Monochrome monitor users?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Monochrome monitor users?

Post by dano »

I am working on a program (a non-game) and was thinking about using color to separate text in different areas on the screen. I realized that this wouldn't work so well on a monochrome monitor, but I don't know if there's anybody out there actually using one. I have a neat green CRT monitor that I had used with the Vic in the past every now and then, but I don't have it set up now and can't see using mono much in the future. Just wondering if anyone out there would have any issues with this before I go any further on my program.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Jeff himself is colorblind so I'm sure he would have problems using your program.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
dano
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by dano »

I didn't think of that (or know that about Jeff), I knew someone in highschool that was colorblind and couldn't tell greens from blues, I'm not sure if that is common or just specific to his case. Anyway, I'll try not to go too crazy on colors on this program, and I was thinking maybe inverse video would be an options instead of a color change. My goal is to have two rows used for text entry and have them differentiated from the rest of the screen, without using up any more of my screen space drawing boarders. The program will still work either way (unless the background and the foreground look the same in monochrome), so I'll just start by making something that actually works, then I can tweak the colors and things from there.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It's hereditary monochromacy (black, white gray). Makes for interesting dinner conversation, but doesn't really limit me much in life.

An interesting point: color vision is believed to have co-evolved between animals and fruit-bearing plants to assure fruit would be consumed only when ripe (to the benefit of both the animal and plant). The only reason the color-blind human remained in the gene pool is because each tribe still benefited from having a good hunter for protein. This is why the gene is almost always manifested in the male to consolidate hunting traits in a small subgroup within the society.

All predator animals have B&W vision because it gives a huge advantage in the hunt. Camouflage means nothing to me. Better night vision too. So, a million years ago, I'd probably be a hunter relying on you color-seers so I don't eat poisonous plants and offering my hunting prowess in return. You'd want at least one or two guys like me in your tribe. :D

It's all very flattering and a little heroic when I think of it this way. Not really a deficiency but a specialization.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Well, while Jeff's hunting dinos for us colour-seers and apple eaters, I prefer a monochrome green monitor in my setup:
The picture doesn't make justice of the perfect crisp image I get with it - pixels are well defined, perfectly round tiny spots on the screen.

So I'd rather have text separated by RVS ON / OFF than any colour :P .
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Jeff-20 wrote:All predator animals have B&W vision because it gives a huge advantage in the hunt. Camouflage means nothing to me. Better night vision too. So, a million years ago, I'd probably be a hunter relying on you color-seers so I don't eat poisonous plants and offering my hunting prowess in return. You'd want at least one or two guys like me in your tribe. :D
Interesting! I never knew about that.

This would mean that my red-geen color-blindness is just a half-assed middle road between the two extremes; I see all colors, but reds and greens (and to some extent, blues) tend to blur together so that I for example can't see a red fruit in a green tree until I'm very close. Still, I don't have improved night vision :(
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
RJBowman
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by RJBowman »

I remember that on my old C-64, the colors showed up as different shades on the green monitor, so if you selected the colors carefully, the varying shades could replace the colors as separators in the monochrome format. I have never used a VIC20 on a green monitor, so I don't know how well it would work with the VIC's pallete.