[Finished] Yacht Dice Game

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Don't some things change in the memory map when you use +3k compared to unexpanded, or even +8k? May not affect Trode directly, I was speaking more generally.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Okay then, the +3K RAM expansion just moves the BASIC start from $1001 down to $0401, but leaves screen memory and colour RAM at the same place as in the unexpanded configuration. Most BASIC programs written for the unexpanded VIC-20, even those that use redefined characters, run without any issues with a +3K RAM cart. ML programs with a BASIC stub for the unexpanded VIC-20 are obviously loaded to the wrong address though.

You're right in that the VIC-20 reorganises the memory more thoroughly, when +8K or more RAM is added (BASIC start moved to $1201, screen to $1000 and colour RAM to $9400), but this is something a programmer on the VIC-20 just has to know and take into account, nothing more.
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Looks and works great as it is. Layout and font are easy on the eye and it's easy to just fire up and play without any confusion.

I've always considered this type of game as a solo game anyway so I would see multi-player functions as bloatware (just take it in turns to play) - although a few sound effects in moderation would add something to the game.

Cracking effort!!
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

That's a real nice emulator you have developed there, I don't think I have come across this one before (Book Marked :) )

Thanks for linking/adding the game to it.
vicist wrote:Looks and works great as it is. Layout and font are easy on the eye and it's easy to just fire up and play without any confusion.

I've always considered this type of game as a solo game anyway so I would see multi-player functions as bloatware (just take it in turns to play) - although a few sound effects in moderation would add something to the game.

Cracking effort!!
Thanks for the kind words Vicist much appreciated.

And yes your right it does need some sound FX which I have on my todo list, though I've never done any before so I need to have a good read and see what I can come up with.

Probably "Dice Throw" / "Invalid Selection" / "Succesful Score " or something along those lines.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Uploaded version 0.90 - Link is a bottom of the first post in this thread.

I have also amended a few things on the earlier instructions post including my new best score of 306 :)

Added some sound FX for:

A) Holding Dice
b) Throwing Dice
c) Invalid Category selection

I do want to add a 4th and final one for a successful score but I don't have enough free RAM left :roll:

I shall see what I can do about that over the next couple of days.

As I have been chopping/changing code to recover some RAM for the sound FX, there's always a chance I have broken something (hopefully not).

Also note some of the messages have changed as part of freeing up RAM, hopefully they haven't become too cryptic.

On Monday I shall Make a entry on the "New releases for 2013" thread and call time on this project.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

KingTrode wrote:[...] it does need some sound FX [...] Probably "Dice Throw" / "Invalid Selection" / "Succesful Score " or something along those lines.
Oh, I thought you'd add some speech synthesis if you were going to use expanded memory.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Mike wrote:
KingTrode wrote:[...] it does need some sound FX [...] Probably "Dice Throw" / "Invalid Selection" / "Succesful Score " or something along those lines.
Oh, I thought you'd add some speech synthesis if you were going to use expanded memory.
I was referring to the bog standard Unexpanded version not the 8k+ version.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

I have submitted this to the "Releases of 2013" thread.

Many thanks all for testing / feedback

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim