Jim Scabery's close-out Commodore/Amiga books, VIC-20 goods

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Jim Scabery's close-out Commodore/Amiga books, VIC-20 goods

Post by RobertBe »

Jim Scabery, Portland, Oregon's last Commodore dealer, is having a close-out on Commodore/Amiga books and VIC-20 software. To see the Commodore/Amiga book list, prices, and contact information, go to

http://retro-link.com/smf/index.php?top ... 52#msg1852

To see the VIC-20 software list, prices, and contact information, go to

http://retro-link.com/smf/index.php?top ... 53#msg1853

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
July 24-25 Commodore Vegas Expo 2010 -
http://www.commodore.ca/forum
and click on ComVEX
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

Why post a link in this forum to your post in another forum? Pushing traffic to another forum is generally frowned upon, not just here but anywhere. :roll:
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

And why doesn't this Jim Scabery do his own dirty work?
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I think it's nice from Robert to share this information here. No need to be harsh...
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Schlowski wrote:I think it's nice from Robert to share this information here. No need to be harsh...
You're probably right. Sorry.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

It wouldve been easier for all to just copy and paste the short list. Even easier to post than links. If you want denial members to join your forum, I don't mind if you put another link in your signature like quirk did.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Is the problem that he linked to my forum, or that he chose to use links to these lists in his post? I've scanned the forums, and it appears that using links (rather than reproducing the same information over again) tends to be the way most people prefer to share information here.

There is certainly no indication that he (nor myself) are looking for people to join the forum, as the lists are clearly visible by non-registered members, so there's certainly no pressure to join. I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from here, daniels. Please elaborate.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from here, daniels. Please elaborate.
What are you talking about? I wasn't the one with a problem, Paul. I was responding to amramsey's comment. I agreed with him that the list was short enough to paste, so one could take a quick glance at it with out clicking a link.

Read my post. I said it's fine for you guys to link your site. As I said before, I wish it all the best.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

PaulQ wrote: I'm trying to figure out where you're coming from here, daniels. Please elaborate.
Rather than be inflammatory why not show a bit more respect to people when you make your point. Jeff is fine Mr. Daniels is fine, daniels is deragatory...quirk.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

I stand by my comment. Pushing traffic away from a forum is rude, IMHO. Whether it is pushing it to another forum, or someone making a very small post linking to their own blog post somewhere in order to get more traffic for themselves (not that I've ever seen that here).

I looked through the Denial FAQ linked at the top there, and it doesn't have anything saying that this type of linking is frowned upon though, so perhaps I've overstated myself with regards to Denial when I said that linking to another forum is 'generally frowned upon, not just here but anywhere'. I am part of several other forums where that type of link would at the very least be grounds for a warning.

Anyhow, I appreciate Robert's posts here and elsewhere, bringing communities together by spreading information between them. I discover many interesting things from his posts. In this case though, I felt it was bad form to post a link to another forum when the text could have been posted here instead. In particular, the VIC-20 list obviously has a much greater number of people here who would be interested in it compared to the handful of people at Retro-link.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Jeff-20 wrote: What are you talking about? I wasn't the one with a problem, Paul. I was responding to amramsey's comment. I agreed with him that the list was short enough to paste, so one could take a quick glance at it with out clicking a link.
While your comment may have been a reply to amramsey's comment, it was clearly directed at Robert. I found the overall reaction to his postings of the links a bit much. The whole basis of the concept of HTML is that links can be provided so that something doesn't need to be repeated more than once. What really is the point in duplicating the same thing in many different forums, when you can do what HTML was really made for, and simply drop a link?
Vic20-Ian wrote:Rather than be inflammatory why not show a bit more respect to people when you make your point. Jeff is fine Mr. Daniels is fine, daniels is deragatory...quirk.
I'm so glad you noticed, ian. I treat others with the exact same level of respect as they do to me. See if you can catch it this time:
Jeff-20 wrote:It wouldve been easier for all to just copy and paste the short list. Even easier to post than links. If you want denial members to join your forum, I don't mind if you put another link in your signature like quirk did.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Paul, if you chose to be offended by "reaction" which was to say that I condone your signature links, I think you're the one going a bit to far. And I only referred to you as Quirk because that was your user name here for a long time. I wasn't even addressing you directly. Did you really think that was an effort to treat you with lower respect? C'mon now.

HTML links from one thread to another are fine. It keeps info from being duplicated in a forum search, but amramsey's comment implied he was hesitant to go to an unfamiliar site. Perhaps he was suggesting a better response would come if Robert just pasted the short list of VIC items.

Not a big deal. Certainly not a reason for another argument. It's not like I edited his post or anything. And I really think you were misreading my tone in that first comment.

Honestly, I'm so sick of the small squabbles. I'm happy there are other places to hang out. I have no reason to attack you or Robert. Address amramsey. In fact this whole exchange can continue over there (and a link can be posted here for those interested).
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

PaulQ wrote:
I'm so glad you noticed, ian. I treat others with the exact same level of respect as they do to me. See if you can catch it this time:
Point taken, I see you could have interpreted Jeff's comment that way but others didn't and it wasn't intentional like yours.

My comment withdrawn.

Let's keep it civil.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready