Sick of Playstation 3...

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Sick of Playstation 3...

Post by Jeff-20 »

First, do you think people will actually honor those US$5000 bids on ebay? And if so, who are these people? I can't even imagine paying the $600 list price. What's happening in the world of videogames?

Sure, the neogeo started at $650, but it was not nearly as popular. Can the PS3 really be a mass market product at that price?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I find the whole craze ridiculous. I can't figure out why people are willing to pay more than retail, and as you point out, sometimes a whole lot more, for the privilege of getting something the day it comes out. I remember when the XBOX 360 came out people were paying multiples of the MSRP and a few days later I was out shopping and saw stacks of them for sale in a variety of stores. It appears that (not very bright) people get swept up in the rampantly consumeristic hype and make irrational decisions. Oh well. A fool and their money were lucky enough to get together in the first place.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i am just happy that the new gen's came out, so that way things like the game cube are now crazy cheap :)

since i have never played any PS2, game cube, or xbox games, they will all look amazing to me.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: Sick of Playstation 3...

Post by rork »

Jeff-20 wrote:First, do you think people will actually honor those US$5000 bids on ebay? And if so, who are these people? I can't even imagine paying the $600 list price. What's happening in the world of videogames?

Sure, the neogeo started at $650, but it was not nearly as popular. Can the PS3 really be a mass market product at that price?
Yeah, I watched some reports on the news this morning. :shock: It's ridiculous! People getting injured, shot at... That's why I'll stick with good old Commodore. ;)

Also, I saw an auction on eBay this morning. Within the last 4 seconds, the price jumped from $6,000 to over $9,000. Why would you want to pay this much money for a game console!? :? And just so you can get it RIGHT NOW, as opposed to, say, next week... :roll:
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

rork wrote:Yeah, I watched some reports on the news this morning. :shock: It's ridiculous! People getting injured, shot at... That's why I'll stick with good old Commodore. ;)
Yeah, and the funny thing is that by the time it gets delivered to the buyer it will be several days to a week after the release date. So it's not like they are getting it on the first day anyway.

Thank goodness I'm not into modern gaming. I don't really play any games systems past 1985....(well I do have an Amiga, but I use that for productivity work). I like the look of these new games, but I just don't have the time or the room to add another game system. I have a NES and a few cartridges, but even that seems too late a system for me. I probably would take an original Sony Playstation 1 if someone gave me one for free though. I like the realistic driving games, but all these first person shooters and fighting games are not for me.

Heck: I've got reams of text adventures and other games from the early 1980s I haven't even TRIED yet. Enough to last me years.

I too don't know why anyone rushes out to buy things on the first day: usually it's the first generation of any technology that has the bugs, firmware problems, hardware problems, etc. that need to be worked out. I'll take the trailing edge of technology any day.

As for the high price of the PS3, well, you do get a Blu-Ray disc player in there. Apparently stand-alone Blu-Ray players are going for $600+ on their own. So when you consider that it's not so bad. However, remember all those first generation DVD players that can't play burned CD-Rs or DVD-Rs? I'm sure some refinement to the Blu-Ray format will come along in about 6 months which will make these drives obsolete.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I want one.. :wink:
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

ral-clan wrote:I have a NES and a few cartridges, but even that seems too late a system for me.
Yep, I have that one too and I feel the same way about it. :) I bought it for my wife a couple of weeks ago (that infamous eBay auction I was talking about in another thread). She likes that stuff and especially the Mario Brothers games. It does, however, seem to be too modern for me. I can't work out this damn controller and I keep dying and losing! :x I guess I still like the old Quick Shot joysticks better... ;)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Check out this auction. Stop the insanity.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ssjlance
super saiya-jin

Post by ssjlance »

