Help test the much rewritten xvic for the next VICE.

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

eslapion wrote:First game to test: Is Bandits still displaying garbage after a few minutes running...

:D

Added edit: Will we eventually get paddle support?
Well well, looks like this one is promising!

I can't crash Bandits at all and the paddles are obtained with Alt-Q (the mouse turns into a paddle, apparently).

How do I know exaclty what is paddle X and what is paddle Y is another matter but at least its there.
Be normal.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Re: Help test the much rewritten xvic for the next VICE.

Post by nbla000 »

tlr wrote: [*]DirectX9 support for window scaling. (eg: change the width to get an accurate aspect ratio)
I've tested it in fullscreen on a widescreen netbook and aspect ratio looks like a real vic monitor :D
Added support for Mega-Cart and Final Expansion.
Since the Final Expansion includes an SD2IEC, it will be also emulated ?

Btw it's not a bad idea to add a stand-alone uIEC/SD2IEC emulation in the drive list, what do you think ?
eslapion wrote:How do I know exaclty what is paddle X and what is paddle Y is another matter but at least its there.
What do you mean exactly ? I've tested the Paddle emulation with my Pong and other games and it works great except the already fixed Y Mouse invert for Paddle 2 (better for vertical paddle games).
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Strobe
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Strobe »

rhurst wrote:x128 displays fine unless you enter:

Code: Select all

GRAPHIC 2,1
... and the bottom text rows below the bitmap graphic start to flicker.
Hi, can you please give a bit more info on this flickering? I've tried that mode on my 128 and get the same flickering raster line at the top of the first line of text as I do in x128.

Also if there is any feedback on VDC emulation that would be welcome, there has been a lot of changes to the VDC emulation code and not a lot of testing.
Strobe || Errol Smith
Strobe
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Strobe »

Bacon wrote:Is the source available so I can try it out in Linux? Any plans to implement the window scaling feature there too? It should be doable with SDL for example.
Anyone is free to pull down the source from the SVN repository, accessible through the sourceforge page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/develop

The new version can also be built with SDL, and the SDL builds include a whole page of settings for screen size, fixed ratio etc.
Strobe || Errol Smith
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

... a bit more info on this flickering?
On a real C128 (at least my NTSC version) it does not flicker, and it is not supposed to. It looks like the raster line interrupt set at the top of the screen row (19) is not caught on every frame to switch between bitmap and text modes. The syntax of the GRAPHIC command also allows for changing the row of the split screen.

It DOES flicker on a real C128 when accessing the floppy drive, but that should be expected.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I don't know if it's just me but I'm having problems with the paddle support. I have tried to 'capture' the mouse using the ALT-Q but it has failed to work every time except once. When I say fail I mean nothing happens - the mouse is still active in Windoze.

The one time it did work I was trying to play Clowns (paddle version!) but the wee man on the see-saw would periodically 'jump' across the screen! Sometimes just by a few pixels but others a good quarter of the screen. The direction seemed to be random to (ie/ sometimes left, sometimes right).

I have tried nippur's and nbla's Pong but have been equally unsuccessful with the 'paddles'.

As a slight tangent I have a question regarding the paddles implementation. How do you set it for 2 paddles? As one paddle is read as the x movement of the joystick port and the other paddle is read as the y movement am I to presume that you can only use the one mouse with the x and y movement being read as paddles one and two?

In other regards the emu is much nicer - the window scaling is a great boon! Thanks. :)

Oh, and is there somewhere official where you can post feature request? I have a suggestion or two! :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

carlsson wrote:
tlr wrote:In addition no one on the team has experience with the NTSC Vic-20.
Experience = no access to a physical machine? If you like, I could lend my NTSC VIC-20 on a long term to you. Ideal opportunity to swap would be the upcoming Retrogathering, October 10-11. I wouldn't be in great rush to get it back, only so it isn't lost forever.
that and also experience in timing code for it.
gklinger wrote:I've got a spare NTSC VIC-20 motherboard that I'd be glad to donate. I could send an entire VIC-20 if you'd prefer.
Thanks for the offers! :)
I don't have time to do the tests myself currently so I can't accept. I'll ask the rest of the team.
I do accept test programs that work on the NTSC VIC-20 but not on vice though. ;)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I don't know if it's just me but I'm having problems with the paddle support.
Strange no problems for me, just mouse left-right for paddle1 and up-down for paddle2, I've selected the item from the settings menu (not in full screen and not with ALT+Q) and on Windows XP of course.
Oh, and is there somewhere official where you can post feature request? I have a suggestion or two! :P
Send them here.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Strobe
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Strobe »

rhurst wrote:On a real C128 (at least my NTSC version) it does not flicker, and it is not supposed to.
Ahh, the keyword here is "NTSC", and I can see what you mean switching to NTSC in x128. All the VIC-II stuff is identical to x64 so I'm surprised to see any issues with raster interrupts.
I only have a PAL 128 to test with (and I think I'm the only one doing anything with Vice that does have a 128), but I'll see what I can do.
Strobe || Errol Smith
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Strobe wrote:
Bacon wrote:Is the source available so I can try it out in Linux? Any plans to implement the window scaling feature there too? It should be doable with SDL for example.
Anyone is free to pull down the source from the SVN repository, accessible through the sourceforge page:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vice-emu/develop

The new version can also be built with SDL, and the SDL builds include a whole page of settings for screen size, fixed ratio etc.
Great!
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: Help test the much rewritten xvic for the next VICE.

Post by eslapion »

nbla000 wrote:
eslapion wrote:How do I know exaclty what is paddle X and what is paddle Y is another matter but at least its there.
What do you mean exactly ? I've tested the Paddle emulation with my Pong and other games and it works great except the already fixed Y Mouse invert for Paddle 2 (better for vertical paddle games).
And then you said:
just mouse left-right for paddle1 and up-down for paddle2, I've selected the item from the settings menu (not in full screen and not with ALT+Q) and on Windows XP of course.
That's what I meant. :wink:
Be normal.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

I just compiled the SDL version. The window scaling is great! Any chance to get it implemented in the Gnome-UI version?
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Macguyver
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Macguyver »

Is the sound more accurate in the latest release?

I seem to recall that this was one area of VICE where the Vic Emulation wasn't quite there yet.

Mac
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The sound engine was mostly rewritten in the previous release, so it should remain the improved state also in this release.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
xlar54
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by xlar54 »

I dont know if its new in this release, but I also noticed (at least on the VIC emulator) that I can now move the VICE window across a dual monitor setup and the screen will refresh just fine. (Prior to, on my setup, the emulated machine would appear to freeze - moving back to the original monitor would allow refreshes again)