To expand or not to expand memory

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

To expand or not to expand memory

Post by Jeff-20 »

I personally like the 3.5k vic. Memory expansion changes the address points making it confusing to the programmer.

But I also find that I enjoy the programs and games for the unexpanded system more than the 8k or 16k ones. They seem neater, more compact. Even the cart games are better when 4k or less.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I am far too much of a sloppy programmer, and use memory like it was going out of style.

Thus, I love memory expansion :)

I use a cardco cartridge port expander, and have my vic that I use for coding, at 28k.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Paul from England (I wish I could find him again!) sent me a switchable 16k cart.

I can see how great they are, but I guess I go for the fast simple basic programs because they are more my style... very compact and "zen" :lol:
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Those switchable memory carts are great.

I was really happy to find out that there were internal DIP switches on the 8k carts too. Nice to be able to fill up all those banks with memory.

I was a bit worried about opening up the case, so I practiced on a spare game cart I had. Glad I did, because I butchered the case on the game cart, although the game itself works fine.

I actually have one of my 8k carts seated on an expansion board, naked (no case), so I can switch banks with ease.

Chris
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Defenitely memory expansion!!! I think it's a little sad that Commodore didn't fill up at least block 1 as default. That would get rid of all unexpanded/expanded incompabilities.

Also read this:
http://home.worldonline.se/boray/datorm ... etter.html

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

RAM was expensive in those days, and the story goes that the memory chips used in the VIC-20 was a left-over batch Commodore had access to. It may have been possible to fill out the remaining 3K, but the question is how much more expensive (and less competitive) it had been.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think they were trying to dump an excess of 1k chips. The actual design of the vic was a business strategy to use the current inventory.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

By the way.. How I save this 16K movie to my harddisc ??