FujiNet on CBM (IEC)

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

FujiNet on CBM (IEC)

Post by akator »

It appears that work to make an IEC Commodore compatible FujiNet is underway. This could be the next "must have" C= peripheral. FujiNet on the Atari computers is pretty amazing.

For those who don't know, FujiNet devices plug into the Atari computer SIO peripheral port. This one device provides disk, WiFi, modem emulation, network translation, file server access, printing, speech synth, and a web server to remotely transfer files to the device and change device settings. It's basically a Swiss Army Knife of peripherals, all in one.

Obviously an IEC FujiNet can't do everything, but it's still an exciting possibility.

I'm an end-user and useless at developing on my 8-bit machines, but would anyone else be interested in contributing to the IEC FujiNet development? It would be incredible to see an IEC FujiNet become reality.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: FujiNet on CBM (IEC)

Post by chysn »

I’ve just started building VIC-20 peripherals myself, and this is an intriguing model. I considered building around the ESP32, and I’ve got a few of them on hand. In the end, I took two different paths:

1) I use Arduino Nanos instead. They’re not quite as capable as ESP32s. I don’t always need every feature, so I can make lots of things with cheaper Nanos; and Nano’s low power consumption makes it ideal for VIC-20-powered peripherals.

2) I’m building for the user port rather than IEC.

I may spend part of this weekend learning more about IEC. I’ve already worked with ESP32, and its built-in support for modern protocols has much potential. Downside is, it’s power-hungry, and will usually need more than the 100mA that the VIC-20 peripheral ports provide.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his