Recommend an Application

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Recommend an Application

Post by Jeff-20 »

The topic denotes games, but I suppose we may include all applications. Recommend a game, cart or program for discussion here.

Every week, we'll add a new title. Feel free to post your opinions, high-scores or reviews.

Being bias, I'll start it off with my first game: Gridrunner! :)
Next monday, your choice! Maybe we can even alternate turns. I can go in order of the member list. We'll start new topics every Monday.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

So who is next up to submit a new game for next week?

Maybe use the top ten posters first, to increase the odds of posts?

Chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mole Attack! Does this mean this is the game for next week?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I had an idea. Whoever makes the current pick will (at the same time) select the next member to choose Game of the Week. We can continue like this selecting active posters.

I picked first, so I will select the most active member Carlsson. Carlsson, pick the next game of the week and choose a member for the following week.

This is a great way to try old games we haven't played in a while and obscure games we may not have thought of playing. Everyone must play, review, or otherwise examine the weekly selection. :)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Should I reveal it soon or on Monday? I have a few ideas, and will prepare something in the weekend. Oh, I pick Boray for the next-next week, since he was eager and had some game to try.

(hmm.. it seems we are 8-10 active posters here, so if it doesn't increase much, we get to nominate one game every 2nd month with this activity)
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Great, Thanks! I don't know if I will stick to Mole Attack though as I have played it so much now. I got 402 points yesterday! I even took a photo of the monitor to document it! :D

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

let's always make it a monday suprise...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Ok. Maybe I should get in touch with that old computer dealer around here and see if they still have some VIC software - it'd be a really nice Monday surprise to come up with a previously vaporwared cartridge as GOTW.. not very likely though.
Anders Carlsson

vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

ever since you guys showed me how to run ROM images on a real vic 20, i am getting quite a feast of games that i have never played before.

it's going to be tough picking the game of the week next week :wink:

i hope we keep doing this for a while, because there are tons of games for the vic that are simply amazing, perhaps not in all aspects of what people consider to be a great game, (however, many do!), but many vic 20 games have some really cool things going for them, and i hope they get picked.

i am not sure how accurate it is, but i have read stories on the net, that lamented the fact that just as people were really starting to understand and push the vic 20 to the max, that support was diverted to the commodore 64, and that much of what could have been done and marketed with the vic 20, was never done.

from some of the games that i have played, and when they were made, i can see their point.

chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The next time around it is my turn, I will make a genre round-up with poll on which one of the games you find is the better one. Not saying which genre though.
Anders Carlsson

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think we need to change this section to Game of the Every Other Week. . .

I am having a hard time keeping up. I feel like I need more than a week to really check each title out. I guess we need to remember that we can post to any of the previous threads. So, if you get busy, please feel free to go back and check out picks from prior weeks.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

we may have slacked off... I guess we can change the rules. Let's just put up a game whenever the mood strikes us and agree to give each game at least a full week of discussion. Whenever you have a cool game, just post it here.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Maybe it is enough to remind Leeeee, the extra engineer (sounds like E.T. :-) about it is his turn.
Anders Carlsson

sjakie43
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by sjakie43 »

it's gonna be a lot harder to pick a game once gamebasevic20v01
is released probably tonight! :shock:

regards

sjakie43
Demobase Vic20,C64,Plus4,Amiga and more..
Gamebase Vic20V01

VIC20+Megacart+ Tapuino tape loader
Ultimate 64 in transparant case+blue led
The C64 and The VIC20

https://archive.org/details/DemobaseVic20
Shaun.Bebbington
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Shaun.Bebbington »

Recommend an application was a bit misleading at first :) However, there's an interesting story behind Jelly Monsters... apparently.

Regards,

Shaun.
Without context, we are only data.