Merry Christmas from Mike and Orion! Here's a gift for you.

Discuss anything related to the VIC
orion70
VICtalian

Merry Christmas from Mike and Orion! Here's a gift for you.

Post by orion70 »

The VIC-20 Bible Series II: Pentateuch

Following the success of our previous Easter release, we present you the first books of the Old Testament, the Jewish Torah, in a *.d81 disk image (download), where you will find the whole text incredibly compressed by Mike and presented in browsable books in full 40-column screens, completed by graphic depictions of book covers, and of the main episodes in the first steps of this crazy world.

The program was realized using the Minigrafik tools for handling text output and graphics, and once again demonstrates the power of Mike's tools.

To launch the program, extract PENTATEUCH.ZIP in the VICE main folder, and double-click the CMD file enclosed.

You can use the program d81trans (link) to transfer the *.d81 file to an actual 3 1/2" disk for use on a 1581.

We hope you will find it useful, fun, and nice to see.
HAVE YOURSELF A HAPPY (from Mike) HAPPY (from Orion) CHRISTMAS AND A JOYFUL 2011!

Mike and Orion70

(mod: links to pentateuch.zip and d81trans.prg added)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Woody Allen wrote:Hmmm. I had counted on a little more support.
My Apology - in Side Effects, 1980
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Sorry bloke. I haven't been around much but I spotted this yesterday. I haven't had a chance to look around it yet but I'm sure it's up to your's and Mike's usual high standard. :) Do you think you'll do another Easter release this year coming and do you intend to do the whole Bible? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:) Why not! The whole Bible in a VIC... You wouldn't believe that, right? But this is stuff for believers... :P
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

This is really impressive!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

wow a very big work !

my compliments.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

A Happy New Year to you all! :)

It's nice to see this second part of the VIC Bible series is also being appreciated by our Denial fellows. :D

Orion70 and I had planned this follow-up to the Evangelists already in June last year while I visited North Italy. At the end of November I wrote the "launch" PM - and then was faced with a slight "problem" directly thereafter - all text combined from the first five books, uncompressed, needed ~860 KB. :shock: Slightly more than a 3 1/2 inch disk for the 1581 can store.

One of the edge conditions in writing this software was that in any case it should be possible to run this on "standard" hardware, i.e. a VIC-20, +24 K RAM expansion and a 1581 is the minimum configuration. Otherwise we could have quite as well just prepared all text (i.e. the entire Bible!) for a subdirectory on a SD card, which still would have worked for users of a SD2IEC (and uIEC, FE3, etc.) but excluding those without newer storage solutions. I even thought about using a 1 MB HD 5 1/4 format with a SFD 1001 or the like, for this installation. ;)

Short having a streaming LZW codec available in the depths of my HD, I reused a simpler compression scheme tailored to text data I had written around '94, on the Acorn Archimedes. It uses "long" 8-bit bytes for uncompressed, and "short" 5-bit bytes for compressed characters. With this algorithm, most texts compress by ~30%, which was sufficient in this case.

Alessandro did his part by again selecting some episodes with accompanying scenes, and we got everything nicely packaged together in a timely manner before Christmas. :)

Greetings,

Michael
berskyboy
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Merry Christmas from Mike and Orion! Here's a gift for you.

Post by berskyboy »

HAPPY EASTER!!

Hi Mike amazing work!

I have been reading the Bible on all my vintage machines. I have a NeXT Station (Black pizza box) that installed the Bible via the Librarian feature, iMac G4, G4Cube, G3, Macintosh SE, etc and read all on different programs ...

... I have created a few Raspberry Pi projects for some machines I don't own, like Apple ][, Amiga 500, etc. I just recently got a Pi Zero 2W and a very cute 3D case for it on ETSY to celebrate the VIC-20. I found your post and was like WOW, awesome I can start reading the Bible here!

I wanted to ask, if you could show me, which tools you used to complete the Whole Bible project. (If its were possible). Since it will live on a microSD card on a Raspberry Pi Zero I won't have the standard limitations of a real machine, but even so, I suppose you could break up the code into the logical sections (Law, History, Poetry, Prophecy, NT).

If not I will relish the Torah, Pentatude read and the good work you have done!

thanks,
Mark

**UPDATE**

I just found this post and download the NT Gospels

"Bible Series I and II reviewed - and possible problem"

So my question about is getting answered as I look at the VIC-20 Denial Blogs/Posts. Are there any more "goodies" around? Thanks so much for your effort, this is truly magical to have God's word in 8bit!

**UPDATE 2***
I just read Genesis 1 on my Raspberry Pi Zero 2W running VICE and yep it was amazing. 8-bit Bible time!!! thanks Mike!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi, Mark,
berskyboy wrote:[...] which tools [did you use] to complete the Whole Bible project[?] [...] Are there any more "goodies" around?
Alessandro and I took the books/chapters from the text body of the King James Bible, as provided by Project Gutenberg in raw text form ("bible13.txt", to be exact). From there, we separated the books into chapters with a self-written program in C that also reformated the verses into single lines and stripped off the leading book and chapter numbers (so only the leading verse number would remain).

For the VIC-20, I devised a software 40 column scheme to display the text, which I derived from a text display routine I originally had written one year earlier, for MINIPAINT. Alessandro in turn chose accompanying pictures and introductory verses for the main program to give readers inspiration and starting points to look into.

We chose 3 1/2" disk(image)s as storage media as the application was supposed to be run on hardware that already had been available back-in-those-days. It would have been possible to put the entire Bible within a directory structure of a SD card, but that would have excluded people without access to those newer storage solutions.

The project was finished before SD2IEC drives got into widespread use, and unfortunately we could not foresee that one feature we used to keep the main directory short (namely, those CBM partitions) had not been implemented in the sd2iec firmware (and to today, still is not). Oh, well ...

Greetings,

Michael
berskyboy
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by berskyboy »

I just wanted to post how I'm using your Bible Software. I bought a Raspberry Pi Zero 2W and am emulating VIC-20 with RetroPi, and I bought a case from ETSY. (such a great job they did). It's very cool, and I've read already 3 Chapters of Genesis. It's very very cool. Thanks so much for making the Bible available on the VIC-20. I always wanted one of these machines as a kid, even the Amiga.
IMG_9997.jpeg
IMG_9996.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg
IMG_0001.jpeg