New BASIC game for the unexpanded VIC: TINY QUEST

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ricky_derocher
Vic 20 Newbie

New BASIC game for the unexpanded VIC: TINY QUEST

Post by ricky_derocher »

So, yesterday I had the day off from work, and when I woke up in the morning I had the crazy idea that "You should try to write a BASIC text adventure for the unexpanded Commodore VIC 20" pop into my head. Several hours of coding later, this is the result. Nothing fancy at all here, but I'm just pleased that I managed to squeeze a text adventure into 3.5K. Feel free to upload to any site.

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/ ... 1.d64/file

Last edited by ricky_derocher on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: New BASIC game for the unexpanded VIC: TINY QUEST

Post by tokra »

Would like to try it, but the link is wrong/dead.
ricky_derocher
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ricky_derocher »

tokra wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:51 am Would like to try it, but the link is wrong/dead.
I reposted link.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Thanks, that was a fun 5 minutes :mrgreen:
thegg
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by thegg »

Thank you. I will live happily ever after. :)
I liked your text. Perhaps you shouldn't restrict yourself to unexpanded memory and try something more expansive.
Well done.
ricky_derocher
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ricky_derocher »

tokra wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:25 am Thanks, that was a fun 5 minutes :mrgreen:
I'm glad you had fun!
thegg wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:11 am Thank you. I will live happily ever after. :)
I liked your text. Perhaps you shouldn't restrict yourself to unexpanded memory and try something more expansive.
Well done.
I've been thinking about expanding the game on the C64 with massive 64K to play around with! :)
Soloman
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Soloman »

This is very nice! I didn't solve it yet, I am now in the castle watching a tower to the west. I was developing an text adventure for the unexpanded too for Christmas (Christmas adventure). The target was to get a christmas tree. But I had an accident on the way, so I develop it later for Christmas this year. Inbetween I can write another adventure for the unexpanded, I already have an idea.

I see you had the same struggles like I did. A verb AND a noun as command? Phew, that's again extra coding and extra words. You solved it nice!
And with appropiate place descriptions. Compliments!
ricky_derocher
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ricky_derocher »

Soloman wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:52 pm I was developing an text adventure for the unexpanded too for Christmas (Christmas adventure). The target was to get a christmas tree. But I had an accident on the way, so I develop it later for Christmas this year. Inbetween I can write another adventure for the unexpanded, I already have an idea.
Sounds like fun!
I see you had the same struggles like I did. A verb AND a noun as command? Phew, that's again extra coding and extra words. You solved it nice!
And with appropiate place descriptions. Compliments!
It definitely is a challenge to get a game resembling a real text adventure squeezed down into 3.5K for the unexpanded VIC-20!
ricky_derocher
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ricky_derocher »

Tiny Quest V1.1 for the VIC 20 (with 8K RAM expansion) is finished!

Now that I have completed my first goal of squeezing a BASIC text adventure into 3.5K of RAM for the unexpanded VIC, it's on to improving the game! This new 1.1 version adds a custom font and trapped input instead of using the BASIC input command.

Is it possible for IRQ music to play in the background of a VIC 20 BASIC program? (And if so, is someone out there willing to help me with this?)

Next up, expanding the game with more rooms, objects, etc.

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/ ... 0.d64/file