Remake of Killer Comet

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

adric22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Remake of Killer Comet

Post by adric22 »

I spent about 3 hours and re-made this BASIC game from my childhood. I decided to keep it on an unexpanded VIC-20 and keep it in BASIC to see if I could do better than the original programmer.

As soon as I can find some place to post the binary file, I'll post a link. I did some neat things in this version. For the "missle" I actually used a flat line, but since the VIC-20 actually has 8 flat lines in the PETSCII characters at all different positions, my missile is a smooth scrolling line that would almost fool you that I'm using a sprite and not character graphics.

The other thing I did was made the comet smaller so it is harder to hit, but it still requires several hits. After each hit it changes to a different PETSCII character. On the last hit it explodes and takes you to a screen telling you that you've won. Conversely, if you lose and the comet hits the earth then you'll see a screen telling you that earth was destroyed.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Great idea! This would be a good challenge for all members: reinterpreting Killer Comet!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Cool! I really want to try it out.

Now, go do the same with Tank Vs UFO! :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3