VIC-20 Game Cassette REPAIR!

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

amigaman07
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC-20 Game Cassette REPAIR!

Post by amigaman07 »

Cassettes, a Reliable Recording Format, or NOT?

Have you ever Played your Fave VIC-20 Game to Death?

Have you ever Loaded your Fave VIC-20 Game Cassette, to find the Datassette CHEWED it Up for Dinner?

Has your Fave VIC-20 Game Cassette Just Worn Completely Out, as it is Now over 30 Years OLD!?

Well, here is a Way to FIX those Fave VIC-20 Cassette Based Games!

You will need some Tools of the Trade for this Repair:

1) Grab your Original Faulty Cassette Game, say it is BEWITCHED by Ocean.

2) Grab a New Blank Cassette of Good Quality.

3) Grab a Pair of Scissors, Roll of Sticky Tape and a BIC Pen.

4) A Tape to Tape Recorder will come in Handy for this Project!

5) For those PC Savvy among us, a Computer with .TAP Utility is also a Must!

6) Copy a Working Version of your Original Game (Bewitched) to the Blank Cassette, by Borrowing a Mates Known Copy of the Game that Works, or Download it from .TAP or equivalent and Record to the New Blank Cassette. (There is No Copyright Breach here, as you Own the Rights to your Original Cassette and the Law States you can Back-Up your Original Software!)

7) When Recorded. Rewind the Blank Cassette and Load onto your VIC-20 to Test.

8) If the Game (Bewitched) has Recorded Sucessfully and has Loaded, DO NOT REWIND THE BLANK CASSETTE!

9) Eject the Blank Cassette, and Spool the Tape OUT from after the Recording, about 10cm and Cut the Tape!

10) Spool Out the Original Game Cassettes Tape completely, and Cut the Tape just Leaving the Clear Tape Loader at Each end of the Cassette. You should have a pile of Tape on the Cutting Floor!

11) Join the Cut End of the Blank Cassette with Sticky Tape to the Clear Leader Tape at the Correct End of the Original Cassette Game, and Use the BIC Pen to Wind the Blank Cassette Tape into the Original Game Cassette.

12) When you get to the Clear Loader Tape on the Blank Cassette, Cut the Tape off just before the Clear Leader Tape. Then Join the Remaining end of the Tape with Sticky Tape to the Clear Loader Tape on the Original Tape Game.

13) Spool the Remainer of the Tape inside the Original Game Cassette.

14) You should Now have a Fully Working Game, back on the Original Cassette. This is a Bit Fiddly, but the Satisfaction is Great when you Bung the original Cassette (Bewitched) in your Datassette and it Loads First time!

Enjoy :0

amigaman07
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: VIC-20 Game Cassette REPAIR!

Post by ral-clan »

Why don't you just open up the cassettes and swap the reels? Much easier.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
amigaman07
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by amigaman07 »

Good Point! :)

But Unfortunately, I have observed, most of My VIC-20 Game Cassettes are Glued Together! (So not Possible!)

Dont know about yourself, But I do Not want to Crack or Break the Original Cassettes, Attempting to Split them Open!

;)

amigaman07
ForgottenGrove
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by ForgottenGrove »

Excellent how-to!

There's a lot of value in the nostalgia of these original bits n pieces... Even if you could find that cassette again on eBay or somewhere, nothing replaces that original that you had as a kid way back when. This is about as close as it's possible to get to that!

Cheers :-)
the moons of Saturn do bOuNcE and roll relentlessly! (A global ocean beneath the ice encrusted surface of icy moon Enceladus powers them)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

ral-clan wrote:Why don't you just open up the cassettes and swap the reels? Much easier.
Yes, of course. The glued together cassettes are a real bother.

This would be kind of cool to use in a datasette --- it's shaped like a cassetted, and you put in in a cassette player, but it actually holds an SD card full of audio files. You could fill it up with TAP games converted to mp3 or .wav and your datasette would think you were just playing a regular cassette (there is a remote control to change file).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EU-Vintage-Car- ... 5425e658c0

The only problem might be that with all those games (I imagine it could hold hundreds or more) and no display, it would be pretty hard to predict which game you had queued up to load until you actually tried to load it and saw the file name.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I never found myself in a situation where my datasette chewed up any of my tapes because:
1. I don't use cheap tapes - I use strictly type I tapes of good quality

2. I regularly clean the rubber roller - dirty rubber rollers stick and that's what can cause any tape deck to chew up a tape

3. I demagnetize the head every once in awhile too - magnetized heads are the main cause of tapes getting slightly erased when reading/playing them back

... preventive maintenance goes a long way...
Be normal.