LCD television

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

William_X
Vic 20 Drifter

LCD television

Post by William_X »

So I was looking into breaking out my Vic (and eschewing Vice for a bit), and realized I had given away my last crt during a move. I'm looking at purchasing a 32" lcd/led television for my Vic and Atari, and was wondering if any of you are using an external (i.e. not built into the tv) upscaler, and for recommendations.

Bill
--
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." - B. Banzai
eslapion
ultimate expander

Re: LCD television

Post by eslapion »

As I was discussion with motrucker on Melon64, the Nextvision N6 from Viewsonic is an astounding Composite/S-Video to VGA converter which offers impressive image quality.

I noted RCA flat panel televisions (I have the 19" model but there are many larger models) are both NTSC and PAL compatible and they take the non-standard TV signal from VIC-20 or C64/C128 perfectly well. Unfortunately, they don't have an S-Video input.

If you use a 80 col. adapter for the VIC-20/C64 (they are all monochrome AFAIK) or the C128 monochrome 80 col. output, the RCA TVs will adjust to the fact there is no color burst signal and will provide a resolution higher than composite video - just as good as a monochrome CRT.
Be normal.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: LCD television

Post by mrr19121970 »

There is a new commodore 1084 with collection only in Berlinif that is helpful. Falling that checkout the 15 or 20 inch Phillips edtv 4121 range with manual tuner, hdmi, scart, vga, s-video, rgb and composite. 20 inch is "big" for the vic. You can get on ebay from about 30 euros. Alternate is the 4122 model with dvi instead of vga but big ugly speakers make it look huge.