Xpander-3 for VIC-20 Interest?

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

How would RAM impact on cost?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Put me down for one also. Do you have any idea what the price will be?
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Yes, a new expansion slot for VIC would be nice to have. I have Mega-Cart, but I also have VIC RAM expanders and game cartridges that I'd like to be able to mount simultaneously. I would certainly purchase one when it becomes available, thanks.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

~$30.00
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Can I bug you Jim and ask will it have simple switches sobthat each slot can just be switched on and off or will it all be through DIP switches? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Can I bug you Jim and ask will it have simple switches sobthat each slot can just be switched on and off or will it all be through DIP switches? :)
For maximum flexibility and ease of use, I specify easy to control "piano hinge" switches.

Jim
swasti
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by swasti »

hello brian,

if possible add me also for one expander.
i own a megacart and a fe3.

swasti
zutman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by zutman »

I'd also like to have one, especially if this completely switchable. So yes, please also add me to the list.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Wow, this item would be my biggest wish while developing FE3 Hardware!!

Not only for using more than one cartridge but for measurement purposes this would be very important.

Will this be available for C16 / plus/4 also next time? We want make a FE3-plus/4 and so this would be helpful for me.
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

Jim,

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I would definitely buy one as well. :)

Thanks!

Heather
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

OK, I'm starting the sourcing of parts for the design.

Jim
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

brain wrote:The VIC draws no more than than the C64 (less, in most cases), and they use the same power supply.

Jim
Not always true.

Most VICs made and sold after january 1983 do use a similar power supply as the 64 (sometimes the same part number), not (always) so for those which were made before that.

However, there is no equivalent to the 2 prong PSU in the C64 world.

Many early VIC-20s came with a power supply that, altough uses a similar connector as the 64's, is rated for much less total power. These can be easily identified as they are rated for 2.5VA instead of 9VA on the 9Vac output. These are part no. 251052-03.

Using a power supply like that on a C64 will usually result in damage to the 64.

Still, even with a flimsier power supply like that, there is ample amount of extra power available. The VIC does draw less power than a 64 at about 900mA and the 251052-03 is rated for 7.5W (5v @ up to 1.5A) on the regulated 5Vdc output, leaving up to 600mA before reaching the rated limit.
Be normal.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

eslapion wrote:Many early VIC-20s came with a power supply that, altough uses a similar connector as the 64's, is rated for much less total power. These can be easily identified as they are rated for 2.5VA instead of 9VA on the 9Vac output. These are part no. 251052-03.
On Saturday, when visiting C= dealer, Jim Scabery, in Portland, Oregon, I bought a two-prong VIC-20 p.s., part #902502-02, and the label on it read, "OUTPUT: 10 VAC 30VA". That was in a larger-than-usual plastic casing held by 4 Phillips screws in the bottom. I also bought a large, two-pronged, metal-cased, non-vented VIC-20 p.s. from him -- part #1001038-02 with a label that read, "OUTPUT AC 11V 38VA".

Writing from Seattle, Washington right now,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 24-25 Commodore Vegas Expo v6 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Just pinging this thread, Jim... I read about your new position / transition over the summer, congratulations -- I hope that is working out best for you! :)

I am most interested in both the VIC version of the Xpander-3 and I saw a C= keyboard wedge project, too, perhaps? If that's anything like KeyRAH (sp?), that would be most excellent.

Thanks.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
brain
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by brain »

rhurst wrote:Just pinging this thread, Jim... I read about your new position / transition over the summer, congratulations -- I hope that is working out best for you! :)

I am most interested in both the VIC version of the Xpander-3 and I saw a C= keyboard wedge project, too, perhaps? If that's anything like KeyRAH (sp?), that would be most excellent.

Thanks.
Thanks. It has taken a bit of a toll on my design activities, but I'm getting settled in now.

To that end, I am working on the design of this unit. As many know, the Xpander-3 has a bank of switches to connect various signals to each port.

I am looking that the pinout for the VIC expansion port, and I see:

IO2
IO3
BLK1
BLK2
BLK3
BLK5
RAM1
RAM2
RAM3

and then I would need 2 Vcc switches to handle turning a cart off:

VCC
VCC

Well, that's 11 switches. My questions:

Are all lines needed?
If not, which are unneeded?
Are there other lines (IRQ/NMI/RESET/etc.) that should be added?

The last question might seem counterintuitive, but it is actually easier for me to expand the number of switches to 16 than it is to stay at 11 (or 12).

Why?

Well, I bought 1000 DIP switches for my Xpander-3 design (I now buy some parts in bulk directly from the manufacturers, but they only do large lots. So, if I have 16 signals to deal with, I can simply use 2 8-position DIP switch sets.

But, if 16 is not needed, then there is less reason to do this.

Also, I need to know the maximum port to port distance I need to figure on. So, Who has the tallest (measured vertically when the cart is inserted into the VIC) cartridge?

Jim