Personal Computer Museum Meet

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Centallica
Pinballer

Personal Computer Museum Meet

Post by Centallica »

Thought I'd give a plug for the museum as they're hosting a retro computer event and was wondering if any of the Ontario boys might be going?

Brian
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Will the barbeque be "powered" from overheated computers without fans? :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
6502dude
megacart

Re: Personal Computer Museum Meet

Post by 6502dude »

Centallica wrote:Thought I'd give a plug for the museum as they're hosting a retro computer event and was wondering if any of the Ontario boys might be going?
Maybe, Are you attending?

Ad doesn't mention anything about strippers :cry:

So I guess it will be a pretty tame retro event :lol: :lol:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Centallica
Pinballer

Re: Personal Computer Museum Meet

Post by Centallica »

6502dude wrote: Ad doesn't mention anything about strippers :cry:

So I guess it will be a pretty tame retro event :lol: :lol:
Ya, maybe the next retro event I hold in the fall will have them for us instead :shock: :D 8) :shock:

I might be going with a friend that collects antique radios (they'll be 100 there as well) and the more from the board that goes, the more I'll ensure I'll be there :wink:

Brian
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

carlsson wrote:Will the barbeque be "powered" from overheated computers without fans? :lol:
I know when you have 25 pinball machines in someones basement during the summer with the air conditioning cranked you'll still be sweating from the heat of the machines :?

Brian
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

What a great idea. I've always maintained that computers are rarely used for a fraction of their expected life, yet they never stop doing what people originally bought them to do. What's really crazy is that people have spent thousands on stuff that is thrown in the garbage!

It really cheesed me off when my Amiga 500 system was deemed "Obsolete" after what I thought were 5 very short years. People would crinkle their noses at the Near-Letter Quality output of my 9 pin dot matrix printer and chuckle at my hundreds of 3.5" diskettes in lieu of a hard drive in '93. The battery in my A501 memory expander still retained the current date and time! I still have that computer and printer, and they both work fine. I bought a new ribbon for it last year. I still think dot matrix printer output looks cool and futuristic.

I can agree with updating when something big comes along. Digital video was the only reason I updated my PC last time; but then I turned my old one into a Linux web server. I bought (built) that one because of digital photography.

The video game console market has always amused me; people ditch perfectly good systems that cost them hundreds of dollars for the latest and greatest to basically play the same games, but with more realistic graphics to "Ooh" and "Ahh" over. Fortunately for me, my oohing and ahhing started and ended with the Amiga. Going from a C64 to an Amiga was really quite stunningly dramatic for games; everything after that just didn't compare. After that, the only thing that mattered for me was gameplay. Especially when so many graphically enticing games had such crappy gameplay on the Amiga.

My only problem now is that I'm running out of space. I'd really like to go to an event like this. Too bad there wasn't one local to me. Then again, Brampton isn't that far, if gas wasn't consistently well over a buck a liter.
Centallica
Pinballer

Post by Centallica »

Then again, Brampton isn't that far, if gas wasn't consistently well over a buck a liter
You gotta keep going further than Brampton as it's in BRANTFORD :D

Brian