Pixel's Harvester and a corrupt wetware memory.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

8bitDenial
Vic 20 Newbie

Pixel's Harvester and a corrupt wetware memory.

Post by 8bitDenial »

I don't remember owning Pixel Productions Harvester when I still owned my original Vic-20 back in 1982/83 but I must've played it, as I re-wrote it entirely from memory for the ZX Spectrum.

I sent my Speccy conversion in to Sinclair User magazine, who published it in their December 1986 type-in section as "Planet Proton".

In all of the intervening years, I've been 100% convinced I'd converted a TI-99/4A type-in, from one of those popular "Games to type-in and then spend days hunting for typos" books.

But, NO. It appears I MUST'VE played Harvester on the Vic-20 at some stage and thought "I could write a better version on my ZX Spectrum".

Indeed (I believe), I pulled it off!

My memory of playing a similar multiplayer game, round at a TI-994A owning friend's house and thinking "I enjoyed playing this multiplayer game. I SO want to go home and re-write this for my Speccy" is clearly a corrupt wetware memory.

I had previously been searching for a Texas Instruments source, which possibly [most likely; probably] doesn't even exist.

Just this evening, I loaded Harvester onto my Vic-20 for the "first" time and got a complete surprise.

...I don't recognise or even remember this game from my original Vic-20 owning days. I DO remember buying and playing the Trader Trilogy but I certainly don't recognise the cassette inlay cover for Harvester, yet I CLEARLY must remember having PLAYED IT, to then have re-coded it on a competing system some 2 or 3 years later. I even used the exact same player scorecard layout and playfield colours.

All these years, I've been convincing myself I'd ripped-off a crappy TI-99 game, only to discover nearly 40 years later (and completely by accident) it was an equally terrible Vic-20 game, which I have no recollection of ever playing, but then subsequently re-coded entirely from the memory of a single night, playing it with TI-99 owning friends.

What a bizarre evening.

Harvester (Vic-20)
harvester.png
harvester.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 348 times
Planet Proton (ZX Spectrum)
proton.png
Both games are available from the usual download locations for comparison.
Orangeman96
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Pixel's Harvester and a corrupt wetware memory.

Post by Orangeman96 »

8bitDenial wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:56 pm I don't remember owning Pixel Productions Harvester when I still owned my original Vic-20 back in 1982/83 but I must've played it, as I re-wrote it entirely from memory for the ZX Spectrum.

All these years, I've been convincing myself I'd ripped-off a crappy TI-99 game, only to discover nearly 40 years later (and completely by accident) it was an equally terrible Vic-20 game, which I have no recollection of ever playing, but then subsequently re-coded entirely from the memory of a single night, playing it with TI-99 owning friends.
That's mega-crazy, 8bitDenial! I am assuming the ZX Speccy version was 40-column? -OGM
8bitDenial
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 8bitDenial »

The ZX Spectrum has a display resolution of 256 x 192 pixels. or 24 character rows, by 32 columns, with only a single background and foreground colour per 8x8 character square.

As with the Vic-20, if you moved a character smoothly to an adjacent grid, there was noticeable colour clash. It's what the Speccy is famous for, but it didn't do it first. The Vic-20 beat it to colour-clash by at least a year.

You only need to compare the original 16K Speccy version of Jet Pac with the later 8K Vic-20 release to see what I mean.

Speccy Jet Pac is still in my top 3 Sinclair video games, even to this day.

I have to admit though. I much prefer the original ZX Spectrum version of Jet Pac, even though I bought the Vic conversion first, and owned both versions back in the day.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

8bitDenial wrote:[...] colour clash. It's what the Speccy is famous for, but it didn't do it first. The Vic-20 beat it to colour-clash by at least a year. [...]
About any home computer at that time had to compromise on memory bandwidth for the video chip. Adding lower resolution attributes to the 'B/W' display data was a common way to increase the number of available colours on screen without overly increasing bandwidth. For example, the display system on the Apple II (which predates both VIC-20 and ZX Spectrum) uses an attribute bit in each bitmap byte to switch between the colour pairs green/purple or blue/orange in hires mode.

Anyway, those are only limitations if you go by the respective data sheets (and you missed out on the multi-colour capability of VIC-I, BTW) - both computers have demonstrated their video chips are much more flexible than that: see Ultraviolet on ZX Spectrum, FLInale on VIC-20.