Vic-20 copyrights and trademarks

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Vic-20 copyrights and trademarks

Post by Jeff-20 »

Are images and logos associated with the VIC-20 still protected by copyrights and/or trademarks? Internationally as well?

If I make, for say, a VIC-20 t-shirt and sold it, would I be obliged to respect any reserved rights?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Copyrights should still apply, but the big question is who is maintaining them. Tulip owns the rights to the brand "Commodore", but the question is how much more they own the rights to. I don't really know how trade marks work though.

The patents behind the VIC-20 should last 20 years, and thus have expired by now, but if there is other intellectual property which is copyrighted, I don't know how it is affected.

If you made a Commodore t-shirt for sale (in large enough numbers to be noticed), you certainly might get into trouble with Tulip lawyers (unless you reached an agreement). However I think they focus more on third party home electronics, cork screws and other devices illegally bearing the Commodore name and logotype.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I think Tulip would be more upset of using Commodore than using Vic20 name.

Anyway there is others who sell Commodore t-shirts too.. I wouldnt think that they are criminals or anything.. :P

I would like to get one black XXL Vic20 t-shirt please :D I hope its cool with other stuff than just vic20 logo.. Maybe some game names and machine info like memory etc..

8)