My new tiny site

Discuss anything related to the VIC
orion70
VICtalian

My new tiny site

Post by orion70 »

Hi, all. I've just put online some old material for the VIC.

It's five issues of a 1984 italian cassette magazine called "Play on Tape". I hope you'll find it interesting, although most programs need translation from italian. If you need some, just drop me a line.

For those who can understand italian, I'm planning to scan n.1 and 2, and for the same reason I'm also looking for n.3, 4 and 5.

Have fun! :)
http://crea.html.it/sito/victribute/index.htm
(hope you don't mind if there's a link to Denial...)
Last edited by orion70 on Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I didn't know you were from Italy! Please fill in your location on your profile. I'd love to know more about the VIC's life in italy.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'd love to know more about the VIC's life in italy.
Not so much to say: just like all over the world, the VIC was a meteor, with a life span of 2-3 years before the C64 (1983-1985, 36 months later than in the USA - as usual).
This means that it was the first computer for many people of my generation, as we were in the secondary school back then. As soon as we bought it, we immediately started reading (and dreaming) about the amazing 64, and this certainly marked its decadence.

The fab 80's were characterized here in Italy by a huge number of C64 magazines with attached cassettes full of pirated software 8) (examples can be found at http://www.edicolac64.com/ ). The short life of the VIC-20 did not allow the creation of a big business for this platform; nonetheless, some mags preceeded the 64 ones.

You can find them in the above mentioned site: PEEK, PLAYGAMES, PROGRAM, SUPER COMMODORE, SUPER VIC & C64, VIDEO BASIC (BASIC lessons). Only some of them were pirated; some others, like the one I put on my site (Play on Tape, never seen before in the internet) were composed with original software, often programmed in BASIC by italian amateurs. Many of them were extremely young, and the request for co-operators in those magazines was frequently fullfilled by 15-18 y.o. students. They were paid for this, usually a small amount of money for each program, but the true glory came from your friends / relatives seeing your name published on the mag. Sic transit gloria mundi ! :cry:

Last, the VIC was sold for ITL. 199.000, about 100 euros, which was not for every kid's pocket at that time!

PS- Am I the only italian here?
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Jeff-20 wrote:I didn't know you were from Italy! Please fill in your location on your profile. I'd love to know more about the VIC's life in italy.
orion70, while you're at it, can you shrink your picture down a little? it's taking up 1/3 of the page :wink:

Thanks for sharing this material, I don't speak Italian but I'll check them out anyway!
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I have no way to use .T64s on my VIC - so I combined all the tapes into a single .D64 to put on a disk. Hopefully the programs will still work, except those that are multiload of course.

http://www.jammingsignal.com/vic20/playontape.d64
idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

I'd love to see some pictures of the magazine and its cassettes. Do you have any scanner or camera?
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

orion70, while you're at it, can you shrink your picture down a little? it's taking up 1/3 of the page
oops :oops: Done.
I have no way to use .T64s on my VIC - so I combined all the tapes into a single .D64 to put on a disk. Hopefully the programs will still work, except those that are multiload of course.
Thanks Schema. Should have done it myself - I didn't think about you X1541 users (I'm still using the original cassettes, because they bring me back to those times :mrgreen: )
I'd love to see some pictures of the magazine and its cassettes. Do you have any scanner or camera?
I have a digital camera, but taking pictures and processing everything would take forever. I will just make some samples and link them in the site.
Then, later on, I will scan them *secretly* :wink: at work and create pdf files. But for this you have to be a little more patient...
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

PS- Am I the only italian here?
you're not ! that's me too :-) I am another italian who bought the Vic in 1984, (at age 12).

I used to buy "Program" and "Playgames" magazines, but as you have said, there were just pirated programs with name changed. Their only addition was the merry tune at the startup of the cassette. Unfortunately I no longer have anything with me (sold everything to buy a plus/4).

1984 was also the boom of the italian "Vespa" motorcycle. They had renewed the line with two new models, the vespa PK-50 and PX-250. They were offering a Commodore Vic20 on the purchase of the biggest model, the PX250. I still remember the giant advertising panels all over the city, with the Vic20 keyboard on the seat of the Vespa!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

nippur72 wrote: 1984 was also the boom of the italian "Vespa" motorcycle. They had renewed the line with two new models, the vespa PK-50 and PX-250. They were offering a Commodore Vic20 on the purchase of the biggest model, the PX250. I still remember the giant advertising panels all over the city, with the Vic20 keyboard on the seat of the Vespa!
I would LOVE to see this pic!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Good to find other italian VIC-20 fans here!
I still remember the giant advertising panels all over the city, with the Vic20 keyboard on the seat of the Vespa!

I didn't know that! I've never had a Vespa - looks like it was my fault, being a Commodorist.
In 1985 (age 15) I bought a Malaguti Fifty Top, which for some reason, at least in my city, was associated to Spectrum owners (beacause of the black color?). A couple of years later, when I finally realized this, I was a proud owner of a brand new C64; so, I immediately sold the motorcycle! Up to this point the struggle between ZX spectrum and C64 had arrived... :shock:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Here you are: previews of Play on Tape issues 1-2 (cover and cassette).
Poor design, isn't it? But I can assure you that reading those mags again and again months before even having the VIC at home (it was a bday gift and I had to wait from april til august 1st, 1984) was something similar to sex... For that time, of course 8)
Also, please note that the definitive link for my tiny site (and links and downloads) is http://crea.html.it/sito/victribute/index.htm - thanks schema for having created the one-disk file.

idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

orion70 wrote:Here you are: previews of Play on Tape issues 1-2 (cover and cassette).
Poor design, isn't it?
Well, it looks like Commodore designed it.
C128, C128D, C64, C64C, ABC80, ABC800, ABC806, 130XE, ZX81, Spectrum 48k, Dragon 32, TI99/4A, Laser 200, Spectravideo 328, Sord M5, VIC20...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Commodore seems to have had the worst graphic designers!
idrougge
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by idrougge »

The only good designers Commodore had were chip designers.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Good work!!!!
Why not TAP files too?

I'm italian too, how many italians are on Denial ?

orion70
nippur72
nbla000

who else?