32k ram expanders

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

32k ram expanders

Post by eslapion »

After a few people asked for pricing here too. I annonce that I will make and sell 32k ram expansions for anyone who is willing to pay.

I use either Sharp LH52256C or Cypress CY62256L depending on pricing and availability. Using one or the other makes no difference for the VIC20 itself because of its slow speed.

All expanders come with a hardware reset pushbutton and read-write/read-only mode switch. They are built on a VECTOR Electronics 3677-2 board with gold plated edge connection fingers.

I can add switchable ROMs at BLK5 and/or BLK3 with your choice of software in it.

I can also add a 2k of nonvolatile memory at i/o2 and i/o3 for the vic rabbit or turbodisk. You can activate the installed software in this region with a SYS command.

I can also add one or two female cartridge port connectors to allow you to plug in your own cartridges.

Starting price for a 32k expander is 70 U.S. plus 10$ workmanship per additionnal rom/ram option plus price of added part. Additionnal female cartridge port connectors is 20$ workmanship plus price of part.

Lets say you want the maximum setup. That's 32k ram plus VICMON and Programmer's aid switchable at BLK3 and BasicV4 switchable at BLK5 and 2kNVRAM at i/o2 and i/o3 and 2 additionnal female cartridge port connectors.

That's 70$ for the basic board plus 30$ for additionnal memory options plus 15$ for the chips then 40$ for the additionnal connectors work then 10$ for the connectors themselves.

70+30+15+40+10=165$

For the greatest expander I think I can make so far.

Or if you just want a 32k RAM expansion with reset and rw/ro switch... the minimum configuration... 70$

==================================
Warning:
The completed product IS NOT lead free and is coated with silicone conformal coating tested by CSA File No. LO 4000-4068.
Last edited by eslapion on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:03 am, edited 6 times in total.
6502dude
megacart

Re: 32k ram expanders

Post by 6502dude »

eslapion wrote:165$
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks..............but, no thanks :lol:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: 32k ram expanders

Post by Alan »

6502dude wrote:
eslapion wrote:165$
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks..............but, no thanks :lol:
Anything that expensive should have nipples... :lol:
Alan
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

hmm

Post by dragos »

Well, i am getting one. I cant make it myself, and it is a lot of work to build something like that by hand.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

How about multicart, I would love to have one for Vic20.

It would be lot easyer take only one cart to party.. :D
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

After buying this proposed cartridge, purchasers will be will be fully qualified to post in the thread:

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=1221

Perhaps eslapion can add the "nipples" option :wink: :wink:

Let's see........ that'll be $165 + $250 for nipples + $10 for additional "workmanship" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I gotta admit I'm a bit frustrated by these replies...

The parts are cheap but the wiring time is not and neither is the vector board I build it on.

This is a new board made with new parts and I check it and garantee it.

Nowhere else around can you have a board that will provide you not only with 32k of ram but also Programmer's aid and VICMON and Superexpander or Basic V4 all in one single cartridge.

At 165$, it is the MAXIMUM configuration with all these plus two cartridge slots and nonvolatile memory at i/o2 and i/o3.

If you just want 32k ram then its 70$.
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

eslapion wrote:I gotta admit I'm a bit frustrated by these replies...
Don't be frustrated. I was just being a smart-alec, myself.

For all the cart does, and the time you need to put into it, I'm sure you're asking a fair price. I'd love to have one-- It's just a little too expensive for a po' boy like me.
Alan
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

The parts are cheap but the wiring time is not and neither is the vector board I build it on.
Don't be frustrated, we are just frustrated we have to save up for one!! We want one now!!!

I do have a question about the board, is it enclosed in a case or are the chips in the open (or is it possible to have it enclosed except for the expansion slots)? The reason I ask is I have a couple toddlers and they are attracted to electronics. If I was to plug in one of these the kids will notice it right away and start "repairs" on it :lol:...
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

bbell wrote:

Don't be frustrated, we are just frustrated we have to save up for one!! We want one now!!!
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I want one too. Might make a nice Christmas present...
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The board and parts are exposed... nobody seems to be making plastic casing of adequate proportions anymore.

However, the whole thing, except for the edge connector tab is covered with conformal coating which makes it safe to touch. Its a bit like the whole thing was dipped in clear liquid plastic.

It is safe to touch but it is not sturdier than any normal cartridge. Its tougher than a hard drive but it wont survive dropping it from the window of the 20th floor...
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

eslapion wrote: However, the whole thing, except for the edge connector tab is covered with conformal coating which makes it safe to touch. Its a bit like the whole thing was dipped in clear liquid plastic.
You don't happen to have a picture of one of these boards, do you? I would be curious to see it.

I know you can place nonvolatile memory at i/o 2 and 3, how about placing a MOS 6551 or Rockwell equivalent in i/o 2, and attach the IRQ line to the NMI?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

The ram expander is based on vector's 3677-2 prototyping board. The bare board looks like this:
http://rocky.digikey.com/WebLib/Vector/ ... 3677-2.jpg

It is not necessarily impossible to add a 6551 to the cartridge because the Western Design Center still makes the W65C51S. Its even possible to get free samples.

However this is truly a chip I gotta admit I know nothing about.

I don't know off hand any application for the VIC that would use a serial chip that's installed in the cartridge port but it is feasable to get the chip in there.

Anyone willing to use this chip will have to take care of the software part and remember that it is dependent on the PHI2 clock coming from the VIC's architecture making it run rather slow.

You tell me how you want it plugged... I'll do it. I assume absolutely no responsibility, however.
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

eslapion wrote: I don't know off hand any application for the VIC that would use a serial chip that's installed in the cartridge port but it is feasable to get the chip in there.

Anyone willing to use this chip will have to take care of the software part and remember that it is dependent on the PHI2 clock coming from the VIC's architecture making it run rather slow.

You tell me how you want it plugged... I'll do it. I assume absolutely no responsibility, however.
The chip is used in C64/128 RS232 cartridges, and I have found code and detailed discussion in C= Hacking (http://www.canberra.edu.au/~scott/C=Hac ... tlink.html).

This code would be trivial to port to the VIC-20. Would make an interesting little software project.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Also, Mikam73 asked for multicart.

Tell many how many games you would want and I can tell you if its feasible and how much it would cost.