user port usb adapter

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

user port usb adapter

Post by cobracon »

So I was checking out ebay the other day and noticed this. It's a RS232 to usb user port adapter for the vic 20. So I decided to pick one up.

Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GGLABS-GLI ... SwtfhYogn1

So could this be used like the striketerm cable for the c64? Maybe even a pc mouse for the vic?

Looks like he has about 8 of these left so far. They also have a wesite as well. gglabs.us
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: user port usb adapter

Post by beamrider »

cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

Thanks for the link. That's a neat idea, but since I have this card I'll be using tcper for the connection.

But can this be used for a mouse or keyboard? I have no idea how to write code that well. lol Just wondering if it is possible?
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I think this allows you to connect your Commodore to another computer using a USB to serial converter. I doubt it contains a USB hub controller that would allow you to connect USB devices to the VIC.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

cobracon wrote:Thanks for the link. That's a neat idea, but since I have this card I'll be using tcper for the connection.

But can this be used for a mouse or keyboard? I have no idea how to write code that well. lol Just wondering if it is possible?
Isn't your device essentially the same thing? If not what chipset is it using? Difficult to see from the eBay link.

Edit: my bad I thought your device was Vic 2 ethernet.

So what use is Vic 2 usb exactly when you can go direct to ethernet. As mentioned the possibility of being able to connect usb peripherals is extremely unlikely.
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

This is the chip that is in it; http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT230X.html
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

So this device allows you to attach your VIC to a PC, software on the VIC uses the RS-232 device and the PC sees a USB-based serial port.
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

Thanks. Has anyone made one that you could hook a usb mouse or keyboard in?
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

cobracon wrote:Thanks. Has anyone made one that you could hook a usb mouse or keyboard in?
Not to my knowledge, and not sure why you would want to do that?

There isn't any Vic software that would support a USB mouse and the Vic already has a keyboard..
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

Well I know I've seen quite a few threads about trying to make a mouse work on the vic. I've also see posts about people needing a mouse for a new icon driven os. Also the keyboards won't last forever so it would be nice to have an open option. Just think, you could hook up a keyboard with a long cord and sit back and enjoy some games. :) Also new usb hardware for the vic.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

cobracon wrote:Well I know I've seen quite a few threads about trying to make a mouse work on the vic.
People are just surprised, that even though a 1351 mouse physically fits to the joystick port, it doesn't register any position values over the POTX/POTY registers, because the signalling method (just) works for the SID in the C64/C128, but not the VIC-I in the VIC-20. The 1351 mouse, however, is the only proportional mouse that got (somewhat) widespead use on the 8-Bit Commodore machines. All other candidates are even more uncommon.

So, there's no functioning 'standard' mouse available for the VIC-20 right from the beginning. Now it happens, that people tend to forget about this, and then the same questions are being asked by new Denial members one year later. :lol:
I've also see posts about people needing a mouse for a new icon driven os.
What I've seen are test programs to read out position values from some other brand of mouse. In one particular case, the structure of that program didn't even make any attempt at being a driver, i.e. just delivering co-ordinates in the background, and leaving it at the concerns of the main/foreground program to use the position data.

So far there's no "New Icon-driven OS" around for the VIC-20, that would be worth speaking of (with the exception of VIN, and that's been from 2010).
Also the keyboards won't last forever so it would be nice to have an open option. Just think, you could hook up a keyboard with a long cord and sit back and enjoy some games. :) Also new usb hardware for the vic.
People tend to shoot their VIC-20s with defective power supplies. The keyboard in that case is the last thing that takes damage. Any new hardware attached to the VIC-20 will need to be supported by programs/games/applications/tools on a per-program basis. There's no hardware abstraction or driver layer, that would 'magically' retro-fit mouse support into 'old' programs.
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

Yeah I totally get there is not any old programs that would use a mouse. It's just like anything new that comes out new. Everything new requires programmers support. You should know that better than anyone. Your mods to the vic and software you right is incredible.

I was just curious as to why know one has done it yet. Also seems that a serial mouse would be quite possible as well. Couldn't you technically plug a serial mouse into the new midi card as well?
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

btw, the upcoming micromys v5 adapter will do 1531-alike mouse for vic20 :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

groepaz wrote:btw, the upcoming micromys v5 adapter will do 1531-alike mouse for vic20 :)
That just made my day!! Thanks!