The optimal VICE PAL VIC aspect ratio

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

The optimal VICE PAL VIC aspect ratio

Post by Boray »

In VICE 2.2, you can set a fix aspect ratio in Settings/Video settings/Keep aspect ratio. The default is quite dreadful...

Well, I measured the Vic-20 output on a LCD TV (set to 4:3 display). I then tried to get the exact same aspect ratio on my computer's LCD monitor. I came up with a setting of 0.809

I'm using it windowed with double size and PAL emulation and it looks really nice.

Has anyone else done the same thing?

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Well, I didn't measure anything but just by eye I ended up adjusting it to .833. First, I set it to .800 and then threw in another bit for good luck. It became .833 rather than .830 because I hit the 3 key twice by accident on my flaky keyboard... Pretty close if I say so myself! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I followed tlr's suggestion and .825 looks just fine for me :wink: .
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

I just measured on my Philips CM-8833 monitor and checked against VICE and came up with 0.810. Looks great now, similar on VICE and on the real monitor, thanks for the hint!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Should we change the emulator on the front page?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Well, I didn't measure anything but just by eye I ended up adjusting it to .833. First, I set it to .800 and then threw in another bit for good luck. It became .833 rather than .830 because I hit the 3 key twice by accident on my flaky keyboard... Pretty close if I say so myself! :)
I did the same thing, although I didn't fine-tune it very much. I tried 0.900 (too wide), 0.700 (too narrow), and finally ended up with 0.800.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Jeff-20 wrote:Should we change the emulator on the front page?
If it's easy enough why not?

OT: what are the chances of your games being added to the emu, Jeff?
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Has anyone done something like this for the other VICE emulators? The C64 for example?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I'm having a major issue with screen caps - I'm wondering why my screencaps are being stretched by my Nvidia card. The aspect ratio in my actual display is perfect (0.84)...I tried every variation of Video Option in VICE but my screencaps are all stretched horizontally? Anyone having a similar issue with this?
Learning all the time... :)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I suppose you're referring to the menu option 'Snapshot > Save/stop media file ...' in VICE. In that case, this has nothing to do with your graphics adapter card. VICE always saves the screen buffer contents before any filters (such as rescaling and TV system emulation) are applied. And this screen buffer happens to use a 2:1 pixel aspect ratio.

If you want the filtered output, highlight the VICE window, use Alt+PrntScrn (this will just put the window in focus into the clipboard), and then paste the clipboard data into the image viewer of your choice.

I actually prefer the unfiltered output, because I then can apply filters of my own choice. ;)
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

That's what I've been doing as an alternative (print screen and paste into a viewer)...cool never knew about the screen buffer 2:1 ratio...makes total sense now.
Thanks Mike
:D
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

This 2:1 ratio (i.e. simple pixel doubling) was what VICE always used for display until around version 2.1 when fractional pixel aspect ratios were introduced. Of course that value of 2:1 had been totally off.

It still leaves its marks because one still specifies the pixel aspect ratio within VICE in ratio to this pixel doubled screen. :roll: You actually get a real pixel aspect ratio of 1.666:1, when you specify 0.833 (what I happen to use for PAL, btw.)
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I honestly thought that the True Aspect ratio of .84 was a close enough approximation of it so I didn't complain but putting it 'to the thirds' made a noticeable difference :shock:
Wow, it looks proper now - even to my eyes - it looked true right away!!!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hmm? I was under the impression, that NTSC had a different pixel aspect ratio more like 1.5:1 (which would correspond to 0.750 in VICE). :?

I got my value a long time ago by measuring the width and height of the text window of the VIC-20 on a TV set, which had been confirmed before to draw perfect circles with a standard test image of a broadcast station. The text window has 176 pixels width and 184 pixels height.

I don't remember the exact measurements, but the calculation went similar to this example:

Width: ~44 cm
Height: ~27.5 cm

Now, a single pixel has a width of (44/176) cm and height of (27.5/184) cm. Dividing the width of the pixel by its height gives the pixel aspect ratio thus:

Code: Select all

44      27.5     44   * 184
------ / ------ = ------------ ~= 1.67
 176       184     27.5 * 176
... which is surely not more accurate than 2 digits after the decimal point.

Finally, I approximated this value of 1.67 with a fraction using small integers in numerator and denominator, and came up with 5/3 = 1.666...
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Either my eyes deceive me and my recollection of my TV days isn't what it used to be. I could be wrong...wouldn't be the first time :)
(EDIT) Did some double-checking (took the screencaps and did some overlays) and yup...I am way off and 1.5:1 is indeed correct.