Scott Adams Adventure Games, MultiLingual?

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Scott Adams Adventure Games, MultiLingual?

Post by Jeff-20 »

This may be a stupid question.

Were Scott Adams' Adventure games released in regions without English as a primary language? If so, do versions exist in other languages? Or were users expected to understand English?

French? Italian? Swedish? German? Etc...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I think Italian users were expected to understand English. I remember having discussed this issue with some friends of mine back then (a group of some 7-8 VIC users in 1983-84, divided into those with and without colour TV, but this is another story...). We even tried to ask for Italian versions in several stores, but no one had heard about them.

Too bad we were newbies in English, so we could hardly understand text adventures, and even some game instructions were read with the help of a vocabulary. :cry:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think localized games didn't become popular until the NES generation, i.e. 1985-86 and later. I have never heard of translated versions of the Scott Adams' adventures. I don't know if it is possible, i.e. how tight the code is to the vocabulary. It could be interesting to look into.

A few more simple games - in particular those in Basic - may have appeared in other languages, when it is just a matter of changing a few strings of text.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image