Tac-Scan by Sega

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Mayhem wrote:The point is, as a reproduction release, it's being created as close to what it would have been back in 1983. That would have been on cartridge. Hence the need for "donor" cartridges...
Fair enough.
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by PingvinBlueJeans »

A disk release seems impractical no matter what angle you look at if from. Regardless of all other factors, I can't imagine who would buy such a thing. That would've seemed logical back in the 80's, but there are better ways of distributing the game nowadays.

As far as a digital download is concerned, I can justify charging money for physical copies of the game because I'm producing them myself, but the game program itself is not really mine to sell and reap profit from. As I already stated, the game will be added to new versions of the Mega-Cart (if the guys who make the damn things ever bother to contact me) and I will release the ROM image to the public for play via emulators at some point in the future.

Everyone who wishes will be able to play the game, but it's only fair that those who support the community (by buying my cartridges or the Mega-Cart) should get to play it first.
-PBJ-
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I can see both perspectives. A new cart is awesome, and I want one!
I think some are worried because Sega carts don't seem very plentiful. There are no common Sega games for the VIC (even if they are obviously less valuable than this new Tac Scan). So, let's say, if I were asking for spare Adventurevision carts to reappropriate, I would expect someone to make suggestions like that to spare carts. I even hope that most of the MegaCarts came from Avenger and not Rally X. :lol:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Jeff-20 wrote: I think some are worried because Sega carts don't seem very plentiful. There are no common Sega games for the VIC (even if they are obviously less valuable than this new Tac Scan).
Yeah I can understand that. I wish there was another way, but there really isn't. As it is, we're lucky that (most of) the Sega cartridges can be used. Without that option, I don't know what I'd do. At the very least I'd need to have boards made, and that would be quite expensive.
-PBJ-
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

PingvinBlueJeans wrote:Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the programmer of this game did tell me that he also completed a VIC-20 port of Sub-Scan (aka Deep Scan) that was also not released. Sadly, he did not manage to keep a copy, so that one is probably lost forever.

I suspect there were many more VIC-20 titles that suffered this fate due to the computer's relatively quick death upon the arrival of the C64.
Someone on this forum (Robertbe I think) met a woman a few years ago who used to work for Imagic and said she had an unreleased copy of a cartridge game. I think he gave here a link to Denial but we never heard from her :? .
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

PingvinBlueJeans wrote:
English Invader wrote:Is there any reason why this game couldn't be released on floppy disk?
How about on cassette tape? Sorry man, not happening.

This a game programmed by an American programmer and produced by an American developer/publisher. In the U.S. we play VIC-20 games on cartridge, not on disk or tape. I've never even seen a VIC-20 game on floppy disk, and I can't imagine who would drag out a 1541 to play this game. I'd have to believe there was significant interest in such a thing to even begin to think about producing it. I hardly think it'd be worth the time and effort required.
I think almost everyone who owns a VIC-20 these days (i.e. collectors) has a 1541 or compatible hooked up to it. I'm in Canada and I think 1541s are more common than VICs (since they were popular with the C64).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've even estimated a 7:1 ratio in the past based on my thrift shopping. Working vics are rare and precious. A new 1541 is always around the corner. C64 was very popular here.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

ral-clan wrote:I think almost everyone who owns a VIC-20 these days (i.e. collectors) has a 1541 or compatible hooked up to it. I'm in Canada and I think 1541s are more common than VICs (since they were popular with the C64).
I'm quite aware of the fact that 1541 disk drives are dirt common, but that doesn't make it any more sensible to release the game on disk format (for the various reasons already stated).
-PBJ-
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

My vintage computing budget doesn't allow me to buy either this game or a Megacart (especially since I paid a small fortune for my 1541 Ultimate), but if you eventually release a ROM image I can always put it on an SD card and load it into the correct memory position on my VIC with memory expansion plugged in. That's good enough for me.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PingvinBlueJeans wrote:...and I will release the ROM image to the public for play via emulators at some point in the future.

