Speech synth cartridges

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

@ Mikam73

Yes, I have the software in the Adman manual which works with Chatterbox. There is a speaking clock and a program to speak all the allophones.

I am 50% through converting the manual to text. After that I will copy paste the code into Vice and save them to a D64 image and post text and disk here.

I ordered the plug, socket and cable yesterday so it should arrive Tuesday and will take an hour or so to replace.

I would appreciate buying your spare board once you have Chatterbox back. I am happy with just a functioning cart, not bothered about labels etc.

@ RHURST - I will put together some samples "Kill the humanoid, kill the intruder".

The voice chips are available at about £10. The rest of the components a few pounds more. I think it would be possible to make new carts for a special version of Vic Bezerk!
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Vic20-Ian wrote:The voice chips are available at about £10. The rest of the components a few pounds more. I think it would be possible to make new carts for a special version of Vic Bezerk!
Oooo, new carts!

That would be nice,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I have completed the manual conversion and created a d64. I will try and test later.

Someone please PM me where we can store this document and the D64 for Adman and Currah Chatterbox.

Cheers.
Ian
Vic20-Ian

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Vic20-Ian wrote:I have completed the manual conversion and created a d64. I will try and test later.

Someone please PM me where we can store this document and the D64 for Adman and Currah Chatterbox.
zimmers.net is the best place to store these things imo. If the manual is too big for Bo's server, you could send it to David L. Haynes so he can put it in his huge document archive at www.bombjack.org.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

I have never had any software for Vic20 speech cartridges, would be nice to try 8) If you have empty discs, you could maybe send some software with cartridge :)

We used to play lot with SAM at C64, but no speech with Vic.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Here you go until I get it onto a floppy, type in for adman. Set TI$= “142530
Last edited by Vic20-Ian on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vic20-Ian

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Vic20-Ian wrote: I would appreciate buying your spare board once you have Chatterbox back. I am happy with just a functioning cart, not bothered about labels etc.
Maybe we can trade it to something. I am not good asking money from nice people :)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

By the way, I found two programs here: Phoneme Editor and Phoneme Speak. Those supposedly require "some hardware" at $9800. Could they be compatible with the Adman/Chatterbox series of speech cartridges?

http://zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/vic2 ... index.html
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Well, it is all done and ready to be returned to Mikam73.

Thank you Mikam for the loan of this great cartridge.

Chatterbox by Currah and Adman speech cart seem identical. Adman programs work on the Currah Chatterbox.

A new plug, socket and cable have been soldered and tested good as new.

As part of the testing:

1. Manual converted to word doc and HTML.

2. Main software for a speaking clock and to sound all allophones entered, tested and run on Vic20. Appended to the manual in lower case for copy paste into Vice.

3. Created a little program for Berzerk sound son the Vic20 it says:

"Kill the Humanoid"

"Kill The Intruder"

"Coin Detected in Pocket"

and as a bonus Cylons saying "By your command"

4. d64 created - All Allophones, Speaking Clock, Berzerk Vic20

5. MP3 and AMR (mobile recording) of Berzerk Vic20.

6. Images of the PCB.

All files sent to Carlsson for archiving on zimmers.

N.B. the 2 files on zimmers Phoneme Editor.t and Phoneme Speak.t are not for the Adman / Currah unit but is copyright 1983 Personal Peripheral Products.

Thanks again, it was fun and nice to get something old running again.

Vic20-Ian
Vic20-Ian

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Ian: Did you have time send cartridge yet?
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Mikam,

I didn't manage to send before my trip as I hadn't archived the ROM.

I managed this with Carlsson's help last few days and it is now boxed up and ready for posting. My wife will post it for me tomorrow as I had to leave for the airport this afternoon. Long haul flight tomorrow 9am.

Should be with you soon.

I am starting on a cartridge build of my own (or 2). First is an SP0256 based speech cart probably based on the Maplin one as it is quite easy. (Thanks Shem) to be followed hopefully by something like SID output and speech and possibly RR Net??
Vic20-Ian

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Vic20-Ian wrote:
I am starting on a cartridge build of my own (or 2). First is an SP0256 based speech cart probably based on the Maplin one as it is quite easy. (Thanks Shem) to be followed hopefully by something like SID output and speech and possibly RR Net??
Thats very cool.. 8)