New VIC dreams

Discuss anything related to the VIC
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

A few nights ago I came across one of those stores with an impressive selection of unheard of computer games. This time it was both VIC-20 and other titles, most for those really obscure systems like a whole array of cartridges (!) for the COMX-35 and also Sord M5. Quite a lot of the titles were even multi-format, which pleased me even more since I could run the same program on several of my computers. I just wonder how that worked.. Basicode? :lol:

I can't recall if the games were pricy or not, but I thought I'd better get as many as I can before another collector shows up. Gah.. this collector competition shows up even in my sleep.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Your subconscious is telling you something.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

This reminds me of Paul Panks. I hope his parents are doing well.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, it seems vintage computing/gaming related dreams are far more common among us than some may admit. I'd even think some of you have repressed dreams. 8)
Anders Carlsson

saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

I've had numerous dreams of finding retro computing hoards for sale (cheap!) in various obscure thrift stores... boxed games, computers, etc. Was disappointed that it wasn't real when I woke up. ;-)
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

carlsson wrote:Well, it seems vintage computing/gaming related dreams are far more common among us than some may admit.
I'm willing to admit I have them but they tend to be positive in nature. Yours sounded anxiety driven.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I've never had a dream about anything VIC 20 related ... perhaps because all my dreams with it have come true: Mega-Cart, uIEC, and eating that first key in Quikman. :P
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I think this thread has inspired my brain. Last night I had a dream about my Vic being retro-fitted into a tower case with a SX 64 keyboard. There was some other stuff and the dream had a strange and skewed atmosphere but, for the life of me, I can't remember what else happened...! All I remember is that it wasn't a happy-clappy dream - not what I would've expected of a dream with a Vic in it. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Perhaps you realized an SX-20 means anyone could grab it and run, and you lose the whole setup in once. Such thoughts might get you in a strange mood.
Anders Carlsson

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

To be honest, it's probably more to do with guilt relating to spending money that I can't really afford! Being made unemployed yesterday (after buying Temple of Apshai and a FE3!) doesn't help!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Enjoy your time away from work, even squandering a little time and money on other pursuits ... it's nerve-wrecking the first week, but it's just another page in your history that won't matter to anyone else in a 100-years.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Too true! Maybe I'll find the time to write the game that's been in my head for a few months...though it'll, no doubt, be a bit rubbish! :P
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

A couple of nights ago I had a dream where the Vic-20 was getting accused of causing obesity in America. So to redeem its reputation, I kicked down the back door of a random McDonalds ready to fight. When I got inside I saw that I was outnumbered (three to one) so instead of fighting I said something like "fries in the house, yo'!". One of the employees lead me to a kitchen area where I began making free French fries for people... It was pretty bizarre, and I have no idea how giving away fries would stop people from believing the Vic-20 was responsible for obesity. Of course, I don't know why anyone would believe that anyway.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Last night, I had a dream that Jeff stopped by my cottage for a visit. He brought with him an old, obscure tape that had various utilities on it that he was going to give to me. I looked around for a cassette drive to try it out in, and I saw a 3rd party one that, in my dream, I picked up a while ago in some other dream. It was unusual in that the tape door wasn't clear; it was solid brown, as were the rather large buttons which were sticking and not working quite right. The case was cream coloured (so it coordinated with a Vic), and the corners were squared off. The name of it was something like "Tac Pac." Jeff seemed very interested in it, so I told him he could have it in exchange for the tape, as I had plenty of C2N's. I checked out the programs printed on the label of the tape, and one said "64k reader." I asked Jeff if that meant I needed 64k RAM expansion, and he told me that I actually needed something known as the 64k expansion module. I asked him if any RAM expander would do, but he clarified that the 64k expansion module wasn't RAM, it was something necessary for programs like the 64k reader to work. He started telling me how I could get one, then I asked him if it was on the MegaCart, and he assured me it was; so I was good to go.

Jeff had to go to Chicago, and I had to go to Starbucks to feed my caffeine habit and meet up with Pitcalco, so Jeff took the odd tape deck, I filed away the tape, and that concluded the Vic 20 part of the dream.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

OMG! I had my first VIC dream last night! But I have to rush to work, so I don't have time to describe it now. Hopefully, I'll remember when I return home.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.