Prince of Persia

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Prince of Persia

Post by darkatx »

I still can't believe it! It never ceases to amaze me on what the Vic-20 can do.
Well Done! :D
Learning all the time... :)
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

darkatx wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:33 pm I still can't believe it! It never ceases to amaze me on what the Vic-20 can do.
Well Done! :D
Thanks darkatx!,

yes, it is nice to see how much our VIC-20 is capable of...

Cheers
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Lechuck wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:18 pm Thanks for that. As the game is using 27 columns, I was asuming it wouldn't look OK in NTSC and was initializing it just for PAL (my bad...). Good to see it might be also 'playable' (to some extent) in NTSC.

Cheers
No problem! Based on the photo I posted of your game being played on my TV, do you foresee any significant visual elements necessary for gameplay being cut off? I can tell that one of the energy bars is missing, but the game still seems quite playable to me, regardless.

You might as well incorporate a shortcut key that lets NTSC players re-center the screen or even better, just have the game autodetect the video mode and then position the screen accordingly.

1.jpg
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orangeman96 »

Lechuck wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:18 pm Thanks for that. As the game is using 27 columns, I was asuming it wouldn't look OK in NTSC and was initializing it just for PAL (my bad...). Good to see it might be also 'playable' (to some extent) in NTSC.

Cheers
You're famous now: the 8-Bit Guy mentions your work in his latest! -OGM
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Ghislain wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:55 pm You might as well incorporate a shortcut key that lets NTSC players re-center the screen or even better, just have the game autodetect the video mode and then position the screen accordingly.
I guess I can do both. I will initialize it with the correct values depending whether it is PAL or NTSC (for NTSC, I'll use the values you mentioned in a previous post) but can also provide the option to center the screen by using cursor keys (that is already available, but only from the presentation screem, so will enable that also during the game).

I'll upload a new version with that change next week.

Cheers
Last edited by Lechuck on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Orangeman96 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm You're famous now: the 8-Bit Guy mentions your work in his latest! -OGM
Thanks!. Yes, I saw it. When he mentioned he was going to try Prince of Persia in the Atari 400 mini, I thought he might mention the VIC-20 version. And he did, and also showed a short video of it :D

Cheers
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Lechuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:14 am I guess I can do both. I will initialize it with the correct values depending whether it is PAL or NTSC (for NTSC, I'll use the values you mentioned in a previous post) but can also provide the option to center the screen by using cursor keys (that is already available, but only from the presentation screem, so will enable that also during the game).

I'll upload a new version with that change next week.
I didn't know you could adjust the screen position with the cursor keys already. You see, I found out about your game from the aforementioned 8-bit guy video and he also said that the game also only works in PAL. So, I got so excited about playing it that I downloaded it and immediately from here.
I then proceeded to make the modification to get it centered on an NTSC screen.

So if you had mentioned the cursor key thing in another post or in documentation somewhere, I didn't read it.

My bad!
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Orangeman96 »

Lechuck wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:21 am
Orangeman96 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 pm You're famous now: the 8-Bit Guy mentions your work in his latest! -OGM
Thanks!. Yes, I saw it. When he mentioned he was going to try Prince of Persia in the Atari 400 mini, I thought he might mention the VIC-20 version. And he did, and also showed a short video of it :D

Cheers
Once again, well done! -OGM
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Ghislain wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:20 am I didn't know you could adjust the screen position with the cursor keys already. You see, I found out about your game from the aforementioned 8-bit guy video and he also said that the game also only works in PAL. So, I got so excited about playing it that I downloaded it and immediately from here.
I then proceeded to make the modification to get it centered on an NTSC screen.

So if you had mentioned the cursor key thing in another post or in documentation somewhere, I didn't read it.

My bad!
Yes, I mentioned it in the Description, in the post where I uploaded the zip with the game :)

But, initializing differently for PAL/NTSC is a good practice, anyway. And centering with the cursor keys, also in the game, will be helpful too…

Thanks
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

The ROM table at $EDE4 can be used to obtain useful default values for XPOS and YPOS by applying constant offsets, regardless whether you have a PAL or NTSC VIC-20:
  • $EDE4 contains 12 for PAL and 5 for NTSC, when you substract 5, you get 7 for PAL and 0 for NTSC.
  • $EDE5 contains 38 for PAL and 25 for NTSC, when you subtract 10, you get 28 for PAL and 15 for NTSC, the latter which should still be in order (Ghislain empirically obtained 13 instead).
This saves you a complicated PAL/NTSC detect routine, and it is exactly the same method MINIGRAFIK uses to re-center the display window for the 160x192 pixel resolution.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Mike wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:29 am The ROM table at $EDE4 can be used to obtain useful default values for XPOS and YPOS by applying constant offsets, regardless whether you have a PAL or NTSC VIC-20:
  • $EDE4 contains 12 for PAL and 5 for NTSC, when you substract 5, you get 7 for PAL and 0 for NTSC.
  • $EDE5 contains 38 for PAL and 25 for NTSC, when you subtract 10, you get 28 for PAL and 15 for NTSC, the latter which should still be in order (Ghislain empirically obtained 13 instead).
This saves you a complicated PAL/NTSC detect routine, and it is exactly the same method MINIGRAFIK uses to re-center the display window for the 160x192 pixel resolution.
Thanks, Mike,

OK, perfect. Haven’t done it yet, so will use that method to initialize it.

Cheers
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:shock: 2024 game releases have been mindblowing.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Jeff-20 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:26 am :shock: 2024 game releases have been mindblowing.
Thanks, Jeff,

just uploaded a new version. It now initializes $9000 and $9001 diferently for PAL/NTSC.

Screen can be centered, now, also during the game, using the cursor keys.

Cheers