Vic-20 copy command from one diskette to another

Discuss anything related to the VIC
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

Vic-20 copy command from one diskette to another

Post by fsporsche »

Hello there

I was wondering if anyone knew the command to copy from one diskette to another or is there any program that lets you copy diskettes on the fly?

Fred
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: Vic-20 copy command from one diskette to another

Post by Bacon »

fsporsche wrote:Hello there

I was wondering if anyone knew the command to copy from one diskette to another or is there any program that lets you copy diskettes on the fly?

Fred
There is no command to copy diskettes, or even single files. There was a discussion about this recently and I seem to remember a disk copy program being mentioned but I'm not sure.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by fsporsche »

Thanks for your reply...I am trying to copy entire diskettes from my 1541 drive.. I know the commodore c16/plus and the c64 have one but i am trying to find one for my vic20.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Dude, could you shrink your avatar a bit?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by fsporsche »

will try to shrink it a bit...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for understanding. Sorry to put you on the spot, but that thing is HUGE! Like 400% what the stated limit is. On an Iphone, it take makes the thread unreadable.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

fsporsche wrote:Thanks for your reply...I am trying to copy entire diskettes from my 1541 drive.. I know the commodore c16/plus and the c64 have one but i am trying to find one for my vic20.
A standard VIC-20 has 3KB RAM. A 1541 disk has 160KB. How many disk changes are nessecary to copy a full disk? Even if the program size = 0 Bytes you would need 46 disk changes.

This is maybe the reason cause nobody has made a VIC diskcopy ... :wink:

But now we have a Final Expansion 3 and we could do a diskcopy with one read session. :D
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

If I'm not wrong the JiffyDOS has a command to copy files and/or disks...

btw I agree, a diskcopy tool for a vic with at least 2 drives to avoid swap is a good idea or with a single drive but for a VIC+32K.

If you write the program for BLK5, you have 24K free for swap, about 7 disk change needed.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Certainly, two physical disk drives are needed really to get a Commodore computer to be at all practical, especially for file management. Even if you can only get one 1540 or the old white 1541 to match the VIC 20, simply having any other disk drive hooked up is worth it.

Any serious file management program that we could come up with would probably take for granted the presence of two drives (I realise I might be inviting an argument.)
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

nbla000 wrote:If I'm not wrong the JiffyDOS has a command to copy files and/or disks...
JiffyDOS has a built-in file copier but not a disk copier.

Still in Portland, Oregon,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
CommVEx v6 2010 - http://www.commodore.ca/forum and click on ComVEX
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Still, if one had a drive #8 AND drive #9, a diskcopy could fit on a standard VIC, no? I guess I may be just expecting too much from those Italian jiffy dudes ... :wink:
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Who here doesn't have a 32k expansion or at least two drives or all of the above? I would presume most people who would be interested in a Vic disk copying program would also have this kind of gear.

Personally, I would like a disk copying program so that I can copy my Psytronik disks in their original format onto my uIEC or FE3. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

fsporsche wrote:will try to shrink it a bit...
Here you go: Image

Shrunk to the maximum allowed size. Please use it. Your current avatar isn't as bad on my netbook as it is on Jeff's Iphone, but it still takes up a huge amount of screen real estate.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by fsporsche »

Thank you very much Bacon....