New Commodore website, new Commodore machine

Discuss anything related to the VIC
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

English Invader wrote:How does the C= laptop fare in comparison to the ones on the high street?
It's not half bad actually. The backlighting is LED, it has a proper (and large) hard disk and they keyboard is big enough to type on comfortably. Commodore never actually brought them to market though -- it's a "prototype". The word makes me roll my eyes because it's really just a generic netbook from some Chinese/Taiwanese OEM that is sold under a variety of different names. I doubt Commodore would have made any money with these things as the netbook market is flooded and margins are ridiculously low. It isn't like Commodore name has any real pull anymore. That's the sad part of all this. The wannabe quick buck artists who license the name actually think they can make a buck off it. Idjits.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

The most likely scenario to succeed would be to do a very custom distro of Linux with musician and emulation apps pre-loaded (none of the hoops I had to jump through on Ubuntu to get VICE to run), Commodore themed wallpapers and GUI look and feel. It should be a convenient, easy platform to all things Commodore -- not just a recycled name and logo.

The unit would need to come with some kind of Commodore to PC accessory included to bridge the gap between old and new hardware and encourage those e-bay buys -- and yeah, the all in one case would be a bonus.

As gklinger writes, they'd need to go all the way. If it was a good enough effort and unique enough as a quality computer the appeal would extend beyond hardcore fans of old and even to those casually interested in the Commodore brand. Retro things have an appeal and lure of a secret world of lost knowledge that anyone can enjoy.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I agree with the sentiment above.

If 'Commodore' released a AIO unit with a custom Linux distro or (even better!) a modernised, fleshed out GEOS with instant old school emulation (hold F1 on boot for instant C64 fun!) they could really capture the cool retro market - especially if they merchandised the crap out of it! Retro t-shirts with the Commodore logo free with every machine, that kind of thing. God, they could even put a SID-Stick in a case and give them away with the machine. The thing is to grab the retro/nostalgia factor they've got to do it while at least some people know what Commodore once was...

I really believe there is potential for a quirky wee computer with a pixel art GUI that can play all those old games and have a built in language (a Java build called Commodore Coffee!?) for 'hacking'. It would just have to be able to browse the 'net etc for when the shine came off the initial purchase...

In fact, I want one right now! Where can I order it? :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I really believe there is potential for a quirky wee computer with a pixel art GUI that can play all those old games and have a built in language (a Java build called Commodore Coffee!?) for 'hacking'. It would just have to be able to browse the 'net etc for when the shine came off the initial purchase...

In fact, I want one right now! Where can I order it? :P
Well, there is the C-One, not quite the same...but it's a modern retro-computer platform.

The C64 DTV was the only modern product using the Commodore name that made any sense. It was almost perfect except for a couple of things:

The joystick should have been retro coloured (beige and brown).
After the initial joystick run, it would have been great if they just offered a C-64 coloured plastic "box" (essentially the CPU) with all the ports for retro joysticks, PC keyboard, IEC port, etc. Basically a pre-hacked DTV in a tiny, retro styled case. This could have been a much smaller run product just for the retro sales.

I do realise that all the my wishes are probably not practical from a manufacturing/marketing standpoint - especially for a company the size of Yeahronimo (or whoever marketed the DTV). But it would be great if a smaller, more retro oriented company, could have bought the DTV design after the product run was over and offered a product like this.

It doesn't seem like there will ever be another DTV run, so why not make some more money off the PCB design?
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:The joystick should have been retro coloured (beige and brown).
Why? There weren't any joysticks that had the same colour scheme as the 64 (that I'm aware of anyway). The C64DTV was modelled on the Competition Pro in look and colour which I think was an appropriate choice even if I would have preferred that it look like a Wico bat (which was also red and black, BTW).
After the initial joystick run, it would have been great if they just offered a C-64 coloured plastic "box" (essentially the CPU) with all the ports for retro joysticks, PC keyboard, IEC port, etc. Basically a pre-hacked DTV in a tiny, retro styled case. This could have been a much smaller run product just for the retro sales.
How small a product run do you think that would have been? How much do you think it would have cost to make? Definitely not economically viable.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

gklinger wrote:
ral-clan wrote:The joystick should have been retro coloured (beige and brown).
Why? There weren't any joysticks that had the same colour scheme as the 64 (that I'm aware of anyway). The C64DTV was modelled on the Competition Pro in look and colour which I think was an appropriate choice even if I would have preferred that it look like a Wico bat (which was also red and black, BTW).
I understand your point - although to me, also, it was the WICO bat. I wasn't even aware of the Competition Pro joystick back in the early 1980s - I think that was a more European experience. It's funny that the two Competition Pro type joysticks I have now were actually clones sold by SunComm and are white with red buttons - I've never seen a black one here in Canada, so the Competition Pro nostalgia link to the C64 DTV didn't really resonate with me.

But I'm thinking that the whole experience being sold with the DTV was nostalgia of the original C64 computer itself, not the joystick. So I wish the case had been more styled along the look of the C64, rather than a third party product not everyone was familiar with. That would have been a more universally familiar retro-experience. I am not totally against the Competition Pro look. I think it's a second best choice.

I thought the Atari Flashback console was perfect, for instance.
How small a product run do you think that would have been? How much do you think it would have cost to make? Definitely not economically viable.
Again, as I stated, it's probably a pipe dream, and not ecomonically viable (especially for a big toy company like Yeahronimo that doesn't want to dabble in small runs). But it just seems that there must still be a market for at DTV based produce like I described. Something that a smaller (much smaller) company could take on. You sort of see something like this in the Amiga world, with the MiniMig, Natami....

Yes, not practical. Cool, but not enough customers. I suppose there are still more real C64s out there than people who actually want to own one.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

ral-clan wrote:It's funny that the two Competition Pro type joysticks I have now were actually clones sold by SunComm and are white with red buttons - I've never seen a black one here in Canada...
In addition to the black ones, I have a clear Competition Pro.
But I'm thinking that the whole experience being sold with the DTV was nostalgia of the original C64 computer itself, not the joystick. So I wish the case had been more styled along the look of the C64, rather than a third party product not everyone was familiar with.
Ah, but everybody is familiar with a joystick (even my students who grew up on Playstation and XBox know what to do with a joystick).
I thought the Atari Flashback console was perfect, for instance.
Yeah, Atari Flashback had the console look down.
...not ecomonically viable (especially for a big toy company like Yeahronimo that doesn't want to dabble in small runs).
Mammoth Toys turned down any further prototypes based on the DTV, due to the cost. (Yet, the Radio Shack Hummer DTV was produced, of course).

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
The Other Group of Amigoids
http://www.calweb.com/~rabel1/
Southern California Commodore & Amiga Network
http://www.sccaners.org
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Yeah, they should have definitely gone for the original Commodore form factor! That would be the only reason to buy this over anything else on the market.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

This website has been confirmed to be a hoax. For those who can read French:

http://www.amigaimpact.org/modules/news ... oryid=3833
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:This website has been confirmed to be a hoax.
I think it's a little early to say confirmed. From what I gather, they're saying the same things I said a few days ago. I have made a few inquiries but so far I haven't heard back from anyone so I'm waiting for an official statement (although I'm not sure who is actually "official" at this point). What a sordid mess.

Update: Never did hear back so who knows. :(
Last edited by gklinger on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

There's more of the same today:

http://www.commodoreusa.net/amigo.html

Just another rebadged all-in-one keyboard PC. No one's sure if this is a joke or not (but based on the low quality web-page design it's very suspicious).

I must admit though I am strangely attracted to these all in one wedge designs, even if they offer no really practical benefit (other than a little space saved). I guess that is my Commodore roots showing.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

From the description:
In fact, it looks so simple it's hard to believe it's a computer at all.
Smells like a long dead poisson d'avril 8) . And no Commodore logo on the computer.
Luzur
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Luzur »

ral-clan wrote:This website has been confirmed to be a hoax. For those who can read French:

http://www.amigaimpact.org/modules/news ... oryid=3833
It is via its website that "Commodore USA" has announced the upcoming release on 1 June 2010 to be precise, his computer keyboard Commodore (images available in "read more").

Their slogan is simple but effective is the following: "loved us then ... you'll love us again!" (Ie "You love us so ... you still like us!").

The question now is who is behind this "Commodore USA" and they have regained the rights to use the name Commodore Nedfield / Tulip (which declared bankruptcy last September) or Yeahronimo (the American box that was supposed to have acquired the rights in 2004, remember, who has since declared bankruptcy in April 2008), or Commodore Gaming (the only branch of the tree is not, apparently, fallen) . Everything we know at the moment is that it is neither more nor less than one PC All-In-One "Cybernet, photos available at Commodore U.S. was the same as the site of Cybernet, like the creation page setup ...

So do Yeahronimo (or Tulip) merged with Cybernet following its bankruptcy and decided to use the name Commodore? Does Cybernet has purchased a license Commodore? Are you planning to buy a Commodore All-in-One to install Windows (XP, Vista or 7), MacOS X (at the expense of the user, according to the "site), Ubuntu or Linux?
"Are you keeping up with Commodore? cuz Commodore is keeping up with you!" ;)

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Yes Luzur, I know. The message you quote in response to my question was actually written by me. But as Golan said after that, it is not actually 100% confirmed. As well, the website has been kept going and even expanded with new "products" for almost a month now.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Yup, apparently the website has grown with an online store and products available worldwide:
WORLDWIDE DELIVERY AVAILABLE NOW
PLEASE ALLOW APPROX. 3 WEEKS FOR DELIVERY. THESE BAREBONES & CONFIGURED SYSYEMS WILL NOT BE BRANDED WITH THE COMMODORE LOGO OR MARKINGS. THESE SELF-ADHESIVE LOGO LABEL PLATES WILL BE SHIPPED TO YOU AT NO CHARGE WHEN THEY ARE AVAILABLE.
I can't understand why they don't label their products - maybe they're not Commodore enough? :P
Anyway, this one's not so bad (looks like a late incarnation of the Plus4, maybe it will share the same fate :wink:) , and the price of the BASIC version (BASIC? Uhm...) is interesting:

I wonder if it's got four built-in programs...