Best and Worst stock controllers

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Best and Worst stock controllers

Post by Jeff-20 »

I had an interesting discussion about the controllers that came with their game consoles. Since many of us own multiple systems, I wanted to ask here.

Ignoring third-party and aftermarket items, what do you think were the best and worst STOCK system controllers? Here are my choices.

BEST: Nintendo Gamecube (so ergonomic!)

The runner ups would be: Sega Genesis (perfect for adult hands) and Bally Astrocade (underrated, highly innovative controller). I also feel like the 2600 joystick was a pretty good transition for arcade goers, but nostalgia may be motivating me.

The worst is more difficult because there were many bad controllers in the infancy of video games. Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari 5200 (a whole generation of AWFUL controllers which I suspect were highly influential in the 1983 crash of the industry!), even the 7800 had really bad joysticks. But the biggest loser is...

WORST: Nintendo 64 (not only ugly, but that analog stick is so misplaced!)
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Best: 360. Fits my hands perfectly.
Worst: Dreamcast. So close, but what a mess.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I love the Dreamcast pad; especially the VMU. I know some people find the analogue and the D-pad a bit slippery, but I've never found it to be a problem. One of the really great things about the DC pad is that there is an abundance of new old stock and you can get them really cheaply.

Some of the Sega Saturn controllers are also very good; in particular, the 3D analogue controller (practically a Dreamcast prototype with the added benefit of a better D-pad) and the mark II gamepad which is a bit lighter in the hand than the 3D one.

I have to agree that the GameCube pad is the best though. Handles like a dream.

I recently read that there are two different Atari joysticks. One is the original that was made in Sunnyvale and the other is a later cost-reduced version. The only one I've ever experienced is the cheap one, which probably explains why I've always felt dissatisfied with the official Atari joystick.

Has anyone experienced both joysticks and, if so, is the Sunnyvale any better?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Best: Gamecube, 360, N64 (sorry Jeff!)

Worst: Intellivision, Jaguar, PS2 (I hate the dual shock)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Best : Atari 2600, N64 once you play Goldeneye, Gamecube, PS3

Worst : Intellivision, Colecovision, Atari Super Joystick, Sega Megadrive, Atari Jaguar
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

My choices:

Worst:
Nintendo 64, too big, too busy, and just too clumsy!
Xbox (all), too big.
Atari 5200, they're broken more than they work.
Atari 7800, just no good.
Intellivision, worthless.

Best:
Playstation (1 - 3), just the right size and just keep getting better with each system.
Atari 2600, classic!
Sega genesis, who would need more than 6 buttons?
Nintendo & Super Nintendo, another classic.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

I've never understood why so many folks rate the Jaguar controller as one of the worst. From the moment I first tried one, I thought it had a very natural, excellent feel and heft to it.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

The Atari 2600 joysticks are very good all considered. Ergonomics could have been better of course, but as a "first attempt" they're also not so bad. I suppose they thought people were going to hold them on the table, while almost nobody ever did. However, most of all they are very reliable and they seem to last forever.

The controller of the Vectrex was the best of all times IMO. Almost true arcade feeling, with four arcade-type fire buttons, and the stick has both dynamic as well as discrete (on/off) action. Extremely advanced for its age.

The Colecovision controllers were really bad IMO. The fire buttons have fragile supports that can easily break (and the ergonomics of the two fire buttons could have been made MUCH better at almost no cost if they only wanted to) and the stick is noisy, with that clacky coil inside that gives a very uncomfortable feedback. The positive side is that they have a receptacle to store them in top of the console.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

On the subject of the worst controllers, the official Master System controller is probably one of the biggest candidates. The D-Pad is made of rubber which makes it very uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. The SMS forums are full of threads that discuss third party alternatives or even modding NES controllers to work with the Master System.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

CBR125R wrote:I've never understood why so many folks rate the Jaguar controller as one of the worst. From the moment I first tried one, I thought it had a very natural, excellent feel and heft to it.
Actually I forget to put another in my "worst" list... the original Xbox controller. Like the Jaguar controller to me, far too big and unwieldy to use properly, it doesn't fit into my hands and make me caress it. Unlike the 360 pad which is miles better. That's partly why. And the bizarre need to put a keypad on it like the 5200 joystick had.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I, too, disagree with the popular opinion on some of these "bad" controllers. I like the Jaguar and Dreamcast controllers! They're not the best, but I like them.

The Vectrex is a lovely console, but I feel like the stick is too small and the buttons are too "in line".

I think the native controller defines the personality of the system. The original, pre-analogue Playstation controllers were just awful. A segmented group of direction buttons and four face buttons seems so out of line with the fighting games of that era. I guess they were being progressive for the future 3D trends. But most people will only remember the dual shock. Smart move by Sony.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

For those of you who put Colecovision on your list, please consider this modded console (currently on ebay)... mod includes AV outputs, a pause button, serious joysticks, straightened cords, etc.

If I enjoyed Colecovision games more, I would actually consider it, but I have enough games. I'm sure the controllers are still a little awkward to hold, but I like the way it improves the function and stays pretty loyal to the original style.
tetrinet
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by tetrinet »

English Invader wrote:On the subject of the worst controllers, the official Master System controller is probably one of the biggest candidates. The D-Pad is made of rubber which makes it very uncomfortable to use for long periods of time. The SMS forums are full of threads that discuss third party alternatives or even modding NES controllers to work with the Master System.
I don't mind the SMS pad. I use it on Atari 2600, VIC-20, C64, Amiga and SMS.

I love arcade joysticks but most other joysticks are garbage.
Last edited by tetrinet on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavPow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DavPow »

For me,

Best:
PlayStation (1,2,3) (PERFECT for 3D games, D-Pad is far from the best)
Super Nintendo (Best controller for 2D games)
Dreamcast (Awesome controller, would be my favorite if it had a second analog stick)
Genesis (great D-Pad, works well)
Nintendo 64 (Fits well in my hands)

I have never owned or used any controllers that I thought were bad (except for 3rd party controllers).
**** DAVPOW ****
3583 BYTES FREE
READY.
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

The TRS-80 Color Computer joystick sold at Radio Shack was pretty terrible; it was an analog stick, which should have been a good thing, but it was really lightweight and felt fragile, and when you let go of the joystick, it didn't have any springs to push it back to the neutral position. Funny that no one has mentioned it so far.