alleviated a bit with overlay methods, but ...
For the 160x192 bitmap, I have a ready-made line routine in my drawer, which plots 30000 pixels/second (yes, you read that right: thirty-thousand!). Combine it with a fast "3D engine" *) of any kind and there you go.

@20questions: That being said, requiring +32K RAM for a game yet still only showing PETSCII graphics is guaranteed to impose disappointment on the side of the prospective player - you'd just begin at the wrong end. There are nice examples of PETSCII screenart around though, especially on C64 (look here and here), but if you ever take a look at those, you'll see these also took lots of time to master the skill.

*) I actually think Star Wars on the C64 didn't use any kind of 3D engine to speak of. The shapes were most probably precalculated for different sizes and orientations of the TIE fighters and explosions.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

beamrider wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:10 am It could, but it wouldn't look great as the CPU isn't powerful enough.

Take a look at the C64 version and think blockier with colour clash. I imagine the frame-rate would be similar as the Vic doesn't have sprites (which I assume they used to draw a few things) but has a lower resolution and slightly faster CPU.
any other computers capable of running it? ti-994/A, COCO? Dragon 32/64 (i have no qualms about using monochrome if it speeds up the gameplay, my only concern is control and visuals, i don't want to sacrifice graphical quality if i don't have to)
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

20questions wrote:any other computers capable of running it? ti-994/A, COCO? Dragon 32/64 (i have no qualms about using monochrome if it speeds up the gameplay, my only concern is control and visuals, i don't want to sacrifice graphical quality if i don't have to)
The issue at hand doesn't become any easier for any of the other contemporary (i.e. 80ies) computers.

Besides, you are even though grossly underestimating the necessary work to be put into such a project, when you speak of 4 months. At your skill level, make that 4 years. You will spend a good part of it leveling up until you even understand what you were asking for.

I know it has been said to you on several other occasions already, but it does not harm to repeat it here: stick to one system first, learn one programming language (and in case you think HTML was a programming language, it isn't!), set yourself small programming exercises - or take them from a book - and then try to solve them.

Doing that will actually lead you somewhere. Not just looking at how games appear to work, and hoping you could 'get away' by just scripting the actions.
20questions
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by 20questions »

Mike wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:36 am
20questions wrote:any other computers capable of running it? ti-994/A, COCO? Dragon 32/64 (i have no qualms about using monochrome if it speeds up the gameplay, my only concern is control and visuals, i don't want to sacrifice graphical quality if i don't have to)
The issue at hand doesn't become any easier for any of the other contemporary (i.e. 80ies) computers.

Besides, you are even though grossly underestimating the necessary work to be put into such a project, when you speak of 4 months. At your skill level, make that 4 years. You will spend a good part of it leveling up until you even understand what you were asking for.

I know it has been said to you on several other occasions already, but it does not harm to repeat it here: stick to one system first, learn one programming language (and in case you think HTML was a programming language, it isn't!), set yourself small programming exercises - or take them from a book - and then try to solve them.

Doing that will actually lead you somewhere. Not just looking at how games appear to work, and hoping you could 'get away' by just scripting the actions.
any idea where to start? I apologize if i am causing anyone trouble
Bedroom coder=rock star
modern coder= pop star
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

20questions wrote: any idea where to start? I apologize if i am causing anyone trouble
We all started at zero knowledge. No shame in that :-) Just work through the original VIC-20 manual:

https://archive.org/details/Personal_Co ... e/mode/2up

This is a very good guide for beginners and contains some simple BASIC-games as well. Once you have worked through that you will have a much better understanding of the machine and can do some of your own small games. Rome wasn't build in a day, start with something easy to not get frustrated.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

Mike wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:22 am

*) I actually think Star Wars on the C64 didn't use any kind of 3D engine to speak of. The shapes were most probably precalculated for different sizes and orientations of the TIE fighters and explosions.
There are actually two C64 conversions of the original aracde game. The '84 version is probably made of sprites and predefined characters, while the '88 version seems to use line drawings but, as you say, perhaps precalculated to a large extent.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Impossible Mission, International Soccer, IK + and so on 🤤
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Ivanhoe76
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Ivanhoe76 »

I think that international soccer could be very hard to do on our vic, but something like championship soccer for Atari 2600 https://youtu.be/tS4QiIJdZSU is feasible
No one should tolerate death and violence because tolerance will generate habit.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Did you see this!? :shock: https://youtu.be/t5nQIsMzfqs
Could it be done on vic20 too, what do you think?
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

No further wishes after winter competition of Retrogames!