High Score Page

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I agree with you. Tables will probably give the best look, but I don't know if it will be as easy to edit and keep neat with so many users editing it.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

That's a valid concern. It seems to me that the high score table shouldn't actually be part of the Wiki but rather a stand-alone webpage here at Denial that could be linked to from the Wiki. It shouldn't be overly burdensome to maintain and if that was a concern, I'm sure you'd have no trouble finding someone to whom you could delegate the task. If you're so inclined I can put something decent looking (hopefully) after I've had my tea. Could even include screenshots were people to provide them...
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Personally, I prefer the idea of a separate webpage too. It can be linked from the main page. A fair example of inputting the data from the end users perspective would be the Vic 20 registration page. You just enter the details required and the page places it in the table for you... :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Interesting idea... an honor system is required. I am a golfer, so I can respect an honor system.

It should be a custom app -- with a required digital photo of the high score played on a real VIC 20. This will at least slow down any fake mock-ups that can be done with emulators -- or those that decide to slowdown the emulator by 50% - 90%, so they can "Go Left" and run up the score. :D
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

You totally missed my jupiter lander high score with photographic evidence.

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... ter+lander

BTW, maybe you should do PAL vs NTSC high scores as PAL is normally faster.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

If this were the 80s, I might be concerned, but at this age, I don't expect anyone to lie about scores. I, personally, don't feel a need for screen shots, but I guess an optional footnote after a score could link to an offsite pic. That is, if the player feels proud to share such a thing.

I just wanted a clean and simple board. We're all adults, so I trust everyone to update without vandalism or lies or screwing up the format. I didn't expect it to be used so often. Few people own a VIC. Even fewer actively play games and keep high scores.
matsondawson wrote:You totally missed my jupiter lander high score with photographic evidence.

BTW, maybe you should do PAL vs NTSC high scores as PAL is normally faster.
Feel free to update. The nice thing about the wiki is that any member can update at any time. This is not the general public. It's just us friends. :D

You could specify PAL if you think it matters. Boray's Clown high is noted as the paddle version. That can be at the players discretion.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

When I brought up screenshots I wasn't really thinking about being able to verify submissions. I was just thinking it would make the page more visually appealing. I must admit that I find screenshots intriguing (no idea why). That's why I follow the games competition threads at Lemon so intensely even though I rarely participate. I like looking at the screenshots. :oops:
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

oooh... game comps sounds fun. I don't visit Lemon, so I missed that. We should have em here! And dude, still pushing that goat thing? Ewwwww! Please don't make it your avatar!
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:oooh... game comps sounds fun. I don't visit Lemon, so I missed that. We should have em here!
I don't see why not. Have a look at this if you're curious how it works.
And dude, still pushing that goat thing?
Muzzle the schäferhund.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I really excited about this score board. Fast updating makes me want to play games more. I can't wait until we have top 5 for a good number of games.
oracle_jedi
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by oracle_jedi »

How do we log in? Tried my id for the Denial forum:

"Login error: You have not specified a valid user name. "

I don't see how I create a new id for the high-score wiki. clicking "create account" just prompts me to log in again.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I reviewed MediaWiki's documentation on inserting tables, and decided to try my hand at its notation to make the High Scores page more readable and manageable.

I hope the result appeases this tough crowd. :P

And I hope to see more games and scores -- from different players. I don't know about you, but I find Boray's name littered throughout this list a bit irritating. It's not unlike playing my nephews on my PS3's Madden or Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe games ... :wink:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I like the layout. We'll see how easy it is to maintain.

As for the log-in problem, the log-in should be just the same as your forum log-in. Log, log, log.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I like the layout. We'll see how easy it is to maintain
Yes it seems very clear...

Time to set a new hi-score now :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.