What OS are you using at home?

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

What OS are you using most of the time at home?

Windows 7
21%
Windows Vista
18%
Windows XP
36%
Other Windows
No votes
Fedora
No votes
Mandriva
No votes
OpenSUSE
4%
Ubuntu
4%
Puppy Linux
No votes
Other Linux
4%
Mac OS X
7%
Mac OS Classic
No votes
Amiga OS 4
No votes
Amiga OS Classic
4%
CBM Basic V2
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:OS X I have found to be, shall we say, unfriendly with a smile on it's face.
What's the problem you're having? Maybe I can help you sort it out.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I've been using Ubuntu 9.10 lately, still learning my way around it though. Dual-boot back into XP every so often for running music software.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Schema wrote:I've been using Ubuntu 9.10 lately, still learning my way around it though. Dual-boot back into XP every so often for running music software.
Have you considered virtualization?
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Boray wrote:
ral-clan wrote:Pretty much split between Windows XP and AmigaOS 3.x (running in UAE on the PC). I don't think I'll upgrade for a while yet - those two do everything I need to.
Was it you who marked Amiga OS Classic then?
Yes, I figured since I'm 50/50 between XP and AmigaOS Classic, and I was only allowed to choose one, I'd give AmigaOS Classic the boost it needed.

I use AmigaOS for 95% of my graphics 2D bitmap stuff and 3D modelling (Aladdin4d, Lightwave, DeluxePaint, ImageFX, etc.), my MIDI music work (Bars & Pipes) and some other things (including the very ocassional gaming). The only time I switch over to windows for graphic work is to use IrfanView for image conversion, cropping, etc. (the Amiga is equally capable of this - it's just that IrfanView is small and loads up quickly).

Windows XP is for running Sony Vegas (video), Reaper (audio recording) and general internet browsing.

Windows XP pretty much covers all my "modern" computing needs (I have never been limited by it). Is there any really compelling reason for the average computer user to upgrade beyond Windows XP if they own a PC? What can't Windows XP do that Windows 7 can? I'm talking about reasons beyond "you won't be able to get drivers soon" - that's not a functional reason - that's planned obsolesence.

This comes from a guy who was using Windows 98 on his PC until 2008 and who didn't find that very limiting either - the only problem I ever encountered in Windows 98 was when I got into video editing and the old file-system had a 2 or 4GB file limit - oh and the USB support could have been better.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

English Invader wrote:So, what's the general feeling about Windows 7? Is it a viable successor to XP? And is there much difference from Vista?
I never used Vista. I went straight from XP to Windows 7. I do like it and it seems to work OK. However, my feeling remains the same now as it did throughout the entire development of Windows, namely: That the development is largely aesthetic and more a question of bells and whistles than it is a matter of substantial functional improvements.

My new HP with Windows 7 has 4 GB RAM, for instance, but aside from all the pretty graphics and sounds I would argue that it does not work any better in terms of getting the job done than my Windows XP-loaded Presario with 256MB did when it was new.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

gklinger wrote:Have you considered virtualization?
Yeah, we use VMware extensively at work so I'm familiar with it, but for home use I thought I'd run both OSes directly to get the best performance. This is especially important for the music software which needs direct hardware access (ASIO, MIDI stuff).
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

However, my feeling remains the same now as it did throughout the entire development of Windows, namely: That the development is largely aesthetic and more a question of bells and whistles than it is a matter of substantial functional improvements.
Thanks for that posting. That's the impression I got too. More bells & whistles, more memory, CPU and hardrive space required, but doesn't really offer any more functionality.

Plus, I'm not too happy with any operating system that needs to connect to the internet to authenticate/authorize when installing (although I'm forced to use them sometimes). The lack of this requirement is one reason I like the older OSes.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Yes, virtualization is no longer an emerging technology, rather many engines are even allowing to replace one another (i.e., KVM can launch a VMware's VMDK).
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Xp for host (as other people need to use the computer as well) - puppy linux guest (for its small footprint and ease of use
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

I've used Puppy to distribute a LiveCD of MAME, Atari, Commodore, etc. games via a custom front-end. Worked great on "low-end" PC machines and my family and friends loved it.

Sometimes it would be the only thing their poor Windows machines could boot after 3 months of normal people's use. :P
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing