A VERY expensive rabbit

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

A VERY expensive rabbit

Post by eslapion »

For years now, I wanted to get my hands on the manual of a Rabbit tape accelerator.

Two days ago I placed a bid on one for sale on eBay. Just In case I would get sniped, I placed a maximum bid of $99.99.

Sure enough, only 5 minutes before the end, the price balooned from 4$ to nearly 60$.

I'll be sure to scan the manual as soon as I get the thing. And I garantee you this piece of history will be back on eBay in a very short time.

That was a very expensive manual!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thank you for "taking it for the team" and securing it for the betterment of the community.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I've done that --- bought something that was expensive for the sake of archiving it for posterity. In my case it was a sealed copy of EPYX's "Rescue at Rigel" which I archived, and is now on funet/Zimmer's.

I just love the EPYX VIC-20 games and so made it my personal goal to archive all of their 16K tape games.

So the copy of "Temple of Apshai", "Rescue on Rigel" and "Crush, Crumble and Chomp" on funet/Zimmer's all come from my collection -- and I pretty much overpaid for them all :lol: . I still have to scan the manuals for them for Zimmer's, though.

Actually the only manual I am missing is the one for Apshai. I bought an ENTIRE VIC-20 setup from the US at a high price just because it included the loose cassette of this game (the VIC version has only shown up twice on Ebay in four years). The tape was in pretty bad condition, so only after many tries was I able to successfully transfer it to the PC.

So if anyone has a boxed version of Temple of Apshai, I would appreciate some hi-res scans of the packaging/manual.

As for VIC-RABBIT: Thanks, Eslapion. I have an EPROM of the Rabbit software, but no manual. This would be a great addition to Zimmer's (where the ROM already resides - dumped from my very EPROM :lol: )
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

ral-clan wrote:As for VIC-RABBIT: Thanks, Eslapion. I have an EPROM of the Rabbit software, but no manual. This would be a great addition to Zimmer's (where the ROM already resides - dumped from my very EPROM :lol: )
I think there were a couple of versions of Vic-Rabbit ROM. I dumped EPROM a few months back and noticed a version # difference.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

6502dude wrote:I think there were a couple of versions of Vic-Rabbit ROM. I dumped EPROM a few months back and noticed a version # difference.
Having a way to check the revision no. would be appreciated. Do you have any?
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

eslapion wrote:Having a way to check the revision no. would be appreciated. Do you have any?
Here is link to previous Rabbit post:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... ght=rabbit

Let me know if you want copy of Eprom & I will send it to you.

When I saw manual on e-bay I was going to bid, but saw you already placed 1st bid.

I try not to bid against Denial members :)
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

6502dude wrote:I try not to bid against Denial members :)
I follow the same policy.

Thank you.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The Rabbit has arrived... with nothing to cover the EPROM's erasure window !!! :evil:
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Okay this seems to be a very different Rabbit than what I anticipated!!

It is the Rabbit cart I saw advertised in Compute's Gazette 25 years ago but it is totally unlike what I anticipated.

The Rabbit software I found on Zimmer's (formerly Funet) was supposed to be located at $9C00-$9FFF and started by SYS38912. (IO2 and IO3)

This version occupies the upper half of BLK3 ($7000-$7FFF), right where Programmer's Aid normally resides so that makes it a potential candidate as a ROM option for the ultimate expander. And sure enough it is started by SYS7*4096 or SYS28672.

When I first plugged it in with my ultimate expander, my 24k expansion was reduced by 4096 bytes but in fact it is exactly what it is supposed to do.

I suspect the version found on Zimmer's is possibly a variant created by a hacker to provide more compatibility as having it in BLK3 causes compatibility problems with all 16k games that require this memory range and all Scott Adams games.

I will give it to Zimmer's soon.