Introduce Yourself: What's your User Name based on?

Sticky Threads and Annoucements
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

TarkaTOtter wrote: When I left RAF I joined IBM (because of the PC security) and now I do Websphere app server support - whew that makes my life seem very short when I say it like that. :lol:
What a coincident, we've got some issues with Websphere at work... :)
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
TarkaTOtter
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by TarkaTOtter »

bokvamme wrote:
TarkaTOtter wrote: When I left RAF I joined IBM (because of the PC security) and now I do Websphere app server support - whew that makes my life seem very short when I say it like that. :lol:
What a coincident, we've got some issues with Websphere at work... :)
If you want to PM me your welcome
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

TarkaTOtter wrote: If you want to PM me your welcome
Thanks, problem solved now. We had a very slow throughput. A setting not recommended was turned on and voila, Websphere now pull about about 4 times more jobs/data from MQ. Don't know the details I'm afraid.
As the guy responsible for the servers (2 x Sun X4170) I was the one who got the blame at first, but this was clearly an application configuration issue.

anyway back to Vic 20... :)
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
Mermaid
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Mermaid »

Why Mermaid?

Here's the short version: I grew up on an island and love the sea, I found it easy to identify with H.C. Andersen's tragic fairytale "the Little Mermaid" and I quite like the Disney movie (not so much the sequel...) as well.

Muir Oigh (C64, 2008): Not all mermaids are fluffy and harmless.

I actually registered for Denial back in 2004 and have been lurking here a bit but not so much in recent years. I grew up with a C64, and didn't get a Vic 20 until 1994 when I stumbled across one in a local 2nd hand store - I just had to buy it and see what it was like. It came with one or two tapes with games and no memory expansion or anything. I tested the games (there was one fullscreen asteroids clone that really impressed me at the time) and then pretty much just put it in storage.

By 2002 I had found a copy of the programmers reference guide online and Aleksi Eeben's "Fisichella" music editor, so I dug out the Vic and wrote some simple demos for it, they are on Aleksi's first unexpanded demo compilation disk. I also did some pictures using his "Picasso" graphics editor (closely modeled after "Zoomatic", my favourite C64 graphics editor), one of which was spread with the editor as an example picture, I still have some unreleased graphics and music and things which I'm hoping to use for something eventually.

Though I do love the Vic 20, I've spent most of my spare time on the C64, mainly drawing pictures:

Image Image
Image Image
thebytewasbit
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by thebytewasbit »

Well I came up w/ my username because I wanted something catchy but yet had a meaning of course. Since there's 8 bits in a byte it's kinda like the bits "transformed" into a byte or that the byte was once bit(s).

Also it is a play on words such as the byte actually being bitten by something.

Speaking of such that gives me an idea for a logo/mascot transformed into a game that would be an old school robot eating 1's & 0's.

:lol:
Archmage
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Archmage »

Hi, I am Archmage from Norway. The handlestory goes back to 1990 when I was a very active demoscener on the Amiga. I guess my long time passed role playing game-interest was the main reason why I took the name.

I am currently doing a lot of graphics in the C64 scene, but I am also interested in Commodore hardware in general and I hope to get hold of a VIC20 very soon. I have done a little bit of gfx in Eeben's excellent Picasso, but none of it has made it out there yet. I hope to do more in the near future. :D
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Welcome, Archmage... glad to see you here too. Mermaid's Picasso picture inspired my interest in VIC-20 graphics, it's good to see you are interested as well (after seeing your great C64 work!). :-)
Nux666
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Nux666 »

Hi.
Well, I had a VIC-20 in the early 1980's, I was still just too young to learn how to do any programming, since almost all the books were in english, but I did enter quite a few of the examples of basic games so I could have some fun. We did not hav a casette or floppy drive in the beginning. I advanced into C64, Amiga and then PC. But lately, I have found myself more and more often starting up VICE in VIC-20 mode, unexpanded. It facinates me how much was actually possible to do with that small ammount of memory and the simple basic language. I have been lurking around in this forum, trying to locate books, so I could learn how to really use this actually amasing but very small computer. I have found quite an extencive ammount of info about the VIC, and just figured I'd join in her, since I'm allready spending alot of my online time here.

I run VICE in Linux, and it actually works really fine, even in full screen.

Of to the subject, Nux is as you probably guessed short for Linux, and the 666 is just an insight into how I play Quakelive.

I do not own my own VIC-20, so I'm just wondering, how many of you guys actuallt do programming on a real VIC-20?
1984again
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by 1984again »

Hello!

I've been told on Lemon to join this forum so here I am.

