Commodore Plus/4 Power Supply

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

Commodore Plus/4 Power Supply

Post by Ihavenousername »

While I was looking around the internet today I found a Commodore Plus/4 computer, with the user manual, for only around $10.

But, after I had already purchased the computer, I realized that the Plus/4 uses a special power supply which I don't have or know how to get. I heard that a Commodore 128 power supply has almost the same pinout, and might be able to work with a Plus/4 if an extra pin is removed, but I'm not completely sure if it would work, or if its worth ruining a 128's power supply.

Does anyone know where I can get a Plus/4 power supply, or if there are any other types of power supply's with the same pinout? I appreciate any help with this. I'm glad I found a Plus/4, but its pretty useless if I can't even turn it on.
Bacon
for breakfast

Re: Commodore Plus/4 Power Supply

Post by Bacon »

Ihavenousername wrote:Does anyone know where I can get a Plus/4 power supply, or if there are any other types of power supply's with the same pinout? I appreciate any help with this. I'm glad I found a Plus/4, but its pretty useless if I can't even turn it on.
I don't think a C128 PSU will work, but a C64 PSU will if you replace the Plus/4's square power conenctor with one from a C64. Ray Carlsen explains it all.

Some Plus/4's even come with a standard C64 power connector. One of mine does.

I have a spare Plus/4 PSU but unfortunately it's a European PSU (240V, 50Hz) so it wouldn't be of any use for you.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I think there are two types of Plus/4s. With square power plugs and round ones. And if it's a round one, a c64 power supply will work.

But yours has a square one then?
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... supply.gif

As you can see here:
http://www.hardwarebook.info/C128_Power_Supply

...you can't just cut off the middle pin of a c128 psu because it's 9V there... And I don't think that the four corner pins are positioned in the same spots either.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

I'm not sure if the Plus/4 I got is four or seven pin, so I guess I just have to wait and find out.

Usually I like the earlier models when it comes to computers, but this time I hope it's the later model. Because I would much rather get a C64 power supply then a $60 Plus/4 supply.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I have four original Plus/4 4-pin type power supplies for sale here.

Asking 15$ plus shipping.
Be normal.
Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

eslapion wrote:I have four original Plus/4 4-pin type power supplies for sale here.

Asking 15$ plus shipping.
Wow. That's cheaper then any others I've seen.

If my Plus/4 needs a four pin one, maybe I'll take your offer.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

Eslapion is a good guy to deal with; I've bought stuff from him before, and he's 100% genuine. I've bought an Amiga 2000 and a Behr Bonz cart from the guy, both have been exceptional deals. I think the guy doesn't charge enough. If I needed a power supply, he's the guy I'd buy from.

Just my $0.02.
Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

Thanks.

It's good to know that, seeing as I'll probably need to buy the power supply.
I like knowing that the person I'm buying something from is someone I can trust.