I got a Dragon 32!

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

I got a Dragon 32!

Post by 16KVIC20 »

My brother in law has just given me a Dragon 32 on long term loan.

It was last switched on 25 years ago he says. It was in his shed and came in a carrier bag with PSU, 2 cassette leads plus owner's manual. It was pretty dirty but otherwise in good condition with all keys present.

I checked the plug, which needed rewiring, but it fired up on first switch on!

Microsoft wrote the Basic interpreter apparently; didn't they just get everywhere?!

Apparently it is a British (Welsh) Clone of the TRS - 80 Co Co, well sort of anyway.

Other than that I have nothing for it.

If anybody could recommend me a good assortment of software for it, I'd be grateful. It would be nice to see what it can do.
From what I've read it seems to me that this was a computer that with a little more care would have been really good.

It lacks : Function keys, Cursor Keys, decent joystick ports, lower case letters. I also heard it's not that good fro graphics, but I'll reserve judgement on that.

With those issues sorted out it could have taken on some of the big competition I reckon.

Anyway, working after 25 years of inactivity in one shed to the next must be worth something!
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: I got a Dragon 32!

Post by beamrider »

I remember it only had a single sound channel...
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: I got a Dragon 32!

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I didn't realise that.

Mind you that didn't stop the ZX....

At the moment I can't seem to find a definitive answer to how many sound channels there were. It probably was one though; which, I agree, is a pretty bad shortfall.