Commodore Drive connected to Ethernet

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

Commodore Drive connected to Ethernet

Post by Ihavenousername »

On one of my favorite websites, I came across a modified Commodore disk drive which had been modded to have an Ethernet jack in the back.

But, the only problem is, the person who made it doesn't give any information about how they did it or what it does exactly. But I would love to figure out what it does with the ethernet jack and how to do it.

The drive is used with a C64, not a VIC. But I assume that if something like that could be done with the C64, it could be done with the VIC. Or at least something close to it could be done with the VIC.

I was also wondering if, with a lot of modification, an old Commodore dial-up modem could some how be rebuilt to use Ethernet. I'm pretty sure that it would take a very long time, and a lot of programing and building. And it would have to overcome the fact that dial-up modems and ethernet modems connect to the internet in very different ways. But it seems like there would be some way to do it.

A link to the drive
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Oh, that. It's a load of BS.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
6502dude
megacart

Re: Commodore Drive connected to Ethernet

Post by 6502dude »

Ihavenousername wrote:On one of my favorite websites, I came across a modified Commodore disk drive which had been modded to have an Ethernet jack in the back.
This is really, really funny.

The guy appears to have simple used CAT5 cable and RJ45 jacks in place of standard iEC serial cable.

But, the only problem is, the person who made it doesn't give any information about how they did it or what it does exactly.
This is likely because he hasn't got a clue what difference is between layer 1 & layer 2 is or have the foggiest notion what 802.11 protocol is, or what an ethernet frame looks like.

The notion of encapsulating serial data from 6526 within Ethernet frames (and further adding to overhead) is really stupid.
Ihavenousername wrote: was also wondering if, with a lot of modification, an old Commodore dial-up modem could some how be rebuilt to use Ethernet.
You could use the plastic enclosure. That's just about all that would be useful.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20