My VIC20 Cartridge Collection

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Schema
factor

My VIC20 Cartridge Collection

Post by Schema »

Hi all. Finally, a dedicated VIC 20 forum! Cool stuff. For my first post, here's a link to my VIC 20 cartridge collection, chances are that people here will appreciate it. :)

http://home.ica.net/~leifb/commodore/VI ... rtlist.htm

It's really just presented for bragging rights, as I'm not interested in trading except for the small few I have duplicates of. :wink:

Post your collection too!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

That's an impressive collection!

But I must say, you really need a VicMon cart... every true collector must have that one...

I haven't even started making a list... I don't know what I have and don't have... I think I am up to 120 - 130 carts.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:That's an impressive collection!

But I must say, you really need a VicMon cart... every true collector must have that one...
I suppose, but I'm focusing on games mostly. That way I have something to do with the carts. I do play the games now and then. Utility carts just sit there.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The Café VIC project has a Yahoo group, and among our files is a cart list sheet where the members can check which cartridges they own.

Apart from that project, there is another VIC preservation project also on Yahoo groups. Maybe someone (me?) should try to unite forces between those two and this forum. There are also plenty of individual VIC users, developers and collectors around in other forums which might want to join if the incentive is good.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Anyhow, I wrote to the vic-project list on Tuesday, mentioning both this forum and the group vic20files. Brent, the coordinator had no objections with inviting and uniting people with the same views.

Chris, how active are you with the vic20files group on Yahoo? I think technically it is close to impossible to join Yahoo groups (it is close to impossible only to manage several users together), but maybe you and anyone sincere would like to apply for membership to the vic-project, which then is an archiving project, not plain nostalgia chit-chat.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

My little vic 20 yahoo group thing is not used much at all.

I would love to merge whatever material I have there, to another place.

Chris
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Anders wrote:
but maybe you and anyone sincere would like to apply for membership to the vic-project, which then is an archiving project, not plain nostalgia chit-chat.
I think I tried to sign up to that group a while ago, but there has been no resonse. I have not seen much action or news about cafeVIC in quite a long time.

Chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The moderator will have to confirm your request, but maybe he is busy. The latest news is that Brent will spend the rest of the spring organising what already is there, and then give a report how to continue the archiving and preservation from there.

If I had the time and incentive, I would start to track down what happened with all the software houses who published VIC-20 software, both on cartridges, tapes and the few disks. I believe this could somehow be coordinated with e.g. Lemon64 or World of Spectrum, and in the end result in a list of official permits and denies which software can legally be redistributed through a FTP or CD.

While some of the current copyright holders surely will deny distribution right away, many others will permit or will be found no longer existing to claim copyrights. This is one large job (for a group of people) that really would make a difference to Café VIC and other VIC-20 enthusiasts.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I think Leif from Toronto is a member of this group, and he seems to have a ton of knowledge and material for the vic 20.

Hopefully he can help as well.

I hope some day I can contribute in some small way.

Chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

vic user wrote:I think Leif from Toronto is a member of this group, and he seems to have a ton of knowledge and material for the vic 20.
Yes, I'm a member of this group - I started this thread! :lol:

I really don't have that much specific VIC-20 knowledge, and my only material is my cartridge collection and 2 or 3 manuals. I couldn't do much more with it than write simple BASIC programs, but I suppose some of my C64 knowledge would be applicable.

I'm happy to try and answer questions or point people to other sources, but can't devote too much time to a big project at the moment.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

The main reason I was back in this thread was to post a photo of my VIC-20 cartridge collection, taken for equal reasons of insurance and bragging 8)

http://home.ica.net/~leifb/commodore/vic-collection.jpg
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Bah. Would that be me, I had sorted all the carts after manufacturer and serial no before taking a picture, alternatively tried to put some pattern. They don't even seem to be sorted alphabetically. :P
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I like the chaos! It makes it seem like more!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I tagged all my carts on the top part of the cases, labelling them 'C-1' etc.., and then lined up the carts in a dresser drawer, that has been liberated for computer stuff.

I then placed the info in a spreadsheet on one of my old Macs, more as a reason to use it, than anything else.

Then I just look up the cart I want on the spreadsheet and go to the drawer and grab the right number.

Chris
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:I like the chaos! It makes it seem like more!
Yeah, and you can make it into a game - try to find the duplicates in the picture :lol:

I thought about sorting them, but they don't stay that way for long. I keep them in a perfectly sized box (but it is getting full), on end. So they get pretty mixed up after playing some. Also thought of labelling the ends like vic user does, but haven't had time to make 120 labels :(

The randomness also means I play games I might have forgotten about, while hunting through the games I find an old one and say, "oh yeah!" and play it.

There are probably 5 or so that I still haven't played.