Were some very early C64s built in VIC cases?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Were some very early C64s built in VIC cases?

Post by ral-clan »

Hi, back when the C-64 was just about to come out, I remember that a lot of speculative articles and kids at my school were calling it the VIC-64. This was before C= had officially told us the name of this computer. Even after it was released, some people still called it the VIC-64 for a while. I understand that in Sweden, it was even officially marketed as the VIC-64 (see this picture):

http://www.lemon64.com/index.php?mainur ... Dmanualcom

Now...I also seem to have a vague memory of some VERY EARLY Commodore 64s being released in a white VIC-20 casing. Perhaps I am mixing this up with my memory of the very LAST VIC-20s using the grey-function keys of the C64....

But I did find this photo (last one at the bottom) which looks like this:

http://www.hogia.se/pcmuseum/datorer75- ... atorer.htm

Can anyone else confirm this? I would love to see a higher resolution image of a C64 released in a white VIC case....I am particularly interested to see what version of the sticker was used on the top.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The C64 at the bottom is grey, like the rest of 'em. It only has brown function keys, which has been observed in a few early 64's before.

The name thing is funny. As per SWoC, the code-name for the project (or at least VIC-II + SID project) was VIC-30, but at some point it seems Commodore scrapped the 40-column VIC-20 project called VIC-40 and renamed the VIC-30 into VIC-40 instead. :roll: Then some time later, it was called VIC-64, even internationally. Finally Commodore settled for Commodore 64, but on some markets (e.g. Sweden) it was anyway sold as VIC-64.

Based on the photocopy from spring 1982 that I typed in late last year, there seemed to be a planned line-up of several machines: MAX (VIC-10), VIC-40 (which later became Commodore 64), another Commodore 64 (which appears to be similar to P500), Commodore-II 128/256 (which indeed appeared as B128/256 or CBM 600/700 in Europe). It would be really cool to get ahold of a prototype that says Commodore 64 but isn't.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The answer to your original question is YES. And the proof of that is on a box that sits right beside me in which one of the very early 64s was sold.

The point of interest is not the 64 that was sold in the box but rather the one SHOWN ON THE BOX.

Now, I suppose the 64 you see on this box is that of a very early prototype because the power switch and power supply connector is IDENTICAL to those of early VICs with 9 Vac 2 prongs connectors. The switch swivels horizontally rather than vertically.

But the most striking difference is with the cartridge port and modulator connector. The cartridge port is the same size as that of a VIC and the modulator is a tiny hole between the cart port and monitor audio/video connector.

Also, on the box, the 64 is shown with a VIC 1540 floppy drive and the older VIC-1515 printer. A careful look at the close up view of the 64 on the cover reveal it has exactly the same keyboard with squarish key like very early VICs.

Now, I have NEVER seen with my own eyes a C64 that used a 2 prong 9Vac power supply. Also, considering the very unusual cartridge port size, I really doubt this could be a production 64.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

eslapion wrote:The point of interest is not the 64 that was sold in the box but rather the one SHOWN ON THE BOX.
We'd love a pic.
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

I think it's likely that the VIC case was used for the early prototypes, but wether any were ever sold is another matter. I don't think that Commodore would have let the C64 out with those huge cartidge ports. Especially considering the position of the RF modulator.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Yes Eslapion! If it's possible to get pictures of this rare box, that would be great! :D
Also, on the box, the 64 is shown with a VIC 1540 floppy drive and the older VIC-1515 printer. A careful look at the close up view of the 64 on the cover reveal it has exactly the same keyboard with squarish key like very early VICs.
I'm really surprised they pictured this C64 with a VIC-1540 and 1515. Weren't the VIC-1541 and VIC-1525 already out by then. It's interesting that they chose to picture their latest computer with the oldest version of their peripherals.

Does this early C64 pictured have the strange label that only says Commodore on the left long label, and the "64" on the label where the power LED is? Were any of those label style C64s actually produced? I've only seen them in promotional photos.

So, it seems that some early production C64s use VIC-20 keyboards. Are we all agreed that at the very end of VIC-20 production, some VICs were made with the C-64 keyboard (i.e. dark grey function keys)? Now that I think about it, one of my VICs might be like this...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

ral-clan wrote:Does this early C64 pictured have the strange label that only says Commodore on the left long label, and the "64" on the label where the power LED is?
Affirmative!

As for the pictures, this forum does not allow the uploading of pictures per se, it only allows the use of links to pictures already published elsewhere. Unfortunately, I do not have access to a public space where I could upload them.

The serial number for the C64 it contained was still on the box. It is P00512459 making it one of the very earliest 64s. If you open the box, on the inside of the opening flap, it says "Welcome to the world of Friendly computing", exactly as it does in the box for VIC-20s.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Eslapion, feel free to e-mail me with a photo I will post if you'd like (you can find my e-mail address on my website if you look at my profile).

As for early C64 prototypes. This one is not exactly as Eslapion describes, but it does mention the use of a VIC case (although in not in the VIC's colour) and has links to side views, etc. (again, Eslapion's photo seems to be of an even earlier prototype).

http://www.vintage.org/special/2003/c64 ... totype.jpg
http://www.vintage.org/special/2003/c64prototype/
Last edited by ral-clan on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

you can upload pictures here -> http://www.imageshack.us/ no need to register, its free and easy to use...

:wink:
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe we have different impressions of brightness, but the prototype 64 linked by ral-clan doesn't look like it sits in a cream coloured VIC case. It looks about as grey as the other breadboxes, perhaps a tad lighter.

I presume the 64 on the box art really is cream coloured, if it has a wide opening for cartridges. Can one see the RF modulator through the hole, or is the picture not that detailed? Does it have one or two joystick ports? Maybe it really is a VIC-20 used to market the earliest C64s before they got to take a promotion picture of the C64 itself? :wink:

Edit: Or perhaps you're talking about using a case of the VIC-20 design, but mold it in the grey coloured plastic? The prototype above is said to have been created in such way. In that case, it answers half of the original question, if the earliest C64s may have been manufactured with cases of the VIC design, but never in the VIC colour.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jaicen wrote:Here's your answer:

www.vintage.org/special/2003/c64prototype/
Yeah, we already linked to that a few messages above.

It doesn't really match the one Eslapion has a photo of, though, which seems to be even earlier.
Jaicen
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Jaicen »

Goddammit!!
See this is what happens when you surf at work and fire off posts before the boss walks in on you!
Don't do it kids!
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Jaicen wrote:.....what happens when you surf at work and fire off posts before the boss walks in on you!
Try putting a "Do not disturb" sign on your door :lol: :lol:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20