Man, I kinda want to say how stupid it is camping out for days and/or paying a lot more than you should for the PS3, but I just spent 7 hours in a Wal-Mart last night waiting for Nintendo Wii. It's really just for bragging rights, as best I can tell. Modern gamers are extremely competitive in these areas. Someone was offering $200 just for one of the chairs you had to be sitting in to get a Wii. I am lucky in that I don't particularly care for newer consoles (unless it's Nintendo, because I have to play Zelda games) and I can just enjoy consoles from before I was even born. Like the Atari, the Odyssey 2, Atari 2600, NES, and obviously the Commodore.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

$200 to give up your place to buy a video game console from the first batch? I would easily have accepted and waited three weeks or a month or how long it takes before the next batch shows up.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The first batch is always defective somehow.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

ral-clan wrote: I have a NES and a few cartridges
I always refused to buy my children a game console. Mainly because they already had a PC of their own.
We have a SNES, a SEGA and some cartridges but they were given by Dimitri to me after repairing one of his Japanese VIC-1001's. And these are mainly used by visiting children. In the past my kids asked me for a PS2 or XBOX several times but I refused that. If they wanted such a thing so bad, they could use their pocket monet to buy one. As we still haven't one of these in our house, it seems the need wasn't that strong.
Beside the PC, my boys also both have a GB Advance and these prooved to be very usefull during our 9-10 hours trips to Poland.

I also still know some people who waited in a sleeping bag before the shop to receive the first boxes with Windows 95. The problems they had :) My first W9x experience was in 2000 after buying my laptop with W98 installed on it. Hardly using XP, I wonder when I'm going to use Vista.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

ruud wrote:
ral-clan wrote: I have a NES and a few cartridges
I also still know some people who waited in a sleeping bag before the shop to receive the first boxes with Windows 95. The problems they had :) My first W9x experience was in 2000 after buying my laptop with W98 installed on it. Hardly using XP, I wonder when I'm going to use Vista.
It just seems to me to be a waste of time. Waited overnight for Windows 95???? I mean, those are 12 hours of one's life one won't get back. Is a GAME or COMPUTER that important? (of course, I admit that I have hobbies & interests which other people might consider a waste of time).

As for Windows....our PC (which is basically necessary these days for Web browsing) still has Windows 98 on it. I don't feel any need at all to upgrade. I could probably even survive with Windows 95 on it. Really, it's only used for browsing and other basic tasks.

It's funny. Marketing compells people to upgrade. It sticks the idea in their minds that they MUST have the lastest gadget/OS/game system or they will not be worthy individuals. That's a bunchy of CRAP. Most people don't even use 10% of the CPU power sitting in the computer on their desk. Maybe those doing intensive graphics rendering, or playing demanding games, but really....I have fixed up old Pentiums and P-IIs for people who just need computers for browsing, e-mail, word processing, CD burning, etc. and they are more than fine. We are convinced by the marketers to pay for far more than we need, and so much goes to waste. The salesman in the electronics boutique convinces the 50 year old couple that they need to spend $1500 on a new computer when a re-cycled $100 computer would be more than capable of doing exactly what they require, and more.
Last edited by ral-clan on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

I'm just curious; do you guys know how some people (mostly those who are making lots of money on eBay right now) got those pre-sale deals? Was there some kind of contest to be won or something? Or, were they just smarter and went to the store in advance and pre-paid?
rork
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by rork »

ruud wrote:...during our 9-10 hours trips to Poland...
Hey Ruud!

Where in Poland do you travel to? I was born and raised in Warsaw and I still go there once in a while. Perhaps, we can organize some kind of meeting for VIC-20 enthusiasts there? ;)

On the topic, I have a friend who still uses MS DOS exclusively. He needs his computer for word processing only and WordPerfect 5 (or whatever the version number is) works for him.

As a matter of fact, I just repartitioned my hard drive and installed DOS 6.22 next to XP last week. I did it mostly so I could use Star Commander supposedly problem-free under "pure" DOS (which is not quite the case, but that's another story). I also dug out some of my old games. Man, Wolfenstein 3D is so much fun! 8)