no sound!

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

komodorecomrade
Vic 20 Newbie

no sound!

Post by komodorecomrade »

no sound can be heard from my tv from my vic.

its a non multisystem pal tv on a ntsc vic (i twiddled with the video sync screw on the back of the tv till i got a steady pic)

i tried the vic with a real multisystem TV which does NTSC, but no sound from their either. could the cable be at fault?

if you remove the rf modulator,how do you connect the cable to the AV on the TV?

also is the lid on the shielding around the VIC chip important? i removed it to improve cooling.
thanks
K
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

IIRC, NTSC and PAL systems modulates (or whatever the correct term is) sound with different frequencies, so your PAL TV isn't able to demodulate the sound. It's easy enough to build a cable with composite video on one RCA plug and sound on another. You'll get a much sharper picture that way too.

VIC 20 monitor pinout is here

Video high (or low? I use the same cable for both my VIC and my C64, which means I must use video low, so I guess that works too) goes to the tip of one RCA plug, ground to the ring; audio goes to the tip of the other RCA plug, ground to the ring.

Doesn't the VIC chip shield act as a heat sink for the chip? It does on other Commodores. If so, removing it won't improve cooling, quite the opposite.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Doesn't the VIC chip shield act as a heat sink for the chip?
AFAIK, it doesn't act like a heat sink because it does not come in contact with the chip.

it doesn't have those little metal fingers that protrude down to actually touch the chip

chris
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Metal shield is not for heat but for to prevent RFI (radio frequency interference).

It should be left in place and operated as it was designed.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

6502dude wrote:Metal shield is not for heat but for to prevent RFI (radio frequency interference).
In some C= computers they do double duty as heat sinks.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.