VIMMII NTSC version

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

VIMMII NTSC version

Post by a1bert »

Okay, it is now released, finally. Managed to fix the 3k-split part. With VICE the part will still display a couple of garbage pixel lines, but it works well enough in the real machine.

Get your fix from: http://www.iki.fi/a1bert/Pu-239/vimmii/ ... tsc.d64.gz

Now I still have an almost-finished demo from 2004 that would need some music.. Any inspiration, Anders ?:-)

-Pasi
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: VIMMII NTSC version

Post by MacbthPSW »

a1bert wrote:Okay, it is now released, finally.
Wow, that was fast! :) No time left tonight, but I'll try it out soon. Thanks for your efforts, we appreciate it.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Um, yes... I'm still looking to add some features to the player, but I suppose the VIC scene has moved on a lot since 2001. Today, you would almost expect the new waveforms, which I have implemented in a test version. As long as one doesn't change waveform all the time, it might be possible to feature in a demo music. Do the others do this already? Maybe I can spend some time in the Christmas season.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

This is great, thanks! Nice to be able to watch it on the real hardware. I especially liked the transparent checkerboards and the ability to set the DYCP rate to all kinds of crazy values.

The pulsating 1541 LED was a nice detail too :wink: You don't get that in an emulator!
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

carlsson wrote:Today, you would almost expect the new waveforms,
Well, they make the sound different, so it's something unusual.
carlsson wrote:As long as one doesn't change waveform all the time, it might be possible to feature in a demo music.
Looking at the doc I assume the main problem is waiting for the shift register to clear, not so much about setting the waveform?

I haven't been keeping track of the newest releases, so I don't know how popular the new waveforms are.

I have also toyed with the idea of on-demand loading of the music data. The next demo already has one part that loads some other data from a single file when it is needed, so it is a proven technology. Tracker-like format with some "prefetch" commands would probably be the way to go. Adding two-open-files -support to the loader would probably be a little complicated, so the music may have to stop while loading the next part... Unless the whole demo is music-controlled.. :-) (E-mail me if you want to talk about details.)

-Pasi
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

Schema wrote:The pulsating 1541 LED was a nice detail too :wink: You don't get that in an emulator!
Actually, you do get it in VICE. :-) Also, the LED is Marko's "original" idea.

-Pasi
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I don't have anything that can decompress a .gz file! I have no clue what this type of compression is.

I think I have seen this used on linux.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

eslapion wrote:I don't have anything that can decompress a .gz file! I have no clue what this type of compression is.
It's a GNU Zip file. I've put an uncompressed copy of the disk image online for you here. Hope that helps.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Power Archiver (which can be found in freeware versions up to 6.1 from 2001, from that on shareware) handles .gz as well as .zip, .lzh and all other formats. The only compression I had problems with was recent RAR archives for which I need to install WinRAR. I suppose archives in 7-Zip would also need a different unpacking program, because it is so new.

As we know, Pasi also has an interest in compression - in form of PuCrunch - so it is not totally off-topic. :-)

Regarding the waveforms, it seems that in order to set a new waveform, you need to wait for the register to clear first. Also, using any note values below 128 (for silence) will effectively release the counter and break the waveform. Perhaps if one studies what is happening more closely, one could find a way to overcome this.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
a1bert
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by a1bert »

carlsson wrote:Pasi also has an interest in compression - in form of PuCrunch - so it is not totally off-topic. :-).
If the MIME types are something special, some browsers automatically undo .gz files when downloading, and without changing the suffix. Anyway, I don't want to store the 170kB .d64 when I only need to store a 44kB .d64.gz. VICE can access the gzipped disk image directly, and people who transfer files to the real thing usually have the means of decompressing the gz.
carlsson wrote:Regarding the waveforms, it seems that in order to set a new waveform, you need to wait for the register to clear first. Also, using any note values below 128 (for silence) will effectively release the counter and break the waveform. Perhaps if one studies what is happening more closely, one could find a way to overcome this.
The examples I got from viznut through Aleksi Eeben set the $900c to $7e and wait for a time to clear the shift register. The time to clear should be 32 (or 64) cycles for $900c if I understand the doc correctly. After that it takes max 7 writes to $900c to set up the waveform. If a note follows another directly, you can keep the same waveform by just "sliding" the note. If you have a pause between notes, the shift register is already clear (if you have $7e as note off) when you init the next note. Thus the wait should not be needed.

-Pasi