HELP!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

HELP!

Post by Jeff-20 »

My web service has a file count limit. I am almost at that limit. I searched my files with a file manager and found 37,000 files connected to this forum labeled "wordmatch" and 8,000 labeled "wordlist".... are these safe to erase???

I don't want to damage the forum... I have about 1,400 files labeled "posts" and 200 labeled "topics". If I keep these, the forum should be ok, right? The wordmatch files may be just for searching the forum... if I erase it, what would the possible effects be?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sheesh.. I have no idea how a phpBB installation looks like from the inside. I thought it was all handled in a database, but maybe you have the option to choose between a db and files on the hard drive if you don't have a db to use.

Maybe there is a support forum at the phpBB site where you can get advice. If possible, you could store the 45,000 files locally, remove them from the site and see if it affects how it works. If something breaks, you can try to put them back, or at least a selected part of them.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

There are in a database. I wasn't being clear... I have the option to delete this files from the database, but they do count in my overall file count....

I am not sure if I have the ability to save and restore these files locally... I guess I will have to risk it because the forum would be frozen if I don't. I suspect (considering the name) that it may disable the search function. I was hoping for some confirmation... I will do as you suggest and look for other experts. IN the meanwhile, does anyone here work with forums?
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

In theory, I could download a copy of phpBB and install locally, for reviewing purposes if nothing else. It sounds weird with files in a database, or does every table (or every record even?!) count as a "file" to your provider?
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Every entry seems to be counted as a file! I did figure out how to back up the database... I will experiment with it. I hope the forum doesn't have to go down for a while until I figure this out.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ok. I restored to a previous backup state. Apparently, I could read all the new posts but other visitors could not (!)

I am still in great danger of having the site shut down in a few days because of the file count. I have to figure this out quickly.

THe table in the forum database labeled "phpbb_search_wordmatch" contains 37,000 records which I believe to be saved as individual files. My only temp solution is to prune the forum (a process that discards older posts and less frequented topics). I really would like to avoid doing that as it is only a temporary solution.

Someone please confirm that they can read this and post successfully. Thanks.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

yep, i have read your posting.

maybe Erik from the vintage computer forum can help you.

he uses the same forum thing you do.

here is is site, and i am sure you can find hi addie there;

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/

i am sure he would help you if he is able to!

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Wouldn't it be possible to turn all search things off so that no new search words are added to the database?

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Still it sounds strange that a record counts as a file. Maybe it depends on which database software you use - is that MySQL, Postgres or maybe SQLite (which is a PHP invention that doesn't require a database server)? I'm wondering if the last one doesn't emulate database by storing files on the disk.

If I can remember, I can download and install a forum tomorrow evening (European time) to see how it configures and if I spot something odd. A little depending on what you want to do and how long contract you have with your current ISP, you might look for another provider if the problem is the services (type of database) they offer does not match your needs.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I am just trying a trial-and-error process. I am trying something new everyday and waiting to see if others can post. Someone please post here after I have tried something new and posted.

THe next experiment is to empty the tables without dropping them. The PhpBB forum suggested this, but they are stumped as well...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ok... I think I've fixed it. Someone please reply so that I know everything works. PM me if the posting doesn't work. Thanks.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok. I'll see if this message goes through.

It did. I assume the tables you emptied were the search results, not the actual messages? :)
Anders Carlsson

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It seems to work fine now! Good job Jeff!

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

All problems solved as far as I can tell. Thanks for your patience everyone!
A Honey Nut Cheerio
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by A Honey Nut Cheerio »

test test