OFF TOPIC: AC power transformer question

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

OFF TOPIC: AC power transformer question

Post by Jeff-20 »

Note: I know very little about electronics.

I just got a slot machine via mail from what I now know to be a bad dealer. The power plug was disconnected in route due to lack of packing material and jostling.

So here's my problem. I am trying to reinstall it, but I keep getting error messages and system crashes. Here's what the transformer looked like...

Code: Select all

white wire ----|   Transformer   |----straight connector  
 (attached AC)   
                                 |---\  bent connector

black wire ----|                 |----\   bent connector  
 (attached AC)   

disconnected wire to Machine      -----  (one white)
                                   ---(one black)

The transformer has exposed coil and is attached to the machine and to the black and white AC wires leading to an outlet plug.

The machine had Black and White wires that obviously came loose from the machines original power system (with two ON/OFF switches and two fuses.) These should somehow connect to the transformer.

I tried to connect it... I put the white to the top connection (straight) and the black to the lower bent one and it came on with ERRORS. I assume that the voltage was incorrect. Enough to make it malfunction.

I don't want to screw it up more, so how should I try to connect it?

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

Hmm... You say there are two bent pins on the transformer. I can't tell from the image, but I would suspect the wires may have been connected to the bent pins. When they unit was damaged, the wire was pulled hard and ultimately pulled the wire off the transformer, bending the pins.

You may be able to see solder on the bent pins (I presume those wires were soldered on... If not no wonder they came off so easily).

The actual polarity of the wire shouldn't matter, since the transformer is AC.

Can you show us a closeup of the pins?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

the two lower pins on the left side of the pic (the left side has 3 pins) are bent inward. They were not soldered! Just slide on covers. The white cover fell off when I touched it exposing the wire in the pic.

When I attached it to the two bent pins, it came on screaming with an error. I suspect the error has something to do with incorrect voltage. I worry I may be damaging the machine.

The hopper (a part where coins are collected) is designed to be lose in the machine. It may have moved during transit and pulled the wires off, but it would seem to take a lot of force to bend it. I wish there were some evidence of solder to figure this out. Can you explain why polarity wouldn't matter? With three options for two wires, I am confused.
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

Well, at least you know you have covered 2 of the 3 possible combinations.

Someone with better understading of transformers may be able to correct me, but with three outputs on the transformer, it may allow for 2 different voltages (much like 3 wire AC in your house allows for 110 or 220 depending which connections you use).

If you feel up to it, you might want to take a multimeter and measure the AC voltage
across the pins. Test all of the combinations (IE A-C, A-B, B-C) if the pins are considered A-B-C. That way you will know what voltage options you have.

The polarity isn't an issue, since AC is just a waveform, you are just inverting it if you have it backwards,unlike DC where you can upset capacitors and other polarity sensitive electronics.

What kind of slot machine is it? It may be a long shot, but someone at work bought a tabletop slot machine and it may have a similar power system I could investigate....
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Speed Racer. A "Pachislo" machine from Japan.
bbell
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by bbell »

Ok... I went to the pachislo site and found this page:

http://www.pachislo.com/pachislo/parts_ ... ormer.html

It shows a handful of transformers.

Yours looks like the top transformer, rated at 24V. Unfortunately they don't show the connections.

Good news is all the other transformers are the same voltage, just lower power handling.

I also checked the machine here, it was also 24V (although a different brand).

So, I would presume 24V AC is what you are aiming for.

Can you take a mutimeter to it and test the possiblilities?
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I don't really have electronic equipment, so I cannot test it. I hooked the white wire to the top (straight) pin and the black to the center pin. It now powers up but doesn't seem to accept coins. I am waiting for tech support, but the people who sold it to me seem completely incompetent.

The inside is a maze of electronics. I have no idea whats wrong. I am now trying to figure out the coin mech.