I got a VIC-20 around 1982 for Christmas. I shouldn't say *I* really but it was mainly used by me and my older brother who knew how to program computers. He did quite a lot with his ZX81 and began moving up to color computers with the VIC-20. I had a lot of fun that night when I hooked it up in my parent's bedroom (they had a small color tv) and just started typing in all the little programs from the user guide and being quite amazed at every turn-out. So from then on, I've used various Commodore computers up until around 1994.

I recently scored a VIC-20 who I later found out the seller is in these forums! It brought back a lot of fond memories.

I never did any real programming for the VIC 20 but I think now I'm curious to see what I can learn and do with only 3.5K of memory. I might even learn ML.

I chose the user name 1984again because I feel 1984 was just an awesome year for a lot of great things like Commodore computers, comics, music, books, movies. I guess I'm trying to re-live some of those moments. The things that made us happy in a much simpler world where 64K was enough memory to do just about everything with your computer, 1200 baud was just enough to download your programs and you walked out in the street and people actually watched where they were going because their ears weren't plastered to a cell phone, etc.
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Welcome aboard.

I also have a peculiar fascination with the year 1984; mainly because it's the year Ghostbusters was released. I was born in 1981 and the early eighties has always felt like an uncharted territory to me; a period I can never know, yet constantly seek to know.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Mermaid wrote: Image
This picture in particular is one I find very compelling. I must know the real story behind it, because it resonates with me.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Hi All

Just introducing myself:-

My Username is based on a character in "Dragon Quest VIII - Journey of the cursed king"

Had a VIC 20 way back when they first came out, currently on a retro programming trip with the VIC 20 + Plus/4.

Only using emulation ATM on both fronts, hoping to pick up some real hardware soon.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

dunno, if i my name posted already?

stole it from another guy on the internet, was looking for a easy name to remember on various forums, so i found a user named "Luzur" on some art forum and grabbed it, so theres actually 2 different Luzur's cruising on the net.

other then that, i know its american slang for Loser.
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

vk4akp
Vic 20 Drifter

HI

Post by vk4akp »

Hi, My nick is my ham radio callsign. I'm a very keen Ham Op and love retro computing as well.

In the day I worked for a CBM outlet here in Australia approaching almost 10 years.

I collect and enjoy many of the old Retro computers with my biggest interest being Commodore.

My first computer I ever owned was a Vic-20.

I ran a BBS back in the day on a c64 (Punter BBS) and later an Amiga 1000 then Amiga 3000 (Many different BBS software, finally CNet). It was The Transcendental Connection FIDO 3:640/281.

When the internet came along I eventually took the BBS offline so I could have dial up internet. However the phone rang hot with BBS users right up till the day I had to disconnect it in favor of a cheaper VoIP line and Cable internet.

I'm currently looking to try and recover my Punter BBS software and files to release to the retro community so if anyone can help with a SFD-1001 or 8250LP drive to try and read my old disks before they are lost to history please contact me.

I love what you guys have done with Denial here.

Can anyone tell me why I can't get this forum to accept my Avitar link?

I've tried both.

http://shazam.zapto.org/personal/VK4AKP&J_Avitar.jpg
http://www.qsl.net/vk4akp/photos/VK4AKP&J_Avitar.jpg

Without success. The system just comes back saying invalid url.

If anyone would like to visit my site or see any of my collection / recoveries. You can go to http://shazam.zapto.org click IGAL for pictures. And there is a small message forum available online as well.

We hope to grow and develop the site further as time allows.

We also run an Asterisk PBX and Retro Party line that people can access for the cost of a local call from most major places in the world. Or totally free via VoIP and broadband.

~Ken~
vk4akp
.-.-.
Ravin' Ray
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Ravin' Ray »

Ok.

I've lurked here a couple of times in the past few years, and now decided to take the plunge and join in.

The VIC-20 was the first computer we ever had when my Dad took home one from his trip to the US in 1982. It came with the C2N Datasettet and a Demon Attack cartridge, and before I got into BASIC the game what we all used the VIC for at first. Our hardware collection later grew to several games, mostly from Commodore (Gorf, Omega Race, Alien, Radar Rat Race, the Frogger clone Princess and Frog, and a 16KB RAM expander).

My VIC stopped working years ago, and since there is no more Commodore dealer in the Philippines I haven't had it serviced. So it's stored in the crate for one of my monitors, the original box having been lost ages ago. I also have a 64 but that too is not working.

And for my name? Well, the "Ray" is my nickname shortened from my first name, and the "Ravin'" rhymes in part with that and shows how I feel about about something I like.