Coco new color modes found...

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

rhurst wrote:
Wilson wrote:Clearly you're forgetting the greatest computer of all time: the Commodore SuperPET.
Er, for that 8-bit computer class of the time, that would be the Commodore 128D.
Even with the SuperCPU, it would still be missing a 6809. But the SuperPET wasn't. :D
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

A SuperPET is more fun with one of these:

OS-9 anyone?
Last edited by gklinger on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Wow! That Donkey Kong port to the CoCo3 is almost indistinguishable from the original arcade version. I'm impressed (but does it have the cement level like the VIC-20 version does)!

EDIT: It does!
aaronrls01
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aaronrls01 »

Lol, Ral :D

Its not that it's the game with all levels, but how it makes the game run lol, Read the description at the bottom, It's quite amazing. A Coco 3 running a DK Board emulator at full speed? Thats what I love about the Coco just the raw power, what you can do, Lol and where's the Vic's version I wana see it! :D

Quite amazing, Especially since maybe DK Jr. and Popeye and such run on basicly the same hardware....Hmm.....I should mail him about it. :D

Lol and that sinistaar game looks extreely fun, I wish I had it T.T
I like the 6502....As long as a 6809 is NOWHERE close by.....
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

SuperPET with its 6809 is _better_ than a C128D . . . yeah, well, that's not exactly in line with what is "meant" by best-of-class in an 8-bit home computer / mass market of that time. But simply put another way, what video / sound did SuperPET exactly produce to go along with that engine? And where is its immense software library?

As far as processors, no one can dispute that arcade machines (and quite a few notable titles sported the 6809) were sophisticated for a targeted use than the mass-marketed home computers and gaming consoles of that time -- and they were made more expensive/sophisticated in order to do that one thing -- collect quarters for electronic entertainment.

SuperPET was built primarily for Commodore engineers to make the software for their 6502 machines, no? And I don't recall being able to purchase a SuperPET through normal retail channels (not ebay today, although why bother?). And I thought C= later moved away from SuperPETs to do their development on a VAX... most normal people reading this thread wouldn't put those machines and their associated architectures in the same discussion as Atari, CoCo, and Commodore.

Well, that's my point, if it was truly missed earlier. Kweepa and Wilson had it right when they pointed out that "it would've been nice if the 6809 was put into something a little more graphically oriented" -- where "it" in that context means "a home computer".
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I don't think anybody would, or could, argue that the SuperPET was a mainstream computer. It was developed for an in conjunction with the educational market and sold fairly well. Here in Ontario it was available in retail stores albeit those that focused on computers rather than retailers like K-Mart and Canadian Tire who stuck to popular home computers like the VIC-20 and 64.

I think the appeal of the SuperPET is its flexibility in terms of programming languages and with a Super MMU board (see my earlier photo) you could run OS-9 which is a giant bag of nerd fun. There actually is a fair bit of software for the SuperPET although it isn't as widely distributed as software for the more mainstream machines. While my VIC-20 and 64 were arguably more fun, I *loved* my SuperPET. Speaking of which, I hate to miss an opportunity to post this picture so...

:D

Anyway, this is Denial VIC-20 so it's probably in poor taste to describe anything other than the VIC-20 as being the "greatest computer of all time".

P.S. If anyone is looking for a SuperPET in mint condition, in the box no less, with or without a Super MMU board, send me a PM and we'll talk.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Holy crap, all of those are yours?? I can't imagine owning one, although I like the nerd-bag reference. I have a nice PET 4032 myself:
I keep convincing myself I'll write something "creative" for it for giggles, but alas, VIC 20 fun keeps reeling me back in. :P

And are those A STACK of floppy drives, too?? :shock:
Hmmm ...
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

rhurst wrote:Holy crap, all of those are yours??
They were. I passed most of them on to others in the community.
And are those A STACK of floppy drives, too?? :shock:
Yep. Those are 8050s.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I like the PET with a little monitor. Got one of those? I refuse to post in a thread about the "CoCo" :roll: . . . but since you're talking about the PET...
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

Jeff-20 wrote:I like the PET with a little monitor. Got one of those?
Sure. Here she is:

Ain't she a beauty?
aaronrls01
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aaronrls01 »

Lol don't hate the Coco, it's the most powerful computer when it was released, no question, As it wasn't all "good graphics (Characters) and cheap Micro" Yeah it's graphics didn't seem superior, but when used by the right person they were pretty dang good! :D And when it comes to programming it, it's way easier to do 6809 then 6502 as you don't need as many register flops to do a simple task like filling in RAM and such :D

I am not gona lie, I want a pet.....PET Computer :D

All yeah, you said it'd be perfect if the 6809 was put into a graphicly good system......The pet looks like glorified Text screen no lie.....To me atleast :D
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

aaronrls01 wrote:Lol don't hate the Coco, it's the most powerful computer when it was released, no question
Look, it's great that you love the CoCo but it's time for a reality check. The Color Computer 3 was the most powerful CoCo ever released and it came out almost a year after the first Amiga so describing it as "the most powerful computer when it was released" is utter twaddle. And in case you're planning on accusing me of hating the CoCo, this is mine:

P.S. Tell me again how you're not trolling.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

gklinger wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:I like the PET with a little monitor. Got one of those?
Sure. Here she is:
Ain't she a beauty?
I can't decide if I like the one with the tape drive or the one with the classic square keys. I think I prefer the chunky keyboard or the membrane keys.
I also want to eventually make a retro mod out of one (one no longer functioning, of course). Maybe I'm looking for one of the CBM series.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Ihavenousername
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Ihavenousername »

Even though I prefer Commodore computers to any other kind of computer, I still think the CoCo's are a pretty interesting computer.

I had a chance to either get a CoCo model two or a C64 once, and I actually did almost go with the CoCo. Until I noticed the price was a little over what I could afford. In the end I didn't end up going with either one, since I needed the money for something else, but I still would have liked to own a CoCo.

Again, I prefer Commodore computers, mainly the Vic, over any other computer. But I still think that all computers, such as the CoCo, can be pretty fun and interesting.
aaronrls01
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by aaronrls01 »

Lol I didn't mean the Coco 3, I ment Coco1 but whatever lol :D

So does that Commodore PET have anything more then a text screen? Is it just green on black like the tandy model 1-4's? It looks quite interesting....

Also, What graphics chip is in the vic?