Prince of Persia

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

thegg
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Prince of Persia

Post by thegg »

Really impressive work. Must have taken a lot of hours. I admire your dedication and attention to detail. Well done.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

thegg wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:38 pm Really impressive work. Must have taken a lot of hours. I admire your dedication and attention to detail. Well done.
Thanks, Thegg!

Yes, it took me one year to complete it (well, not 100% of the time, but I worked on the game an important part of my free time :D )

But I really enjoyed it. It was really rewarding.

Thanks again
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'm absolutely impressed! No words to describe what can be squeezed out of a VIC-20. I didn't even imagine that this could be accomplished, even in my wildest dreams - yep I know we had arcade quality shooters, Popeye and Frogger and Pac-Man and so on very close to the originals, and everything from huge RPGs to Doom, but heck, PoP is more an Amiga game than a 8-bit one!
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

orion70 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:03 pm I'm absolutely impressed! No words to describe what can be squeezed out of a VIC-20. I didn't even imagine that this could be accomplished, even in my wildest dreams - yep I know we had arcade quality shooters, Popeye and Frogger and Pac-Man and so on very close to the originals, and everything from huge RPGs to Doom, but heck, PoP is more an Amiga game than a 8-bit one!
Thanks a lot, Orion70!,

Yes, I always saw POP as a game from the 16 bits era, so, was very surprised when found out that it was, in fact, first created for an Apple II, that shares the 6502 with our beloved VIC… :D . The more I read about the game, the more Impressed I was about what Jordan Mechner was able to do from scratch. So, when I saw the version for the Spectrum, I thought it would be funny to try to something similar. And yes, it’s been certainly funny.

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

That looks really impressive. I briefly played this on the Amiga and never imagined we'd have a Vic conversion. Congratulations on your achievement.
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Ola H »

I, too, have just briefly played PoP on the Amiga and it didn't really click with me. But as I hold Jordan Mechner's other games in very high regard, I have always thought I should return to it one day. This might be the perfect opportunity as everything is more fun on the Vic :D

Thank you and congratulations on a very unexpected conversion!
Merytsetesh
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Merytsetesh »

This is really incredibly good. I've never played Prince of Persia but I've heard so many stories about it: it, and its development, are something out of legend. And here it is on the humble VIC-20... I'm speechless, and profoundly impressed.

I don't know the game, but I am curious if it would be possible or useful to load blocks of the game from disc to ease memory problems.

Anyway... good grief. Well done! *bows*
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:46 pm That looks really impressive. I briefly played this on the Amiga and never imagined we'd have a Vic conversion. Congratulations on your achievement.
Thanks Beamrider!,

I never played it in a real Amiga, but tried it recently in an emulator. And found it is almost identical (if not exactly the same) to the DOS version I remembered. That was, certainly, a great conversion :)

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Ola H wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:25 pm I, too, have just briefly played PoP on the Amiga and it didn't really click with me. But as I hold Jordan Mechner's other games in very high regard, I have always thought I should return to it one day. This might be the perfect opportunity as everything is more fun on the Vic :D

Thank you and congratulations on a very unexpected conversion!
Thanks,

if you ever decide to try it, I hope you enjoy it. This version is, certainly, much easier and simpler than the Amiga one...

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Merytsetesh wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:34 am This is really incredibly good. I've never played Prince of Persia but I've heard so many stories about it: it, and its development, are something out of legend. And here it is on the humble VIC-20... I'm speechless, and profoundly impressed.

I don't know the game, but I am curious if it would be possible or useful to load blocks of the game from disc to ease memory problems.

Anyway... good grief. Well done! *bows*
Thanks!

regarding the question about the disk, yes, I'm already loading parts of the game from disk (couldn't get everything to fit in memory at once). So, screen definitions for every level has to be read from disk. Appart from that, level 3 reads chars for the skeleton (replacing the 'normal' guard chars). Level 4 reloads the 'guard' chars and loads a different set of chars for the 'Palace' levels (4,5 and 6). In level 7, 'normal' chars for the dungeons are loaded again. After level 9, some additional code is loaded to, someway, replicate the 'Shadow Man' sword fighting (when working on that, I had already used all the available memory so, for that part, I'm replacing part of the code that is no longer used. And, finnally, there are two additional disk files for the two endings (happy one with the Princess hug, and sad one when you run out of time). So, I'm afraid that some pacience is required when runing it in a real VIC...

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Just uploaded a new version to fix another bug reported in the VIC-20 FB group. As pointed out there, problem is that I wasn't initializing a zero page address I'm using. After a normal reset it is 0 (what is OK with the game) but it takes a different value if any BASIC statement is used, provoking two 'Princes' instead of 1 being drawn. That is now fixed.

Cheers
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

This is quite something. I loved the C64 port, but this is even more staggering. Does it use the original Apple II 6502 code like the C64 port did?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Mayhem wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:47 am This is quite something. I loved the C64 port, but this is even more staggering. Does it use the original Apple II 6502 code like the C64 port did?
Thanks Mayhem,

no, I didn't use the original code. I downloaded it to have a look, but I'm terrible at interpreting what other have done, even with code as well structured as the one provided by Jordan Mechner. What I found really interesting was the pdf with notes provided by him. It gives a very good overview about how the different parts of the game are structured.

Cheers
bjonte
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bjonte »

This looks fantastic! The wall perspective suits the hardware and hides the wide pixels nicely. Good choice to use hires.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

bjonte wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:09 pm This looks fantastic! The wall perspective suits the hardware and hides the wide pixels nicely. Good choice to use hires.
Thanks!

yes, it would have been great to have the 'Prince' drawn in multicolor mode (using three colors as the C64 version), but the losse in resolution, didn't worth it (IMHO). Using Hires allows a very recognizable aspect, even in just Black & White.

Cheers