Title Screens

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Title Screens

Post by Jeff-20 »

How important is a title sceen in a game to you? Is it really needed?

I guess it could set the mood with more advanced games; however, they take a lot of memory. Consider Omega Race versus Gridrunner versus Creepy Corridors. . .

Some are memorable. Some are not.

Even when I look at my coin-op games, I notice that Pac-man does't really have a title screen at all because the graphic art on the machine (and other print materials) is memorable. The Donkey Kong title screen seems wasted to me because I am more likely to remember the (totally different) marquee lettering.

Do you prefer the publisher spend more time on the look of the box and save memory for a better program (Shamus) or give us a dramatic title screen that dazzles and leaves an impression (Mosquito Infestation)?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Title screens often provide info on how to play the game. And that is important.

The more spectacular stuff... Well if you have some space left, then why not... I would rather like a cool intro screen than unused space in the cartridge rom.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

As long as the title screen doesn't take away from the game....I'm all for it. It can really set the mood and provide score info (like Omega Race, Pac Man, Space Invaders, etc.)

Sometimes I just like to watch the title/demo screen do its thing. Brings me back to the days when as a kid I had used up all my quarters in the arcade and had to watch the title screens of the machines, wishing I could play and thinking of each games potential. (don't worry - I don't do this often :lol: )
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

No disrespect intended, but didn't anyone find Tom Griner's title screen a little too much. As pretty as it may be, Choptlifter looks like a demo rather than a game! Has any title screen (or lack thereof) disappointed you?
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Jeff-20 wrote:No disrespect intended, but didn't anyone find Tom Griner's title screen a little too much. As pretty as it may be, Choptlifter looks like a demo rather than a game! Has any title screen (or lack thereof) disappointed you?
Yeah, if the title screen is better than the game, then that is a real let-down. As for Choplifter, at least the game is still a wonderful classic.

f I recall correctly, Tom Griner's games had great title screens, but I think the only problem was that you couldn't skip them. I really don't like when you have to watch an elaborate title screen with all sorts of animations, etc. but cannot skip through it.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Scarecity Hotel has a strange and completely unnecessary title screen I have grown to love. However, I find myself less and less interested in wasting the memory as a programmer. I'd rather add a bonus level or ending sequence. At least they are part of the game.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i think i have loved every title screen that fellow denial members have done for their games.

i have always been impressed and envious.

chris