Post here everytime you get something new for your Vic

Discuss anything related to the VIC
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

I picked up a well-thumbed copy of the book "ZAP! POW! BOOM! Arcade Games for the VIC-20". I then spent about two hours keying in the listing for Alien Marauders (Space Invaders). Well... they tried. It actually doesn't look too bad, just runs at a glacial pace in BASIC. Guess I'll stick with Avengers or similar.
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

^
I learned half my BASIC skills from that very book when I was a youngster!

That's the one with the red cover and white text on it? Memories...

I just got a new Vic with PET style keys on it. It's the first PAL one I've come across and I got it as a by-product getting a new (old!) Datasette. Chuffed! :)
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

Are there any of the programs you would recommend going to the effort of typing up?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

CBR125R wrote:I picked up a well-thumbed copy of the book "ZAP! POW! BOOM! Arcade Games for the VIC-20". I then spent about two hours keying in the listing for Alien Marauders (Space Invaders). Well... they tried. It actually doesn't look too bad, just runs at a glacial pace in BASIC. Guess I'll stick with Avengers or similar.
I've got a pile of Vic20 books here awaiting being typed up at some point, including this one. If you do type more games up from the book, please pass them on ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

CBR125R wrote:I picked up a well-thumbed copy of the book "ZAP! POW! BOOM! Arcade Games for the VIC-20". I then spent about two hours keying in the listing for Alien Marauders (Space Invaders). Well... they tried. It actually doesn't look too bad, just runs at a glacial pace in BASIC. Guess I'll stick with Avengers or similar.
This is one of the reasons why I wish I had the mental discipline to learn to program. It would be great to be able to look at the source code for a type-in program and make changes to improve the game.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I also have a pile of VIC 20 type in books. The problem is I don't have much time, I'm not much good at spotting bugs as I've forgotten nearly everything I knew about BASIC V2.0 (which wasn't much anyway), and nearly every game I've ever typed in has either been rubbish, or it doesn't work. Coupled with that I don't have a reliable way of sharing them. I could type them into VICE I suppose, but for me the real fun is typing them into a real VIC 20. Yes, I must be mad.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've generally typed stuff into BASedit for listings. Either copy/paste from OCR or scans in PDF, or literally, physical book next to me stuff. I can see, at a glance, if I've typo'ed a command as it flags things up for me, and I can make PRG files instantly from the listing, try it, and then immediately correct something if there's an error.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Sounds quite good, maybe I'll try it one day.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

I received a cart of Parker Brothers' Q*Bert last night and played it for an hour. It's not the best version but I still like it
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Dodo Lair - to figure out the rule that you die if a purple alien gets to the right hand side of the screen.

Boxed Alphacom 80 printer and interface for about £13 - looks lovely and new and works great. I only had a pen plotter to play with before on the Vic.

Printer test programs this weekend!
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

My on-off search for a copy of Beast of Eden has finally ended. It's the first VIC item I've bought for almost a year and it cost me the grand total of £5.99.

This was one of the first games I played via emulator when I rediscovered the VIC. The title caught my eye (word play on one of my favourite books) and the game turned out to be a fairly decent collect-em-up.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Cool, I think I have that in my tapes, I will give it a go.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Nathan
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by Nathan »

Can someone give me a spare VIC 20 that works? so i can check these cartridges because i think my VIC has a problem with loading carts, and i will need a Mega Cart if someone can throw it in there
Commodore 128D < mine
Vic 20 < mine
12 floppy disks worth of games
C2N datasette
C64 < mine now haha!
One does not throw out his old stuff! - me
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

My newest items aren't really new...I've had them for a few years. The last items I bought are 2 two Mega-Carts and 2 Behr-Bonz cartridges. Both are the best purchases I ever made for my Vic-20. Saved me from the hassle of changing cartridges evey 10 minutes.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

FINALLY! I got myself a copy of Bomber Mission. I've been after it for a while and finally won it on evilBay for less than a fiver including P&P.

It was one of those games from my childhood that I really needed to get on tape again. Can't wait for it to arrive. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3