Everyone who wishes will be able to play the game, but it's only fair that those who support the community (by buying my cartridges or the Mega-Cart) should get to play it first.
A cartridge file is enough for me. If you think I support the community (by developing PRG Starter for example), then you can send it to me when you see fit: :)

(I will keep it for myself)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

Just an update.

I apologize to anyone who had hoped to purchase a copy of this game. It was not my intent to disappoint anyone, but I was not able to attend the CGE for various reasons outside my control. I am still planning on offering this game for sale and hope to release it by this year's end. More info soon as production continues...
-PBJ-
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Tac-Scan by Sega

Post by GreyGhost »

Any one who wrote a program for or about the Vic20 and linked it to this web site has supported the community. The idea that you have to rip other carts apart to create this cart is ridiculous. If you take an old motorcycle and piece it together from other motorcycles from this year and that year, all you really have is an old piece of junk, not an original. And definitely not worth the money of an original.

Have you ever thought about injection molds? At least then you wouldn't destroy anything original.
PingvinBlueJeans wrote:This release will be very limited and the cost will be high, due to the difficulty in making faithful reproductions of this nature.
Wow, All I see here is a chance for you to make a profit off of something that isn't even your work. I understand that reproducing something costs money, but how much were you planning on charging for this thing? I would assume just the cost of the reproduction, right?
PingvinBlueJeans wrote:
English Invader wrote:Is there any reason why this game couldn't be released on floppy disk?
How about on cassette tape? Sorry man, not happening.

This a game programmed by an American programmer and produced by an American developer/publisher. In the U.S. we play VIC-20 games on cartridge, not on disk or tape. I've never even seen a VIC-20 game on floppy disk, and I can't imagine who would drag out a 1541 to play this game. I'd have to believe there was significant interest in such a thing to even begin to think about producing it. I hardly think it'd be worth the time and effort required.
The cost is still there. Why not release it in that form? You still have to produce a box, the instructions still need printing. Seems less time and effort if you ask me.

I'm sorry, I know some of you guys will get angry at this, but this is how I feel about it.
Rob
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

If you know anything about the Vectrex shell production, then you'll know the process of injection moulding etc, is not cheap. This is far the cheaper option for such a limited run, and when this is the first ever repro Vic20 cart release in the community... it's fine for the Vectrex and the 2600/7800 for example, because new games are fully part of the scene now and the demand for shells is there, instead of ripping apart old games (not that there aren't plenty of those either). Plus the sales will be higher.

Do you know how much it costs (privately) to make good quality boxes too? Go ask Marc Oberhauser, and then even he can't make certain types, such as the one for the upcoming release of Tempest 5200. I imagine making the boxes is going to be a substantial part of the price.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
PingvinBlueJeans
Vic 20 Drifter

GreyGhost, most of your comments are either completely ridiculous or have already been covered. Having cartridge shells and boards made would cost a fortune, and I am NOT releasing the game on floppy disk.

You won't need to worry about the price, since you won't be getting one. I'm the one with my time and money invested in this project. When you have a game to release, you can decide how it gets sold and for how much. Every time someone has something to release, some random clown like you pops up and starts complaining. People just kill me.

I haven't decided on the price yet, but you've got me thinking...

:idea:

Maybe I shouldn't sell them at a fixed price at all? Maybe I should just throw them up on eBay one at a time and let the free market decide what they're worth? Then you guys can go crazy bidding against random collectors from Norway and Sweden who will gladly pay $85-$100+ for a copy. What do you guys think? Would that work better for everyone?
-PBJ-
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

PingvinBlueJeans wrote:Then you guys can go crazy bidding against random collectors from Norway and Sweden who will gladly pay $85-$100+ for a copy. What do you guys think? Would that work better for everyone?
For a pirated copy of an unfinished game? Well, good luck!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)